toldailytopic: Sept. 11, 2001: Where were you and what were you doing? What do you re

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 11th, 2012 09:09 AM

toldailytopic: Sept. 11, 2001: Where were you and what were you doing? What do you remember from that day?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember evil striking our midst.

article-1292594-0044030500000258-317_634x511.jpg

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I remember a brave group of people standing against the evil cowards with a final shout of "LET'S ROLL!"

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I remember turning on the TV and seeing the buildings burning. I remember when one of the towers began to fall the TV commentators didn't even realize what was happening. They said "it looks like more smoke is billowing" (or something like that).

My wife and I knew what was happening. It was horrifying. And at that point we also knew the other tower would likely fall as well. Waiting for that to happen was strange and sad.

And when it was all over I remember thinking... I can't believe what I just saw. I can't believe that just happened.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I was laying in the sun using my dog for a pillow, I became aware of the telly cast going on and on about something and me Mum calling Dad from the shed to "Jack, come and watch this"

I went in just as they were showing the second plane hit [on British tv] they had been reporting it as a terrible accident until then. My Dad said immediately, before the reporters seemed to grasp the significance of it, "that was no accident then"

We all watched dead serious as the story unfolded. When Dad saw the collapse of the towers he said immediately that it had been collapsed purposely in a controlled explosion. He surmised they had done it as a safety consideration.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I remember too Tony Blair the Labour Prime Minister coming on in a rare [for him] broadcast saying how Britain will "stand shoulder to shoulder with our American allies.

Doormat

I was watching on a friend's television. None of the buildings had fallen yet, but I had a strong gut feeling that they were going to come down. I felt very anxious for those people to get out before the buildings fell. At some point while watching I realized that it couldn't have been an accident, and wondered how the government could have been so unprepared to have allowed it to happen.

Buzzword

I was in (10th grade) math class when they actually hit.

Didn't know about it until a few hours later, when they had the TV on in Biology.

I had actually stood at the foot of the towers that previous May.
It wasn't until someone pointed that out to me that the full gravity of the situation hit.

dreadknought

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 11th, 2012 09:09 AM

toldailytopic: Sept. 11, 2001: Where were you and what were you doing? What do you remember from that day?

My pops woke me up right after the event became news on every channel. I had gotten out of the hospital just a couple of days before, so I was in a great deal of pain, yet I watched with family in disbelief and sadness.

LKmommy

Laying in bed listening to the radio thinking this is a sick joke, not funny, and going immediately to the television watching in horror.

I remember thinking when will it stop (the subsequent planes being hijacked), feeling horror, sadness, and fear as the bubble of security was burst as I watched helplessly from my couch.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Getting ready for court when the first plane hit. My office manager called me and said to tune into CNN. My brother, then a VP with Dean Witter, was supposed to be there that day, but wasn't because he'd been on a whirlwind tour of their locations (he was a fixer) and decided he'd had enough travelling, though we didn't know that for some time.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Sept. 11, 2001:
Where were you and what were you doing?
What do you remember from that day?

Mount Olivet Cemetery in Metro-Denver, funeral director/overseeing a graveside service.

It seemed like everything stopped for moment and we were put into slow motion until after the graveside service concluded, and it was like mad rush to get to our work places or residence to see what had really happened.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I wasn't even on TOL on that day. I joined about a year and a half later. That's weird to think about; that it's been that long.

As for what I was doing: I spent the night at my best friend's the night before and was asleep when it started. He woke me up to tell me we were under attack. The first thing I thought of was the scene in Red Dawn where the Russians parachuted into all the major cities; I thought he meant something similar was happening.

I came out of the bedroom and saw the towers on the TV. I had just seen a man on the street interview segment on TV the night before in NYC, including one of my high school classmates who had moved there to go to school. So, of course, I thought of him immediately.

It seems so weird that it's been so long. And I still can't believe it took over nine years to find and kill Bin Laden.