toldailytopic: Is the death penalty unchristian?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 16th, 2012 09:46 AM

toldailytopic: Is the death penalty unchristian?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
God certainly gave governments the authority to carry out the death penalty. I think that God rather expects that governments should use it.

Should Christians be so vocal in calling for the death penalty? I think not.

oatmeal

The death penalty is Christian

Acts 25:11

"For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar."

Love your neighbor as yourself. That is what Paul was saying.

He loved his neighbor, so if he did anything worthy of death, the loving thing would be to accept the death penalty.

oatmeal

This Charming Manc

I don't think character of Christ was blood thirsty, like some Christians here.

If we follow in his footsteps, do we wish to condemn the world or save it?

I think a Christlike character is quick to grace and slow to judgement, this includes the death penalty.

There are time when it would feel just to me, and would seem a black and white decision, but for the many more times when we live in a we world of mistakes, uncertainty and ambiguity I cannot hold with it.

I can't say its unchristian due to no known clear chapter and verse, but I would say I don't feel outside the will of God opposing it.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No. It is unchristian to give murders and rapists a slap on the hand and let them go to victimize more people. This culture's sympathy for criminals is a big reason why it is in the trouble it is in. It is no longer blame the criminal anymore. It blame his parents, blame his food or his genes. That is very unchristian.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
I think the death penalty is completely contradictory to Christianity.

Not only are we not subject to the Old Law, we are not even supposed to live by it. In doing so, we pretty much omit any reason for Jesus coming in the first place.
And also, if we say that the Old Law should be followed in any way, then we have already failed because it requires near perfection of following it.

So all one is really left with is the NT, and Jesus said himself to let the one without sin cast the first stone. Adultery was punishable with death, but do we send adulterers to the chair?
Therefore, if one executes murderers and rapists, execute adulterers as well. And homosexuals, and those who use God's name in vain as well.
Otherwise, you are stumbling by that one thing and are guilty.

That's sort of the contradiction with all defenses used for the death penalty, including Acts 25:11 as oatmeal prescribed.
The Bible says to be subject to government. It does not however say that Christians should condone the death penalty. These are two entirely different gambits. And it's not as if God doesn't send signs- the Church got a hold of government and it failed. American Christians are failing at putting their beliefs into government. Two entirely different things- they are meant to be separate.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The death penalty began with GOD's covenant with all mankind through Noah:

Gen 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

I see no place where this has been rescinded.
I don't see why Christianity would abrogate it, but only that it would and should reinforce truth and justice in the matter.

This Charming Manc

Seeing as I have been a bible believing Christian for 25 years now quite a bit.

My theology and politics may be different than yours, but please don't doubt my faith.

What would you know about Jesus Christ?

Why is it that when Christians promote the death penalty, atheists call God a pacifist, but when Christians promote God, atheists call Him evil?

This Charming Manc

Doesn't the cross break both the power of Sin and Death?

Isn't the aim of the cross to nullify the effects of the law?

The death penalty began with GOD's covenant with all mankind through Noah:

Gen 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

I see no place where this has been rescinded.
I don't see why Christianity would abrogate it, but only that it would and should reinforce truth and justice in the matter.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Doesn't the cross break both the power of Sin and Death? Isn't the aim of the cross to nullify the effects of the law?

Yes. But that is for our eternal salvation. The death penalty is for our earthly governance.

Which should be perfectly obvious when you think about your response to crime. Though you claim here that 'sin and death are broken', you still promote punishment for lawbreakers. Just not God's system of punishment.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... the death penalty, IMO, is not a Christian or Secularist issue but rather a human issue that involves the best way to protect society from murderers.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe it was Christ who defeated death.
That's right. Yet we must all still live under government and then die. So it's clear you're not talking about anything relating to how we go to meet our maker.

Why are you so keen to impose what Christ came to remove?
He didn't come to remove the death penalty. He came so that even though we might deserve and receive it, we might still be saved from hell.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No ... the death penalty, IMO, is not a Christian or Secularist issue but rather a human issue that involves the best way to protect society from murderers.

:think: They certainly won't be doing it again.

This Charming Manc

The world is still fallen, its what we live with and in.

But if seek to follow Christ is must desire that all men live and none shall die.

Did Jesus disagree with God when he spared the women caught in adultery?

Are you without sin? Can you throw the first stone?

I am not without sin and therefore will not cast the first stone. Jesus was without sin and could. He choose not to.

I think if spent more time in the Gospels and less time in the law you may understand the heart of God, and his desires.

Yes. But that is for our eternal salvation. The death penalty is for our earthly governance.

Which should be perfectly obvious when you think about your response to crime. Though you claim here that 'sin and death are broken', you still promote punishment for lawbreakers. Just not God's system of punishment.

This Charming Manc

You ignore all the verse about death as well, there are many more than about hell.

Death is the enemy of the Good news and the Kingdom.

He didn't come to remove the death penalty. He came so that even though we might deserve and receive it, we might still be saved from hell.