toldailytopic: Raising Cain. What do you make of Cain's sexual harassment charges

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:doh: Dude.

Do you even have a conversational voice?

Or do you make a point of sounding like a pretentious blowhard?

I'm not interested in your estimation of my character or the expression of your own, only in your argument/counter, to the extent you can fashion one.

Now do the world a very great favor and blow it out either of your ears, won't you?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
some other dude said:
Nonsense. They overturned centuries of precedent with Roe v Wade.
Judicial precedent?

Isn't that significant?
:idunno: I think it comes down to whether or not you are a single-issue voter and your issue is abortion.

I agree. But it's an important component. Do you see the difference between a leader of the nation who views unwanted pregnancies as "punishment", and a leader of the nation who states unequivocally that life begins at conception?
Yes, there's a difference. How significant of a difference though? Even when we've had pro-life Presidents, how much have they gotten done? :idunno:

some other dude

Judicial precedent?

Of course. And the precedent immediately prior to Roe v Wade was that of what? What was Roe v Wade notable for overturning?

Yes, there's a difference. How significant of a difference though? Even when we've had pro-life Presidents, how much have they gotten done? :idunno:

Hard to say. Isn't it reasonable to assume that a pro-abort in place of Nixon, Ford, Reagan, George the first and George the second would have led to a much greater social acceptance of abortion?

To come back to my previous - McCain would not have pushed to provide government funding for abortions, as Obama is.

Bush the first would not have pushed the so-called “Freedom of Choice Act,” (a bill to prohibit states from limiting abortion even if Roe v. Wade is overturned), as Clinton did.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Of course. And the precedent immediately prior to Roe v Wade was that of what? What was Roe v Wade notable for overturning?
Cite the S. Ct. decision that Roe overturned. That's what high court precedent and stare decisis are all about. You're confusing/conflating disparate state codifications and lower holdings.

some other dude

Town, do us all a favor and take it elsewhere. You have no interest in discussing this honestly and I have no interest in engaging you.

Do everybody a favor and go elsewhere, okay?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What SCOTUS decision(s) did RvW overturn?

Hard to say. Isn't it reasonable to assume that a pro-abort in place of Nixon, Ford, Reagan, George the first and George the second would have led to a much greater social acceptance of abortion?
:idunno: Maybe. It's hard to say.

Abortions peaked in 1990 and have been steadily declining since then. What do you think is behind that?

To come back to my previous - McCain would not have pushed to provide government funding for abortions, as Obama is.

Bush the first would not have pushed the so-called “Freedom of Choice Act,” (a bill to prohibit states from limiting abortion even if Roe v. Wade is overturned), as Clinton did.
I haven't denied that there are differences between presidents.

Town, do us all a favor and take it elsewhere. You have no interest in discussing this honestly and I have no interest in engaging you.

Do everybody a favor and go elsewhere, okay?
How has he not discussed this honestly? I think he has had some good input.

I think you are the only one who would think TH leaving is a favor.

some other dude

What SCOTUS decisions do any of their cases overturn?

How has he not discussed this honestly? I think he has had some good input.

I think you are the only one who would think TH leaving is a favor.

kmo - he's not here to discuss this honestly. He's here to bludgeon anybody who disagrees with him. I could quote you reams of stuff from Reagan, Clinton, Scalia and other Supreme Court Justices, Laurence Tribe and other legal scholars that show he is wrong, and he would never admit it. Why should I waste my time on him? :idunno:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What SCOTUS decisions do any of their cases overturn?
:idunno: I'm not familiar enough with the history of the Supreme Court to know. But you may have just strengthened the point that the SCOTUS won't overturn RvW because the Supreme Court doesn't overturn their past decisions. :idea:

kmo - he's not here to discuss this honestly. He's here to bludgeon anybody who disagrees with him.
I think all evidence points to the opposite. How has he been dishonest? How has he bludgeoned anyone? I think you like playing the victim. Sometimes you have a case. Other times you don't. Here, you don't.

I could quote you reams of stuff from Reagan, Clinton, Scalia and other Supreme Court Justices, Laurence Tribe and other legal scholars that show he is wrong, and he would never admit it. Why should I waste my time on him? :idunno:
If you think it would be a waste of time with him, why not post the reams of stuff for the benefit of other people who are reading?

some other dude

If you think it would be a waste of time with him, why not post the reams of stuff for the benefit of other people who are reading?

I may, later tonight.

Until then, consider this: if Town is right and a SCOTUS overturn of Roe v Wade is unlikely, why have Presidents and Supreme Court justices been so concerned about it?

This took me twenty seconds to find:

Justice Scalia on Roe vs. Wade: “Not Yet, Maybe Not Never, but Certainly Not Yet”
by LifeSiteNews.com
Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:15 EST
Comments (0)

By Terry Vanderheyden

FREIBURG, Switzerland, March 10, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Justice Antonin Scalia, one of nine judges on the U.S. Supreme Court, told a group attending a fireside discussion that he sees it unlikely that Roe v. Wade will be reversed now, but has hopes that it may be down the road.

As reported by Bureau Audiovisuel Francophone (BAF), Justice Scalia confirmed that the abortion ban passed this week in South Dakota will “ultimately” make its way to the Supreme Court. When questioned by BAF on the timeline for a reversal of Roe v. Wade, Justice Scalia responded, “I have no idea . . . and no idea whether it will be.”

Speaking before academics at the University of Freiburg Wednesday, he explained that, with the current court, there is still a majority who favor abortion. “It is not likely to be overturned with the current court because there are still five justices on our court who voted in favour of Roe v. Wade,” Justice Scalia said. “If I had to guess, I would say, ‘not yet . . . maybe not never, but certainly not yet.’”

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia sees the overturn of Roe v Wade as possible.

Some anonymous poster on the internet who claims to have been a lawyer says it's not.

Who ya gonna believe? :idunno:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He won't answer you because he either doesn't know or does and realizes that, as per my response, he's not being straight with you. Roe established precedent in the face of disparate treatments by differing codified jurisdictions, as per my last on it. It didn't overturn precedent.

Also, that anyone with an interest would hope to see Roe overturned, Justice or President, isn't the point. That stare decisis isn't law isn't being questioned either. But I've set out the Court's holding and discussion of that term of art and the likelihood of Roe's now substantive precedent being moved by that or subsequent Courts.

Given an amendment is a difficult process and I oppose abortion I'd love for there to be a realistic and easier path to its abolition, but there just isn't. Now a great many people use the judiciary angle, on either side, to marshal and maintain a political faction and focus. And given anything is potentially, no matter how marginally, possible, an honest statement made against likelihood can be a great crowd pleaser.

Scalia's opinion, not offered in a judicial setting, runs contrary to the historical Court's practice and the larger learned opinion, even from many a pro life legal camp.

As to Sod's sorry "claims to be a lawyer" nonsense, I've set out my credentials for AMR and he can verify them for you if you're troubled on that point.

:e4e:

some other dude

Scalia's opinion, not offered in a judicial setting, runs contrary to the historical Court's practice and the larger learned opinion, even from many a pro life legal camp.

As to Sod's sorry "claims to be a lawyer" nonsense, I've set out my credentials for AMR and he can verify them for you if you're troubled on that point.

:e4e:

Town, a greater legal authority than Antonin Scalia. :chuckle:

:mock:the self-important lawyer

some other dude

kmo - do you see now why I won't bother to do anything other than mock him?

I give the opinion of a Supreme Court Justice that the reversal of Roe v Wade is possible.

But Town knows better, because he took some legal secretary courses at the local community college in between wood shop and remedial math.

What a joke.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town, a greater legal authority than Antonin Scalia. :chuckle:
Scalia wasn't, as I noted, in a judicial setting nor rendering a legal opinion, only the personal sort indefinite enough for his purpose.

And I quoted another Justice with comparable credentials in an actual S. Ct. opinion that matters.

:mock:the self-important lawyer
Well, at least I've gotten you off the "claims to be" nonsense.

That's progress. Else:

I'm not interested in your estimation of my character or the expression of your own, only in your argument/counter, to the extent you can fashion one.

Mind your ears.

Arthur Brain

kmo - do you see now why I won't bother to do anything other than mock him?

I give the opinion of a Supreme Court Justice that the reversal of Roe v Wade is possible.

But Town knows better, because he took some legal secretary courses at the local community college in between wood shop and remedial math.

What a joke.

You "mock" him because when presented with salient counters you've nothing else to deliver. Town and I are diametrically opposed on certain issues but his credentials as an honest and mature poster on this site are not in doubt. You OTOH resort to childish name calling at any given opportunity which usually equates to a lack of an actual argument...

Bring on the "tardly" crap....

:plain:

WizardofOz

I see what you've done there

I see what you've done there

Until then, consider this: if Town is right and a SCOTUS overturn of Roe v Wade is unlikely, why have Presidents and Supreme Court justices been so concerned about it?

You assert that TH claims an overturn is unlikely

Justice Antonin Scalia, one of nine judges on the U.S. Supreme Court, told a group attending a fireside discussion that he sees it unlikely that Roe v. Wade will be reversed now, but has hopes that it may be down the road.

Scalia also asserts that an overturn is unlikely

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia sees the overturn of Roe v Wade as possible.

Now the adjective turns to possible rather than likely.

Some anonymous poster on the internet who claims to have been a lawyer says it's not.

All in one post you've taken your assertion of TH's position from what is likely to implying he claims it isn't possible.

Scalia said "maybe not never, but certainly not yet." How does that conflict with TH's position?