toldailytopic: Uprising in Egypt, what are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A worthy ambition, but fruitless in the face of reality.
Thanks, but a principle only applied when it's expedient isn't really much of one, is it?

Unless you and me and those in western Europe and northern America don't want to heat your homes this winter.
No reason for that to happen. As I said in a thread where no one wanted to talk about it, we can become energy independent using our natural gas reserves while we continue to develop alternate technologies...Though I suppose I'll have an easier time believing we care about the issue when we stop producing cars that get fewer than thirty miles to the gallon and that can be driven well in excess of any posted speed limit.

:e3e:

bybee

Thanks, but a principle only applied when it's expedient isn't really much of one, is it?

No reason for that to happen. As I said in a thread where no one wanted to talk about it, we can become energy independent using our natural gas reserves while we continue to develop alternate technologies...Though I suppose I'll have an easier time believing we care about the issue when we stop producing cars that get fewer than thirty miles to the gallon and that can be driven well in excess of any posted speed limit.

:e3e:
Good points.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tell a freezing Frenchman to heat his home with principles.
So that's one vote for practical relativism then. At best it's an embarrassment that should have men of conscience scrambling for alternative structures and means. Unless we count our principles less valuable than our ease...and we're back to the value of them again, except when carved into stone, where the ornamentation is lovely enough.

Nydhogg

The Russians will happily sell to Europe any gas it might need.

Egypt ain't one of the main oil producers, is it?

Saudi Arabia, Iran, Venezuela, Russia and the US are.

some other dude

Mubarek is the devil we know.

This may well become his replacement.

A leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt told the Arabic-language Iranian news network Al-Alam on Monday that he would like to see the Egyptian people prepare for war against Israel, according to the Hebrew-language business newspaper Calcalist.

Muhammad Ghannem reportedly told Al- Alam that the Suez Canal should be closed immediately, and that the flow of gas from Egypt to Israel should cease “in order to bring about the downfall of the Mubarak regime.” He added that “the people should be prepared for war against Israel,” saying the world should understand that “the Egyptian people are prepared for anything to get rid of this regime.”

The other side is full of racist idiots also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRS1sB5d7vw&feature=related
Its time we ignore the morons ( extremists) and take away their power! If we do not then more of this
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/fallen/page4/
Also,
"Tell a freezing Frenchman to heat his home with principles."
some other dude
If we choose the idiotic principles of realpolitik then yes, the Frenchman will freeze as will we Americans also. It is imperative ( for our oil needs) to be on the winning side of history.
See my posts 16 and 20 for context.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
So much for the land of the free!

Freedom doesn't matter. Other people's freedom, that is.
Supporting brutal tyrants it's OK as long as it helps US interests.

As long as they're not Americans, who cares if the guy we support oppresses them?

:vomit:

Tyranny is never OK. Supporting tyranny is repulsive.

Whoever grabs power in Egypt, I hope it's not the fundies. But supporting a tyrant shouldn't even be an option.

You have it backwards, the US goes overboard on the spreading of democracy ideology.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Glenn Beck has a lot to say about it this week.

Basically he says that Muslim extremists are behind the uprising as well as the current troubles in Jordan. Doing this will give the extremist a reason to step in and bring "order".

WizardofOz

The sky.......it's falling

The sky.......it's falling

Glenn Beck has a lot to say about it this week.

Basically he says that Muslim extremists are behind the uprising as well as the current troubles in Jordan. Doing this will give the extremist a reason to step in and bring "order".

Glenn Beck said that? Why didn't you say so? Now I know it's true!

:plain:

"We define Pants on Fire as a statement that is ridiculously false. [ in other words :kookoo: ]Beck earned one for his claim that John Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, "has proposed forcing abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population."
Beck also earned a Pants on Fire for his claim that the health care reform bill provided health insurance for dogs.
Today, Beck earned his third for comments he made about the Restoring Honor rally. He claimed that the government was trying to close the Lincoln Memorial for similar rallies in the future, implying that the government was trying to silence his political speech. We found no evidence to support that. Pants on Fire."
FROM
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/aug/27/glenn-beck-faces-truth-o-meter/

His record (as of Aug. 27, 2010):
True 1
Mostly True 1
Half True 3
Barely True 4
False 5
Pants on Fire 3

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Being that Beck spoke about the plans of the "Muslim BrotherHood" and their efforts to destroy Israel, I am assuming it is related to this article.

Paulos

Carter thought the same thing back in 1978 with Iran.

"Oh goody! Overthrown dictator and democratic movement!"

We're still dealing with that mess.

Better the devil you know.

Were you in favor of the invasion of Iraq? Didn't President Bushed say that the purpose of the invasion was to overthrow a dictator and help bring "democracy" to the Middle East?

bybee

"We define Pants on Fire as a statement that is ridiculously false. [ in other words :kookoo: ]Beck earned one for his claim that John Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, "has proposed forcing abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population."
Beck also earned a Pants on Fire for his claim that the health care reform bill provided health insurance for dogs.
Today, Beck earned his third for comments he made about the Restoring Honor rally. He claimed that the government was trying to close the Lincoln Memorial for similar rallies in the future, implying that the government was trying to silence his political speech. We found no evidence to support that. Pants on Fire."
FROM
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/aug/27/glenn-beck-faces-truth-o-meter/

His record (as of Aug. 27, 2010):
True 1
Mostly True 1
Half True 3
Barely True 4
False 5
Pants on Fire 3

What one sees is definitely related to one's location and perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.