toldailytopic: Turn the other cheek. Should all Christians be pacifists?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 2nd, 2012 10:22 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Buzzword

Blessed are the peacemakers...

I think we have to apply our own reasoning ability to determine whether or not a war is just.

Which is weird for my and my parents' generation, because we haven't seen a just war in our lifetimes, and thus probably wouldn't know one if we saw it.

(my parents are Baby Boomers, by the way)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't have to endure a tribulation to be saved so no...Shocking huh.

PureX

I think there is a difference between turning the other cheek when being threatened ourselves, and turning the other cheek when the threat is against not only ourselves, but others. Jesus clearly turned the other cheek. No doubt about it. But he did so when only he was being threatened and abused.

theophilus

No.

Luke 22
35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Last edited:

jwp98

Turning the other cheek is a strong and biblical response. Once. When it comes to a second event, or protecting others, I think we become the enablers of aggressors. For example, I let my former business partner slap me around too much and he eventually cut a destructive path leading to the unemployment of many.

I'm thinking of a nuanced man or woman who can function as a professional combatant yet still turn a cheek in personal life. That is real, Godly strength.

Last edited:

Mike C.

I wonder if this thread was this inspired by certain recent events :think:

I don't have time now, but I'll throw in a real answer later

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. Here's a few scripture verses to support my reasons.

Matthew 10:34 - “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.

Luke 22:36 - Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

God doesn't expect Christians to be wimpy sissies. The whole turning the other cheek speaks more about forbearance with people who wrong us. It has nothing to do with pacifism.

Selaphiel

Turning the other cheek is not apathic pacifism. If you think that it is, then you are missing the genius of this saying. It must be read in its cultural context. When someone hit someone lower than themselves, they did it with the back of their hand. Turning the other cheek is a non-violent, but a very symbolic gesture of protest, turning the other cheek would force him to hit you with the inside of his hand if he wanted to hit you again, and that was how you slapped an equal. So if he would have to acknowledge you as his equal if he hit you again.

And Christians should definitely strive for peace. War is an absolute last option. The early Christians were highly skeptical of warfare. It was the blood of the martyrs and the charity of Christians that christened Rome, not swords.

Iconoclast

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 2nd, 2012 10:22 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

No, in our personal lives. If someone whom I don't know tries to attack me or starts something with me I am not morally obligated to walk away. If I choose to KO them then they learn a lesson.

If I am out witnessing on the street and defending the bible as true and someone gets all mad (imagine that) about it I shouldn't get violent to prove that my position is correct. If they curse me or attack me for it then that is the cost of following Jesus. He did say pick up your cross and follow me..

Mike C.

Christians are called to be peacemakers, whether that entails suffering personal injury for the cause of peace or whether that entails using force to prevent violence. Jesus said to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. Pacifists only follow one part of His advice.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Only if you want to make an atheist happy. They love it when Christians look the other way, it makes it so much easier for them to get away with their evil doings.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Turning the other cheek does not mean exposing yourself to harm's way with careless disregard. We need to consider the whole counsel of Scripture here.

The passage deals with the insulting slap, one given with the back hand of the right-handed person to the right cheek. Turning the other cheek then teaches one to not return the insult and escalate things to actual violence.

Outside of this situation Scripture is clear that we can defend ourselves (see Luke 12:11; 22:36–38; Acts 22:1; 24:10) and even run from evil (see 1 Sam. 19:10; Luke 4:29–30; John 8:59; 10:39; 2 Cor. 11:32–33) to avoid even more abuse being imposed upon us. "Loving" one's attacker includes ensuring he does not try to make further attacks (Matt. 5:44; 22:39).

No passivism here. ;)

AMR

john w

Hall of Fame
Turning the other cheek is not apathic pacifism. If you think that it is, then you are missing the genius of this saying. It must be read in its cultural context. When someone hit someone lower than themselves, they did it with the back of their hand. Turning the other cheek is a non-violent, but a very symbolic gesture of protest, turning the other cheek would force him to hit you with the inside of his hand if he wanted to hit you again, and that was how you slapped an equal. So if he would have to acknowledge you as his equal if he hit you again.

And Christians should definitely strive for peace. War is an absolute last option. The early Christians were highly skeptical of warfare. It was the blood of the martyrs and the charity of Christians that christened Rome, not swords.

And:

John 18:
22And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?

23Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

The Lord Jesus Christ, when struck on the cheek, did not "turn to him the other" cheek, but, with honor, rebuked the officer in no uncertain terms.

Mt. 5:38-48 KJV is figurative, judging a combative spirit(like mine), verses 38-40, an insulting spirit, verses 41-42(like mine), and a spirit that seeks revenge, verses 43-48.

John 2:

13And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

14And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

15And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

16And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

Not the "lowly Galilean fisherman" here-a real man.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Avoid unimportant conflict - Yes.

Avoid important conflict - No.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The first Gentile believer was an officer in the army of Rome, as brutal a govt as any which has arisen, there was no instruction that he should resign or any indication that he did. J the B also makes clear that resigning from the military was no part of repentance.

It is almost certain that the first christians in Europe and Britain were the fruit of Roman soldiery.....long, long before there was any Pope to send Augustine.

However I disagree that christians ought not to turn the other cheek, whether we do so or not is another matter but let us be honest about it and give glory to God and say that we have not attained to the high standard of scripture.

Quincy

No, defend your loved ones, defend yourself but don't instigate. A little action from time to time is a heck of a lot of fun if some idiot is dumb enough to start it with you.

Trumpetfolker

This is another example of the lost-ness of MAD people. They reject the commandments of Jesus, so they don't know how to live wisely. That means they are available for service to every clever demon.
Jesus said, "When they persecute you in one place, move to another". So, the first time you turn your cheek, and shame on them. The second time, you leave town, and doom on them.
2 Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure:
5 ¶ Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
When the filthy degradations of the Wife of Christ come to an end (i. e., when she stops supporting false doctrine), she will come out of Mystery Babylonia.
At that time, Mystery Babylonia will be destroyed by the 10 kings which had not, at the time John wrote the Revelation, received their kingdoms. From that time on, no one will buy anything from the merchants. Right after the destruction of Mystery Babylonia, the Beast will come against the Lord's Wife, and our Husband will come back from heaven with armies to protect us and judge them.
However, as long as we support the mighty merchants of Mystery Babylonia who sell us false doctrines, we are, it seems, like Noah and his family before they entered the ark.

Last edited:

Newman

Avoid unimportant conflict - Yes.

Avoid important conflict - No.

What he said.

I carry a weapon to protect myself and others from criminal behavior (muggings, road rage, psychos, etc.).

However, if somebody has a problem with me for something I've done and decides to physically hurt me, I'll take it and turn.

Is this inconsistent? Not a rhetorical question.