toldailytopic: Which news media source do you trust the most and why?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 14th, 2011 09:27 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

PureX

I think the Frontline documentaries are the best on TV and probably in the world. But they don't always choose subjects that I care about. And they don't cover daily current events. Still, when you want to know about something, in depth and without editorializing, they really do it right.

For daily news I like PBS or the BBC. Sadly, our regular news outlets here in the U.S. have become a joke. They're either editorializing, or advertising, or both, while pretending they're reporting real news.

PureX

What happened to the 'delete post' feature? I double posted and couldn't get rid of the duplicate.

some other dude

Ok , I wasn't thinking outside the box. I don't watch TV, so that's out. Don't read newspapers, except in the summer or when I run across one.

I'd have to go with NPR and CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corp.)

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I only watch Fox News. I think that they are fair and balanced. I don't really like Bill O'reilly because he seems to sometimes put his on swing on some news in order to present his opinion above the facts.

I think CNN is one sided in what it reports about the government. PMS NBC is totally out.

Ted L Glines

I think the Frontline documentaries are the best on TV and probably in the world. But they don't always choose subjects that I care about. And they don't cover daily current events. Still, when you want to know about something, in depth and without editorializing, they really do it right.

For daily news I like PBS or the BBC. Sadly, our regular news outlets here in the U.S. have become a joke. They're either editorializing, or advertising, or both, while pretending they're reporting real news.

Well said!

Trust and news media should not be used in the same sentence; here in the United States, at any rate. I do watch CNN but only late at night when they are doing live interviews. Once in a while I will watch Fox News and CNN during prime time, just to see how they are slanting reportage to fit the agendas of their advertisers. Both media sources are known for blacking out hot-potato reportage under pressure. Example: A live coverage CNN reporter let slip that Halliburton Corporation had been the company responsible for the BP oil leak. That was on late night CNN, and that story was never mentioned again. I guess someone powerful killed that story. The name Dick Cheney comes to mind.

Buzzword

Local news only.

But even then, at least in Oklahoma City, the news stations are owned by families with very defined political bias.

So really, I just watch the local weather, then change the channel to Frasier.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 14th, 2011 09:27 AM

:think: I'm not sure.

I try to get news from a broad set of places because I expect each source has their own bias.

I might vote for Christian Science Monitor. I read them in spurts and I never have sensed a bias from them.

I know NPR is criticized as being really liberal and at times I do catch a lefty view, but for the most part I don't think they are that bad. I listen to them most mornings and enjoy their programming.

MrRadish

Definitely FOX for American news, and the Daily Mail newspaper in the UK. They're the only news sources that still present balanced, unbiased news stories in an even-handed, well-researched, rational way and aren't influenced by some sort of underlying political ideology. You can watch/read them, secure in the knowledge that you aren't being fed partial or preferential information and that all their stories are selected solely on the basis of importance and providing an accurate picture of the world as it really is.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fox News.

Fair and Balanced? Naaaah, I wouldn't go that far. Bill "O'really" comes to mind as do a few other losers when it comes to being fair and balanced but their overall news reporting comes closer to being F&B more so than the other choices out there such as SiNN, or HeadGrindNews.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Fox News is equially fair to Democrats and Republicans. To conservatives? Not so much.

I would go with Front Page TOL News.

Seydlitz77

CBC for local/national news and BBC for international news.

I really like the fact that BBC will try to find local correspondents in many parts of the world who are in touch with what is going and the thoughts/attitudes in the are.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a customized Google News page so I can see numerous perspectives on the same topic and form my own conclusions.

Barring the above, I usually look to Bobby Moynihan. :AMR:

AMR

Last edited: