toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

Dena

So...do animals care about human social issues? I can't believe I even have to ask that.

Now I really can't figure out where you're going with this topic. Angel seemed to be insinuating that those who do not deny evolution believe we're all a bunch of animals and can therefore act in any way we feel like regardless of consequence. Fool pointed out that animals don't do the things this shooter has done. Non human animals do not behave as badly as we do. They do not have the capacity for it. They do however have the ability to mourn loss and feel connections to other animals (and people).

That's where we are right now.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Now I really can't figure out where you're going with this topic. Angel seemed to be insinuating that those who do not deny evolution believe we're all a bunch of animals and can therefore act in any way we feel like regardless of consequence. Fool pointed out that animals don't do the things this shooter has done. Non human animals do not behave as badly as we do. They do not have the capacity for it. They do however have the ability to mourn loss and feel connections to other animals (and people).

That's where we are right now.

That may be where you are but in the grand scheme of things I don't make it a point to learn human things from the animal kingdom.

fool

Hall of Fame
So...do animals care about human social issues? I can't believe I even have to ask that.

How is a mass shooting a "human social issue"?
And what does animals caring have to do with anything?

Go ahead and cite us an animal other than an H.Sapian walking into a school with two 9mm handguns and shooting the place up.
Go ahead, we'll wait.
In the mean time you can drop the "acting like animals" mantra, if he was to act like an animal he'd be frolicking buck naked in the forest.

Dena

That may be where you are but in the grand scheme of things I don't make it a point to learn human things from the animal kingdom.

Why do you make having a conversation so difficult? Angel brought it up. We're pointing out the fact that the shooter was not behaving like an animal. He was behaving like a human. A cruel and deeply disturbed human.

fool

Hall of Fame

Give us a cite of an animal other than a human that has walked into a school and shot it up with two 9mm handguns.
Or shut up because you sound like an idiot.

fool

Hall of Fame
Why do you make having a conversation so difficult? Angel brought it up. We're pointing out the fact that the shooter was not behaving like an animal. He was behaving like a human. A cruel and deeply disturbed human.

I won't be suprised when we find out there were pharmacuticals involved. Someone had a really good thread on that a while ago.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame

Animals do things that we would consider awful, many eat their own young. Im not really here to argue this but it is obvious that we dont want to act like animals do to each other.

fool

Hall of Fame
22 children got slashed with a knife in China today.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/w...en-near-china-school-20121214,0,6383015.story

the article said:
BEIJING -- A man with a knife slashed 22 children and one adult outside an elementary school in Henan province Friday morning, China's worst such incident in more than a year.
The attack was reminiscent of a spate of knife attacks on schoolchildren that took place across China in 2010. In most cases, the attackers were unemployed middle-aged men, leading to speculation that the assaults stemmed from economic and social discontent.

Friday's attack occurred at about 7:40 a.m. as children were arriving outside the gate of Chenpeng Village’s Wanquan Elementary School. The suspect, Min Yingjun, 36, allegedly slashed an elderly woman as well as the children. Local propaganda officials said later that Min had a psychological illness.

fool

Hall of Fame
Animals do things that we would consider awful,
Like aborting perfectly health babies for convienience?

many eat their own young
We throw our aborted babies in incinerators, how advanced of us.
Silly animals can't even start a fire.

Im not really here to argue this but it is obvious that we dont want to act like animals do to each other.
I think it's obvious that acting like humans isn't working out that great either.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Like aborting perfectly health babies for convienience?

We do evil things no argument, animals are amoral, just saying I wouldn't use them for a guide.

We throw our aborted babies in incinerators, how advanced of us.
Silly animals can't even start a fire.

If they could they'd burn you and everyone you care about, don't kid yourself!

I think it's obvious that acting like humans isn't working out that great either.
I agree, we rightly judge peoples' evil/sin as much more disgusting than the acts of animals, wasn't trying to say otherwise.

Selaphiel

The answer is pretty simple. Put God and the Bible back into education. Quit telling kids they evolved from slime.

You are implying that acceptance of the theory of evolution leads to increased mass murder sprees, you got any data to back this implied claim? Tinark provided us with a correlation that demolishes that claim, even though you guys are trying to make him out to say something he clearly did not say (namely that the data implies a causal relationship of the opposite statement, which is rather absurd).

Science should be taught in science class, Creationism is not science, it really is that simple.

Also love the claim from others here that the numbers in the graph are untrue. Do you have any evidence of that claim? The two variables in the graph are rather simple and they are not controversial at all (one of them is a simple fact of official records).

Charity

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 14th, 2012 10:15 AM

toldailytopic: What can be done to help prevent the epidemic of school shootings?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

yes..we are heading toward those truths which are possibly the most harmful and destructive.

Perhaps our children are now products of knowledge? an the other evil Money?

In which... Language has not yet been an adequate expression of all realities?

gcthomas

How did this thread turn to a debate about homeschooling, evolution and the need for tooled up school children?

Here in the UK we have mentally ill people on medication, crazies, gangs, and social problems just like in the US. BUT, we have very strong gun control laws. Our murder rate by firearms is about 20 PER YEAR.

When someone here goes off the rails, they grab a knife and are rarely able to kill even one person, let alone many people.

To use this sad and depressing event to argue for more guns is obscene. My thoughts are with the parents and families in Newtown today.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so what should we know about teachers?

that they have registered guns?

that they have unstable children?

will the teacher's union fight this?

is it already fighting this?

was she a problem teacher?

Charity

There's a great deal of effort needed after realizing One Has realities that are real to themselves but not reality to those around them.
Reprograming of mind an senses can only be done when a person comes down from the hights of defending themselves.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
There's a great deal of effort needed after realizing One Has realities that are real to themselves but not reality to those around them.
Reprograming of mind an senses can only be done when a person comes down from the hights of defending themselves.

you don't have to defend yourself
if
the union is doing it for you

This Charming Manc

Why are you asking baseless accusing and insinuating questions, about a murder victim less than 24 hours after her death, who was part of one Americas most sever tragedies in recent memory.

Have you that little class that you have ram your bizarre political agendas into everything?

so what should we know about teachers?

that they have registered guns?

that they have unstable children?

will the teacher's union fight this?

is it already fighting this?

was she a problem teacher?