toldailytopic: The death and resurrection of Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 2nd, 2010 09:07 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures. I Cor. 15:1-4
The good news by which a person is saved: believe that Christ died for your sins and rose again.

:up:

Jackson

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures. I Cor. 15:1-4
The good news by which a person is saved: believe that Christ died for your sins and rose again.

Ditto :thumb:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul preached a gnostic gospel. He said you only need to mentally acknowledge it.

if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you,

I owe my life to Jesus. Of course, he doesn't need it, I need his. Thank you God!

MrPolo

The death and resurrection, from God's perspective, is in a real way a singular event. We're not saved because of the death only. Or the resurrection only. The whole Passion is the event! :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The death and resurrection, from God's perspective, is in a real way a singular event. We're not saved because of the death only. Or the resurrection only. The whole Passion is the event! :)

we have been redeemed
not
saved
there is a big difference

Cracked

My four year old understands that Jesus, "went into the cave" but she is not sure about Him coming out again (though I've already explained to her the rest of the story). It gives me great joy to be able to reassure her all day on Sunday that He did come out (I get to be with her all day, what a wonderful blessing)!

godrulz

Hall of Fame

The passion of the Christ shows God's great love and holiness, the awefulness of sin, and the power of God in resurrection.

Rom. 1:16

godrulz

Hall of Fame
My four year old understands that Jesus, "went into the cave" but she is not sure about Him coming out again (though I've already explained to her the rest of the story). It gives me great joy to be able to reassure her all day on Sunday that He did come out (I get to be with her all day, what a wonderful blessing)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naajYZSbWdw

(google for longer Tony Campolo famous version: It's Friday, but Sunday's Coming)

Aner

1 Corinthians 15:21-22
21For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

When one understands who Jesus genuinely is - one understands the severity of his sacrifice.

The notion of God wrapped in a human clothe is so degrading to the human person of Jesus Christ and the severe passion He experienced. Hopefully we can get beyond that point.

Perhaps the fullest extent of his experience was in his statement

"Father, why have You forsaken Me"

A nonsensical statement if made by a god wrapped in a human clothe - rather, an utterly compelling and devastating statement made by a genuine man - just like you and I.

Sincerely,
In the Lord Jesus Christ
Aner

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Deity and resurrection of Christ are germane to the gospel. Trinitarians do not deny His full humanity (making the cross/Lamb of God sacrifice possible), but Aner's denial of His Deity leaves him with a false gospel, false Christ, and no hope (Jn. 1; Phil. 2; 2 Cor. 11:4; Gal. 1:6-10; Jude 3).

Son of Jack

It is the hinge of all history. If it did not happen or does not mean what the Church understands it to mean, then we are of all men the most pitiable, for we are still lost in our sins and without God. If it did happen, then not only are all men able to be redeemed, but all history, all suffering, all hope and faith and love are redeemed. The death and resurrection of Jesus infuses all creation with transcendent and ultimate meaning.

Romans 8:1-39:thumb:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we have been redeemed
not
saved
there is a big difference

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourslves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8-9

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. I Cor. 1:18

By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. I Cor. 15:2

Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began... II Tim. 1:9

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost... Titus 3:5
We will be saved one day in the future in one sense, no doubt, as we receive glorified bodies and are taken to be with him. But there can be no question that, spiritually speaking, we are already saved (and sealed by the Spirit in Him). It's a done deal, chrys. It's great news! You should believe it.

Randy

nicholsmom

Thank God for this Grace! Without this central fact of Christianity we would be doomed. With it, we are redeemed from certain destruction.

Thank you, Jesus, for willingly laying down your life and then taking it back up again!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Christ is our sacrifice, as it was the only one pleasing to God. We are in Christ, the Body of Christ resides in Him.

God-Breathed

My Light that I may see the darkness in which I stand.
My Shepherd that I may know the path.
My Bridge that I may cross over into salvation.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:up:​

Ditto :thumb:

It is the hinge of all history. If it did not happen or does not mean what the Church understands it to mean, then we are of all men the most pitiable, for we are still lost in our sins and without God. If it did happen, then not only are all men able to be redeemed, but all history, all suffering, all hope and faith and love are redeemed. The death and resurrection of Jesus infuses all creation with transcendent and ultimate meaning.

Romans 8:1-39:thumb:

Your witness to light, love, and the Jesus' redeeming grace and truth are very evident.

This is what I believe . . .

The death and resurrection of Jesus is absolutely the greatest event in all of human history.

Jesus' death . . . It is very humbling to know and then come to the realization that Jesus would condescend to my low estate, and die in my place. To do for me what I could not do for myself, no, that I would not do for myself. Then when I accepted/took/made Jesus my Savior, then I understood only in small way the price that was paid for my salvation.

Having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. Colossians 2:14

Jesus' death . . . He became my salvation.

Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.
Matthew 20:28

Jesus' resurrection . . . He became my life, He became my victor and champion over death and the grave.

A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. John 14:19

Therefore I absolutely believe
John 14:6 and Romans 10:8-13

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
To all my Brothers and Sisters in Jesus the Christ:

May the Blessings and Love of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, descend upon you, now and forever. Amen!

He has risen! He has defeated Death. John 15:7-17 (KJV)

Status
Not open for further replies.