toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
but you didn't draw up this contract
and
it isn't a contract
In order: of course not, it's an illustration of why you're chuck full of beans...second point: it is exactly that, with parties, terms, statutory definition and legal particulars that must be followed in dissolution. Saying it isn't only makes you look unlearned or willfully foolish.

it is a commitment or a vow to stay together
It could be nothing more than that on a religious level, though oral promises can be binding contract in this regard, depending on the jurisdiction. But as the state enters into it, it's a contract or it doesn't exist as a legal obligation.

do you agree that staying together helps to protect the child?
Is beneficial for the child? Sure. No doubt about it, provided the people staying together either love one another or can coexist without damaging acrimony.

But that isn't the purpose of the marriage contract. Since you feel free to repeat questions and points, if without support for the most part and contrary to the factual state of things, regarding that "protection":

It does not rationally or reasonably follow that the point of the contract is to make those protections, which are contingent and unnecessary for the contract's operation.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
to protect the child that very likely will come along

The children that many couples have no plans of having or no means of biologically producing, those children?

IF marriage is for the sole purpose of protecting children, then it makes sense that having babies is MANDATED and MONITORED for all married couples.

Rather than tripping over your own two feet as you sputter out "they can't be expected to check everyone", give an explanation as to why that shouldn't be the requirement.

Seriously ... you are the person who wants to play *Fertility Monitor* for every individual living the US. Explain how YOU will do it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

now why should two people living together take this vow?
just go your separate ways
if
things don't work out

the only reason a vow like this makes sense is because children are involved
they need you to stay together

that is common sense

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

Because of a love that desires to express itself in a commitment of lasting duration.

if
things don't work out
Some people do that anyway. Around half the last time I saw a statistical study.

Irrational and untrue. I married my wife without any thought that we'd have children. I married her for her.

that is common sense
No. It's your religious dogma overwhelming your common sense.

99lamb

same sex marriage - nope.
civil unions - sure.
The idea that you can regulate adult relationships, is impossible, the idea that same sex marriage is equivalent to traditional marriage is ludicrous.
This entire argument has been a steady drum beat since the APA in 1973 took homosexuality off its diagnostic list of mental disorders, and those driven by this agenda have tried to legitimize this lifestyle, choice, as equivalent to traditional societal norms.

Arthur Brain

if
things don't work out

that is common sense

It's not common sense at all. People may wish to take such vows without any intention of having children or being unable to. Do you have objections to that? Notice how your first sentence makes no mention of children also. Get a grip.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It's not common sense at all. People may wish to take such vows without any intention of having children or being unable to. Do you have objections to that? Notice how your first sentence makes no mention of children also. Get a grip.

do you think they should try to stay together for the sake of the children?

Status
Not open for further replies.