toldailytopic: Should the USA loosen or even end the embargo against Cuba?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 28th, 2012 09:39 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I would like to see a little more in the way of substantive change first.

The Cuban government wants to become more capitalistic for one reason; they want to maintain political control. Like China, they want to become economically free, but politically totalitarian.

In the long run, that will fail, of course, as the cracks in the Chinese society are beginning to show. But we don't need to rush into it. Do some minor relaxation of restrictions, and see if the Cubans respond to them. If not, let them wait until they are ready to relax things themselves.

OMEGA

The Embargo was important at the time

but it is irrelevant now due to the fact that

many European Travel and Resort companies

have invested in Cuba. Just ask the immigrants in Miami.

The Bay of Pigs was a disaster in the USA's attempt to KILL CASTRO

and overthrow the Government.

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 28th, 2012 09:39 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

My opinion is merely anecdotal and I am open to correction if need be, but, it seems that the embargo long ago fulfilled its purpose.
We have historically been friendly with the Cuban people. They are our close neighbors. The Cubans who fled to America when Castro took over have been good citizens. We all would benefit from lifting the embargo.

Buzzword

My opinion is merely anecdotal and I am open to correction if need be, but, it seems that the embargo long ago fulfilled its purpose.
We have historically been friendly with the Cuban people. They are our close neighbors. The Cubans who fled to America when Castro took over have been good citizens. We all would benefit from lifting the embargo.

Agreed on all points.

Take the resources which up to now have been spent on the embargo and invest them in something more productive.

PureX

As much as I live to correct you ... :) ... I agree that it's long past time to let go of punishing the Cuban people for the egocentricity of their leader. Besides, Afro-Cuban music is some of the best rhythmic music on Earth.

My worry would be more for the Cubans, themselves, should good relations be restored, as the U.S. has a habit of poisoning other countries with it's piggish capitalism. I'd hate to see Cuba end up a giant strip mall for fat American tourists.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
As much as I live to correct you ... :) ... I agree that it's long past time to let go of punishing the Cuban people for the egocentricity of their leader. Besides, Afro-Cuban music is some of the best rhythmic music on Earth.

My worry would be more for the Cubans, themselves, should good relations be restored, as the U.S. has a habit of poisoning other countries with it's piggish capitalism. I'd hate to see Cuba end up a giant strip mall for fat American tourists.
:loser:

bybee

Your charming ways know no bounds!

bybee

:chuckle:

So nobody has a problem with trashing Cuba with Wal-Mart and McDs.

Some things are here to stay, at least for a time.
Walmart employees will unionize eventually and that will change the whole dynamic.
I'm more concerned about the violence, filth and greed we show on TV.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

You just want the cigars; I know what this is about.

To be honest I don't know enough about this issue to make a call here. If they're still communist I'm not interested in a relationship; that's the most I can say.

PureX

They never were communists. And they still aren't.

Before their revolution, the American mob and the wealthy elite had turned Cuba into a big playground for themselves and their friends. But it was all based on hedonism and corruption, and little of all that wealth ever got to the people who were basically living as servants and prostitutes to these American fat cats. And that's why they had a revolution. It's also why Castro had to buddy up with our enemies: to protect Cuba from our exploitation. And of course we had to punish Cuba for that.

But as almost always happens with revolutions, the people end up dethroning one tyrant (criminal capitalists) only to find themselves ruled by another (criminal communists). And that's the way things have stayed for all these years.

But now the second tyrant is finally passing away, and so what do you think will happen next? My fear is that the first tyrant, who is stronger than ever these days, will want to return and exploit them all once again. Because that's what we do here in America.

Doormat

To be honest I don't know enough about this issue to make a call here. If they're still communist I'm not interested in a relationship; that's the most I can say.

China is a communist nation.

Most everything you buy comes from China.

Doormat

Yes.

I see no point in keeping it.