toldailytopic: Should business owners have the right to not serve a gay customer?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I believe that privately owned businesses should have the legal right to refuse service to anyone for any reason their little old heart desires.

However, having said that, I would also not expect the business owner to bellyache over any verbal backlash or loss of business that results from their desire to operate their business as they see fit.

That^

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No. If a business is open to the public, it is obliged to serve the public, and not just those members of the public that pleases the business owner. If a business owner does not want to serve the public as a whole, then they can open their business as a private club or co-op, and serve or refuse to serve whomever they like. So the option is already there. All society asks is that business owners state their intent up front, so that they don't waste the time and resources of people they do not intend to serve.

So a christian bookstore should cater to all religious beliefs and secular beliefs and be just a bookstore?

PureX

So a christian bookstore should cater to all religious beliefs and secular beliefs and be just a bookstore?
Religious bookstores sell religious books. Christian religious bookstores sell Christian religious books. They don't "cater to religious beliefs". They just sell books. Why would someone who owns a religious bookstore care or even know what their customer's beliefs are? If someone wants to buy a religious book, and you are in the business of selling that particular book, then you sell them the book. Right?

jde4zion

I think you could argue that under a business consideration as it could impact your business negatively by making it appear you endorse the particular views you're actively presenting. But then, I believe in exceptions under a reasonable man standard, which is why Knight's concern about the Catholic hospital wouldn't be problematic.

I think that's arguable, depending on what's being asked, under my reasonable man standard. For instance, you shouldn't be forced to put something graphic and offensive on the cake, but the names of the couple in question? I don't think writing Steve and Steve should rise to that level. And regardless, you shouldn't have the right to refuse to sell your cake to someone because you're a racist or hate conservatives and Limbaugh needs a lunch. :eek:

TH you're missing the point of the topic. Service to a customer is not "under a reasonable man standard" or "my reasonable man standard it's under the business owner standard period. If a white supremacist neo nazi skin head restaurant owner doesn't want to serve me because i'm black that his right and I don't want him to. I will take my money to a restaurant whose owner only see's the color of green.

If a business man or woman's religious views are against same sex marriage then he or she believes that making a product for the customer would be the same as supporting and encouraging it. That is why the cake shop owner in Colorado refused to make a same sex wedding cake for that gay couple.

And a business owner does have a right of refuse the service of any customers demands it believes would harm the reputation of his or her business. That's why the state of New Jersey found that the store was justified when it refused to put "Happy Birthday Adolf" on a cake for a 6 year old boy back in 2008 because that store owner believed it would negatively impacted his or her business.

There are businesses who even set rules for service. Such as nite clubs that will only admit people who comply with there dress code or a store that has a sign that says no shoes, no shirt, no service.

Business owners with hold services from people all the time. So just because that gay couple in Colorado walked in that cake shop and told the christian business owner that they were getting married and asked him to bake them a wedding cake doesn't mean he has to. Because interstate commerce does not regulate religious conviction.

PureX

If I am a privately owned decorating business, then I have the right to refuse to decorate a house in a way that is offensive to me, such as Satanic decor, Sadomasochist decor, KKK decor, etc.
I agree. You would be offering a service to the public that includes and depends upon your personal creative and intellectual reputation. You must certainly have the right to refuse such a request on the basis of it being not in your specific field of service, as well as perhaps being harmful to your professional reputation.
And if I am a privately owned cake business, then I have the right to refuse to decorate a cake in a way that is offensive to me, such as homosexual, sexually explicit, racism, etc.
Again, I agree. For the same reasons as above.

But the thing that is important, here, is that you are not objecting to serve the client because of your bias toward them, personally, but instead because they are requesting a service that you do not, can not, or choose not to offer anyone.

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 31st, 2012 09:07 AM

toldailytopic: Should (straight) business owners have the right to not serve a gay customer?

Should gay business owners have the right to not serve a straight customer?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why not?

Can't you turn away the Neo-Nazi kid who wants to wash your car simply based on his political views?

Because it's stupid, rude, unfair, and insulting. And since that doesn't seem to matter to some people, it's also a form of discrimination based on personal prejudice. And most grown-ups in modern civilized societies know that encouraging that sort of behavior is counter-productive to social order and to maintaining a positive, peaceful, social environment.
Of course I can. I don't see how this is relevant. I'm not a business and neither is the kid.

It's relevant for the very reason that the situation could just as easily be a Neo-Nazi demanding service in the privately owned business.

Even if it is rude or unfair, that's part of life. Why in the world would someone insist or even want to spend their money in an establishment that has made it clear they are not welcome?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
For easy money (lawsuit) and notoriety.

That's on them. While I might say a few choice words TO the individuals refusing service to me as well as tell family and friends of the situation, I would also realize that there are more deserving businesses for me to spend my money.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That's on them. While I might say a few choice words TO the individuals refusing service to me as well as tell family and friends of the situation, I would also realize that there are more deserving businesses for me to spend my money.

We agree :cheers:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Back of hand? No, but they should be entitled to refuse them service since its their business. They have a right to their beliefs too.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or because they refuse to take that sort of treatment as though someone was entitled to give them the back of their hand. Just another perspective. Maybe they're just looking or equity, not notoriety.

If they want to be equals, they shouldn't be homos.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If they want to be equals, they shouldn't be homos.
I never thought of it that way...but then, I don't drink like I did as an undergrad. :D

Else, you could say the same thing about Christians if the numbers skewed against them and that was the standard (value/right by a show of hands).

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Should gay business owners have the right to not serve a straight customer?
Yes! That's the point!

If a Jewish business wants to serve only Jews they should have that right! It's called LIBERTY!!!

People... lets not throw away our liberty just because some other person doesn't think or agree with everything you do.

LKmommy

Yes a business has a right to refuse service to anyone....however when it is something like this case you refer to it probablly was not wise to say "why". HOWEVER< I agree with them on both points....they can refuse to bake a gay couples wedding cake OR a heterosexuals one.

Think of businesses like BARS who can refuse service to anyone.

LKmommy

ALSO....maybe the shop's owner thought they would be a "problem"/not satisifed no matter what/rubbed them the wrong way and a complaint/discount waiting to happen....

I bet that same bakery has turned away other "bridezillas" of the hetero side. The business has a right to refuse anyone!!!