toldailytopic: What punishment SHOULD Penn State's Jerry Sandusky receive today?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 9th, 2012 08:50 AM

toldailytopic: What punishment SHOULD Penn State's Jerry Sandusky receive today?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jerry Sandusky sentenced to at least 30 years

588b33f279df7d1c1d0f6a706700ac98.jpg
Former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky arrives at the Centre County Courthouse for a sentencing hearing Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012, in Bellefonte, Pa. Sandusky was convicted of sexually abusing 10 boys in a scandal that rocked the university and brought down Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

Full story here:
http://www.boston.com/news/2012/10/...least-years/1AS7UcCiRMzTE7SpEMTmEP/story.html

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
A science fiction series called "Riverworld" had, in the final book, a group of rapists condemned to forever experience the anguish of their victim.

Perfect. But it doesn't make it even. The people surviving abuse didn't ask for it. But Sandusky deserves it. I can't think of a better punishment than making him live with the hell he inflicted on those kids.

Death is too good for him.

Granite

Hall of Fame
A science fiction series called "Riverworld" had, in the final book, a group of rapists condemned to forever experience the anguish of their victim.

Perfect. But it doesn't make it even. The people surviving abuse didn't ask for it. But Sandusky deserves it. I can't think of a better punishment than making him live with the hell he inflicted on those kids.

Agreed. That speech of his was positively demonic.

Buzz

Are you volunteering to take that "position"?

Doesn't that idea only perpetuate evil?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Great series of books.There was a Twilight Zone episode about a Nazi who revisits the scene of his concentration camp crime only to become trapped in that nightmare himself.

If I had god like powers I'd instill perfect empathy in him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Based on the fact that he is already a deranged pervert, he would most likely see it as a reward.
That wouldn't be perfect empathy then.

I remember one of the old pulp heroes, I think it was Doc Savage, would operate on criminals so that they were altered, understood and rejected the evil they'd done. They'd then become agents of good.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing...

Buzz

That wouldn't be perfect empathy then.

I remember one of the old pulp heroes, I think it was Doc Savage, would operate on criminals so that they were altered, understood and rejected the evil they'd done. They'd then become agents of good.

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing...
Or they could hear the Gospel, receive new life in Christ, have peace with God, and then go meet Him.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Or they could hear the Gospel, receive new life in Christ, have peace with God,
Where do you think that empathy would lead him? I think anything in perfection leads us to God. You're presenting an assumptively false dichotomy.

and then go meet Him.
We all meet him in time. Why would I want to see the life lesson reserved for a singularly selfish if still good end? I'd rather see the reformed man and that impact. Do you know the story of the fellow who wrote Amazing Grace?

Last edited:

Buzz

Where do you think that empathy would lead him? I think anything in perfection leads us to God. You're presenting an assumptively false dichotomy.
Huh? What?

We all meet him in time. Why would I want to see the life lesson reserved for a singularly selfish if still good end? I'd rather see the reformed man and that impact. Do you know the story of the fellow who wrote Amazing Grace?
Justice is not served through reformation. Reformation might result, but that is not the purpose of justice.