toldailytopic: Liberals want to outlaw large soft drinks and other large sugary drink

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 1st, 2012 09:20 AM

toldailytopic: Liberals want to outlaw large soft drinks and other large sugary drinks, thoughts?

michael-bloomberg.jpg

superbiggulp.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
NO MORE BIG GULPS: NEW YORK CITY TO BAN SALE OF LARGE SODAS & SUGARED DRINKS

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

FULL STORY

Granite

Hall of Fame
Soooooooooo, you can buy a Bud tallboy at any number of pharmacies in Manhattan, but if you want to super size a Dr. Pepper, you're out of luck.

Makes. Perfect. Sense.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So here is my take.....

Me personally? I don't want to be fat or unhealthy so I choose NOT to drink sugared soft drinks. I stopped drinking soda altogether about 2 years ago and I feel great.

HOWEVER.....

It's not the governments job to be in my refrigerator. If I want to be fat and unhealthy that should be my choice.

Whats with all the freaking out about being overweight? There is nothing wrong with being overweight if the peson is happy and enjoying their life.

Understatement of the century.... Government is out of control and they hav no business telling us what size drink we can and cannot purchase.

Liberals support a woman's right to choose to murder her baby but not her right to choose to drink a large soda. :doh:

Last edited:

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
Bloomberg is a shill for moneyed interests. This is to distract the public from his unleashing police power on protesters.

“New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”

Ridiculous.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So here is my take.....

Me personally? I don't want to be fat or unhealthy so I choose NOT to drink sugared soft drinks. I stopped drinking soda altogether about 2 years ago and I feel great.

HOWEVER.....

It's not the governments job to be in my refrigerator. If I want to be fat and unhealthy that should be my choice.

Whats with all the freaking out about being overweight? There is nothing wrong with being overweight if the peson is happy and enjoying their life.

Understatement of the century.... Government is out of control and they hav no business telling us what size drink we can and cannot purchase.

Liberals support a woman's right to choose to murder her baby but not her right to choose to drink a large soda. :doh:
101010.gif

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd suggest a march on city hall, but there aren't enough ambulances for the inevitable fall out. :plain:

A silly business with no end in sight, however well intentioned.

Buzzword

Stupid.

There's no evidence that the act of drinking soda in ANY amount causes or even contributes to obesity.

My wife hasn't had a coke in two and a half years, but hasn't lost any weight due to other health factors.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
:baby: Where's my nanny? I am thirsty and cannot decide for myself what to drink.
“We’re simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup.” :Commie: ~ Mayor Bloomberg Rev. 13:11–17

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:doh: Let's outlaw all desserts while we are at it. Liberals are complete morons. They want to outlaw soda pop and make pot legal. :dunce:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Hey, at least pot's got health benefits. But yeah, this is...this is madness. Madness run amok.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
NO MORE BIG GULPS: NEW YORK CITY TO BAN SALE OF LARGE SODAS & SUGARED DRINKS

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores.

“Obesity is a nationwide problem, and all over the United States, public health officials are wringing their hands saying, ‘Oh, this is terrible,’ ” Mr. Bloomberg said in an interview on Wednesday in the Governor’s Room at City Hall.

FULL STORY

Still not drinking O-Pepsi products. Dumping Starbucks now. Soon can’t have a Big Gulp.

“Stay thirsty my friends” is taking on a whole new meaning!