toldailytopic: What is/was the best sitcom of all-time?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:think:

The thing is I love The Simpsons, (Especially the earlier seasons) but I've never classed it as a traditional 'sit com' so that's why I don't have it on my list. IMO an animated series is a separate entity as the space for the utterly absurd, unrealistic and actual broad scope within the genre places it apart from the 'real life' version, even though sit coms themselves are generally exaggerated to some degree for comic effect. I could never see 'The Flintstones' as a sit com either, not that it was very funny anyway.....:plain:

:e4e:

There definitely is a difference. There is more flexibility when dealing with animations. But as you say, real sitcoms go beyond the norm also. Perhaps I could have a sub-category of animated shows. :bowser:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
This! Without a doubt.

Second place goes to anything Neil Patrick Harris has touched, like Doogie Howser M.D. and How I Met Your Mother.

I used to watch Doogie. :D

If I were to make a list of current shows I would include How I Met Your Mother. Perhaps Big Bang Theory as well. I've liked what I've seen from both of those shows.

Arthur Brain

There definitely is a difference. There is more flexibility when dealing with animations. But as you say, real sitcoms go beyond the norm also. Perhaps I could have a sub-category of animated shows. :bowser:

Also, with something like 'The Simpsons' it's broad range of characters and independent situations kinda knocks it out the genre. It's not like say - 'Porridge', where the action is constantly set in prison with storylines revolving around three or four major characters every episode.

:e4e:

As to your latter suggestion:

:plain:

zoo22

In some bizarre way, the responses in this thread shed a lot of light on TOLers. I feel like I understand a few folks a bit better than I did before.

Also, for those who love the first seasons of The Office (as I do), check out the original Ricky Gervais series. A lot of it is word-for-word.

keypurr

These are not sit coms but they were great shows:

Milton Bearl
Show of Shows with Sid Ceasar
Ed Sullivan
Jackie Gleason
Friday nite Wrestling

Oh the memories

bybee

These are not sit coms but they were great shows:

Milton Bearl
Show of Shows with Sid Ceasar
Ed Sullivan
Jackie Gleason
Friday nite Wrestling

Oh the memories

Our family loved "Your Show of Shows". I remember my mom and dad howling with laughter at Sid and Imogene as they negotiated the marriage trap!