toldailytopic: The Petraeus affair. Is the scandal involving CIA Director Petraeus m

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 14th, 2012 08:39 AM

toldailytopic: The Petraeus affair. Is the scandal involving CIA Director Petraeus more than just a sex scandal?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Any time this involves the director of the CIA, it's more than just a scandal. He really messed up, which is a shame, because he seems like a very competent and dedicated public servant.

But he really let us down here; it could have had serious consequences. I'm hoping that it didn't. It remains true, anyone willing to have an affair with a married man, probably isn't the sort of person you should trust.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does it seem a bit convenient that it was uncovered a day after the election?

Does it seem a bit convenient that it discredits the man who knows the most about how Obama bungled Benghazi?

drbrumley

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 14th, 2012 08:39 AM

toldailytopic: The Petraeus affair. Is the scandal involving CIA Director Petraeus more than just a sex scandal?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

1.)A Covert Affair:
Petraeus Caught in the Honeypot?

2.)Palace Revolution: First Petraeus, then Allen — who's next?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Does it seem a bit convenient that it discredits the man who knows the most about how Obama bungled Benghazi?

It seems all too convenient. It's a bombshell hidden under the bed lest it blow up and turn public opinion against Obama. The Petraeus scandal is like a stolen baloney sandwich hidden the bedroom. It's rotting and the smell is now getting out. America is waking up to the stench and the five star loser they have elected President.

Junius Gallio

Begging the question: you assume Obama "bungled" Benghazi, because that fits your opinion of Obama, not because you have any actual evidence.

Was Petraeus's affair just a sex scandal? No--it was also a security breach. I personally am of the opinion that if Petraeus is charged under the UCMJ for adultery, even if there was no security risk whatsoever, he deserves whatever he gets. (I hold absolutely no respect for a person who violates his vows, whatever vows they may be.)

Can someone who has retired from the military be charged under UCMJ?

ETA: Oh, and he should still present himself to Congress to testify about the Benghazi situation.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Per wikipedia, "Retired members of the uniformed services who are entitled to retirement pay are also subject to the UCMJ."

I see his affair as a potential national security breach. They should throw the book at him for opening himself up to blackmail or disclosure of state secrets.

drbrumley

Per wikipedia, "Retired members of the uniformed services who are entitled to retirement pay are also subject to the UCMJ."

I see his affair as a potential national security breach. They should throw the book at him for opening himself up to blackmail or disclosure of state secrets.

Thank you for the clarification

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
One of the most troubling aspects of this whole debacle is what the content of the "threatening" emails was that allowed the FBI to access the emails of an American citizen. This is an example of just how much our freedoms have been gutted by the post 911 legislation.

Doormat

Can someone who has retired from the military be charged under UCMJ?

I imagine for them to do that it would have to be more than adultery in this case. Under UCMJ there are three elements to adultery. The third element is:

"under the circumstances, the conduct of the accused was to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces."

One might argue that he brought discredit to the CIA under the circumstances, an agency already discredited on a number of occasions for it's immoral deeds that are documented in the congressional record, but how did he bring discredit upon the armed forces?

And keep in mind that he will be judged by military officers and was the head of the CIA. Think he's not still connected? It's a good ol' boys club. He's not some nobody enlisted fellow, and that will likely make a big difference.

PureX

I'm sure the haters will insist that there was a "coverup". But from everything I've heard so far, there was not.

It's routine procedure NOT to share information regarding such an investigation with anyone outside the agency, and even within, only with those involved. This is done for obvious reasons: 1., that the person being investigated may well be innocent, 2., if information has been leaked, it can best be counteracted before those who acquired it know that we know they have it, 3., politicians will inevitably have to play politics with whatever information they are given, regardless of the truth of what happened.

For these reasons and more, the White House and the various members of the Senate and Congress who probably would have wanted to know about it, did not know about it, until it was no longer possible to keep the investigation in house (at the FBI). It was very wisely held back until after the election, and I'm sure they would have held it even further, if they were able.

Alate_One

From the sounds of it, it was little more than an affair with no actual security breach. Since the investigation found no wrongdoing (other than the affair itself), the real question should be why was it publicized at all?

bybee

From the sounds of it, it was little more than an affair with no actual security breach. Since the investigation found no wrongdoing (other than the affair itself), the real question should be why was it publicized at all?

Agreed. And why would he make this public disclosure which causes such humiliation and pain for his family unless, perhaps, to coverup something even worse?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Agreed. And why would he make this public disclosure which causes such humiliation and pain for his family unless, perhaps, to coverup something even worse?

Yep this is more like," look at this!" and "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." There have been CIA directors that have been caught doing much worse and never resigned, even a president that not only did the same thing but, was impeached for lying about it, so I look at his resignation with a lifted brow. This is a grand distraction of something more sinister that this corrupt administration is hiding. Are you really surprised?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Yep this is more like," look at this!" and "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." There have been CIA directors that have been caught doing much worse and never resigned, even a president that not only did the same thing but, was impeached for lying about it, so I look at his resignation with a lifted brow.

I think you just undercut your own point.