toldailytopic: What was the first job you ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
You rode a vacuum?
Don't tell PB. Yes, down the driveway. Very fun. :eek:

You understand it was the sit down type (horizontal). Not the fancy types like today. You could steer somewhat with the hose.

I see someone has made a go-cart out of one (far more advanced than me).

"This ain't Kansas City. We don't got none of that fancy European stuff here." ~ Annie, A Fistful of Datas Star Trek

Last edited:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It was the summer (1957) after my dad died I mowed lawns for several people on our block, that lasted for two summers.​

andyc

Age 14 I worked in a supermarket in a butchers department cleaning the delicatessen and washing the big freezers. My eyes used to sting from all the bleach, but it was fun putting the stereo up real loud listening to hip hop and practicing those breakdance moves while scrubbing the floor ha ha!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 8th, 2010 01:06 PM

Cashier at a grocery store. Pretty good job. Except I hate stupid people so....

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I grew up on a dairy farm. I'm not sure how old I was when I started bottle feeding calves by myself, but I'm guessing around age 6. Worked on the farm the first 7 years after High School and another 3 years later on.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My first job was a teacher's/janitor's aide during summer school when I was 17. I got the job through the teen job fair. I loved the job.

Son of Jack

I worked at a Mom and Pop Hardware store for 4 years, starting at the age of 15. I really loved that job. I had to get a job because I had wrecked my car twice in three weeks and my parents needed help paying the insurance. In retrospect, I'm glad I started working at such a young age. Kept me out of a lot of trouble.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
:angel: Please Lord, don't let Persophone find this thread

It's spelled Persephone.

My first job, well first real job, was a technician at tire and oil change shop when I was 16. Prior to that mowed lawns and did other yard work for the old people that lived in my neighbourhood.

I know it's not as cool or as macho as selling vacuums or greeting cards, but it paid for the '69 Olds 442 that was my first car.

lucy

The first "real" job I ever had was working one summer for the U.S Dept. of Agriculture. I needed to make money to purchase clothes for my Freshman year of University.

I had the very glamorous job of slogging around in the muddy greenhouses, first applying worms to new cotton plants, and then weeks later, finding the worms and plucking them off. They were testing the resistance of the plants to the worms. I also had to clean dirty test tubes that had been housing nasty baby worms - ugh!

One of my other jobs was picking cotton from test fields - yes, hand picking cotton, and that is a truly hot, grueling, finger-puncturing job! One day while picking, my poor fingers were poked raw by the cotton as I picked, then I developed heat exhaustion and threw up all over the place, and to top it all off, I bent down to pick up a cotton ball that had fallen on the ground, poked one of my eyes with a cotton stalk and tore a cornea. That was a baaad day!

Another job was picking through bags of bugs that were swept from test fields. We had to identify the different bugs and count the number of each type of bug present in the field. I also got to participate in a cross pollination experiment. I had to hand pollinate flowers and label each bloom with a tag to identify the plant's cross. I also prepared cotton seed by burning off the "fuzz" on the seeds with hydrochloric acid.

It was overall a very hard job, but very rewarding both money-wise and educationally. I learned I really, really did not want to work with bugs, or cotton or anything that poked, squirmed, or burned! :eek:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It was the summer (1957) after my dad died I mowed lawns for several people on our block, that lasted for two summers.​

First real job - US Navy for two years. 2 years active and 4 years reserve.​

The Berean

It's spelled Persephone.

My first job, well first real job, was a technician at tire and oil change shop when I was 16. Prior to that mowed lawns and did other yard work for the old people that lived in my neighbourhood.

I know it's not as cool or as macho as selling vacuums or greeting cards, but it paid for the '69 Olds 442 that was my first car.

:rotfl:

Quincy

When I got out of highschool I moved to Canada, and worked as an apprentice to a general contractor. He was an Iranian Canadian, and I could barely understand what he said half the time. It made for some interesting mistakes on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.