toldailytopic: Which book in the Bible speaks to you the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaulToPaul 2

Hi, money.

Some people turn to the Psalms when they're dealing with suffering of some sort. They find comfort in the writings. And that's fine, I suppose. But the Psalms were written to show Israel that they would be delivered from their tribulation in a physical sense. They show the wrath of God on the wicked, with justice being ultimately dealt out as Messiah sets up His kingdom, saving His people from the nations raging around them. We can take great application from the Psalms, but we in the Body of Christ aren't promised deliverance from persecution here on this earth.

II Corinthians deals with suffering, too, but in a very different way. That letter shows how to deal with suffering now, showing that we can rejoice even in the midst of the most severe persecution as we look not at the things of the flesh but at that which has an eternal weight of glory.

II Corinthians reveals Paul's perspective on pain and suffering in the flesh. We will never, in this flesh, be exempt from pain and suffering of some sort (some more than others). So I love this letter because we believers can read about Paul's trials, read his perspective on them, and shift our own focus on how we view the trials in our lives (sickness, death, money worries, etc.).

By reading the letter, we are exhorted to take our eyes off the things which are seen and keep them on the eternal.
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weigt of glory; while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. II Cor. 4:17-18​
Awesome stuff. I love II Corinthians.

Randy

I concur man of chicken...and, I believe it was his last book before going to prison in Rome, from where he revealed the mystery of the gospel. 2 Corinthians prepared them for a transition. Love it. And, then Ephesians would speak to me next.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: Is that a trick question?

Electronic-Bible-NKJV-Audio-Bible-player-1.jpg

:plain:

Else, when I'm talking with a few of the persistent atheists seeking company, Job. :poly:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Gospel of John
Acts
Galatians
2 Corinthians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I like most of the New testament, but above would narrow it, take a look at 1 Thessalonians 4

13Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. 14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The Gospel of St. John:

"Jesus said to her: I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, although he be dead, shall live" (John 11:25).

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Leviticus, anyone?

Moses spends half of Leviticus talking about how God wants the temple decorated. Don't get me wrong. Leviticus has some very powerful verses that looks ahead to the Incarnation, Passion and Death of Our Blessed Lord, but overall, that book is just plain dull. :squint:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I too love the book of Romans first and foremost, Ephesians would run a close second for me.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Moses spends half of Leviticus talking about how God wants the temple decorated. Don't get me wrong. Leviticus has some very powerful verses that looks ahead to the Incarnation, Passion and Death of Our Blessed Lord, but overall, that book is just plain dull. :squint:

I think Tico forgot to put the :sarcasm: smiley in...

Dull?? GASP! What about Leviticus 14:54-57?? Thats riveting stuff... good grief!! :chuckle:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
This verse in Leviticus is foundational:

Lev 17:11 'For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood by reason of the life that makes atonement.'

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...[T]rying to decode and figure out Revelation with all the obscure imagery, etc. and figuring out who the anti-Christ is, etc. just creates confusion and strife..."
:rolleyes:

"...n the Gospels we have only the half-story. We need the Book of Revelation because it is the consummation of it. Of course, it can be understood only if the Spirit of God is our teacher. But the Book of Revelation takes off the veil so we can see Christ in His unveiled beauty and power and glory. This book is the opposite of a secret or a mystery. It is a disclosure of secrets, and it is called prophecy in the next verse, as we shall see.

When a so-called Christian says that he does not understand the Book of Revelation, it makes me wonder, because this book was given to us in order that we might understand these mysteries of the kingdom of God.

“To show” means by word pictures, by symbols, by direct and indirect representations.

“And he sent and signified it.” That is, he used symbols. And keep in mind that the symbols are symbolic of reality. Peter gave us a great rule for the interpretation of prophecy in 2 Peter 1:20: “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.” You don’t interpret a single text by itself; you interpret it in the light of the entire Word of God. Ottman said, “The figurative language of Revelation is figurative of facts.”"
McGee, J. Vernon: Thru the Bible Commentary. electronic ed. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1997, c1981, S. 5:887-888

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I too love the book of Romans first and foremost, Ephesians would run a close second for me.

Yes Romans is very revealing and often misunderstood.

I think this is clear:

Romans 6
We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him the Father, we too may live a new life.

Status
Not open for further replies.