toldailytopic: Overpopulation. Is the world really over populated as some assert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Related question: Do you think God would approve if we started terraforming Mars?

:think:

I'm more interested in knowing if God would approve if we leveled Congress and built a super mall. Congress seems less useful.

But to answer the topic of the day question: no. The world is not overpopulated.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What would you deem responsible procreation?

I may have worded that wrongly. I don't mean to put any specific number on it. Maybe what I should have said is responsible sex habits to minimize children people weren't even trying for.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I haven't read any of his posts, can you summarize in your own words what you believe?

Overpopulation isn't strictly about land area; it's about resources. So the issue can't be stated quite as simply as "there are too many people". The problem is the amount of people on the earth consuming the amount of resources we each do. And if there is a problem now, it will only get worse with developing countries getting more developed. China is a prime example. They are becoming more like us and higher consumption goes along with it as they move up to higher standards of living. All this puts pressure on the resources being used, whether it be for energy, water, food, forests.

Zeke

No, Its mostly green mafia propaganda that fills their bank accounts with greenbacks at the expense of everyone elses ability to make a comfortable honest living. They must have solved the ice age problem that they preached a few years back, I bet they will magicaly have a answer for the warming issue as well. I still get the shivers from all that ice age talk back in sixties, but it was those drills to get under your school desk in case of a nuke attack that seems like cartoon script now maybe there is a connection.

Zeke.

elohiym

Overpopulation isn't strictly about land area; it's about resources. So the issue can't be stated quite as simply as "there are too many people". The problem is the amount of people on the earth consuming the amount of resources we each do. And if there is a problem now, it will only get worse with developing countries getting more developed. China is a prime example. They are becoming more like us and higher consumption goes along with it as they move up to higher standards of living. All this puts pressure on the resources being used, whether it be for energy, water, food, forests.

So then the world isn't overpopulated, just mismanaged. Right?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which resources are we running out of? None of the ones you mention seem to be in short supply.

drbrumley

kmo, you consider yourself a christian right? And as a christian, you would believe God would have made the provision for us in all aspects of our lives?

elohiym

kmo, you consider yourself a christian right? And as a christian, you would believe God would have made the provision for us in all aspects of our lives?

I've read the Bible, and there's certainly nothing in there about the world ending due to overpopulation or a lack of resources.

Not that I'm saying we shouldn't better manage resources.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
We are not overpopulated, but we should still un-populate the murderers, rapists, child molesters, kidnappers, etc...

nicholsmom

I would like to see these technologies in industrial production (or even to achieve break-even) before counting on them.

So you'd rather go to meddling in personal choices concerning family size instead of trusting to human ingenuity? Wow. Are you some kind of pinko commie or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.