toldailytopic: Is it always wrong to kill another human?

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Have you considered that A4T and others whom you are trying to "enlighten" don't derive pleasure from the pain, suffering or humiliation of those who meet their just ends, but from the notion of justice served?

In my experience many of the supporters of the death penalty want to watch, want public executions, want to be the administrator of death, others want to perpetrate violence and savor the gore. Of course, some are appropriately solemn in their support of the death penalty. Those with a sadistic streak need it pointed out to them.

btw, eye for an eye is sadistic or just feeble-minded.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I am referring to multiple online and in person debates on the topic.
I have read through some studies.

And you're expecting to find those types here.

OK.

Could I suggest that instead of trying to force people into your pre-conceived notions, you might dialogue with them first?

PureX

In my experience many of the supporters of the death penalty want to watch, want public executions, want to be the administrator of death ...
I think the idea that we are somehow endowed with the obligation to meet out "just punishment" is fundamentally an expression of ego, as it's based on the presumption of being some sort of demigod, or divinely appointed surrogate for God, Himself.

resurrected asked: "Have you considered that A4T and others whom you are trying to "enlighten" don't derive pleasure from the pain, suffering or humiliation of those who meet their just ends, but from the notion of justice served?"

And i believe his observation is exactly right. The pleasure is in the idea of meeting out divine justice, just as if one were God, Himself. And you are correct as well, in that the fact that one would take pleasure in this is a dead give-away for it being a self-centered (egocentric) exercise.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I think the idea that we are somehow endowed with the obligation to meet out "just punishment" is fundamentally an expression of ego, as it's based on the presumption of being some sort of demigod, or divinely appointed surrogate for God, Himself.

resurrected asked: "Have you considered that A4T and others whom you are trying to "enlighten" don't derive pleasure from the pain, suffering or humiliation of those who meet their just ends, but from the notion of justice served?"

And i believe his observation is exactly right. The pleasure is in the idea of meeting out divine justice, just as if one were God, Himself. And you are correct as well, in that the fact that one would take pleasure in this is a dead give-away for it being a self-centered (egocentric) exercise.

Would you apply the same analysis to judges?

two additional thoughts re: "And you are correct as well, in that the fact that one would take pleasure in this is a dead give-away for it being a self-centered (egocentric) exercise"

Based on that reasoning, what action does any human take that is not egocentric?

And if we accept that it is egocentric, it still doesn't meet the definition of sadism.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So sorry that the complexity of the world can not be adequately described by primative absolutes.
Some things are absolutely true. The fact that you don't believe this is true, does not make the idea primitive, your condescension not withstanding.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Uberpod1 said:
If one is abused as a child and does not acknowledge the treatment as abuse, one is very likely to strongly support the death penalty.

To understand his position on this, you need to realize that he is defining any form of spanking as abuse. The studies he would cite would not differentiate between a person who counts to ten and makes sure to calm down before using the "rod of correction" from the person who beats his kid bloody, leaves scars and gives his kid concussions.

I am actually quite certain that a child who has received proper correction through reasonable corporal punishment is more likely to support the death penalty.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
And you're expecting to find those types here.

OK.

Could I suggest that instead of trying to force people into your pre-conceived notions, you might dialogue with them first?
Please don't call A4T a liar. She will smile when she shoots off the heads of tresspassers who she believes would harm her or her family. Do you not believe her?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Please don't call A4T a liar. She will smile when she shoots off the heads of tresspassers who she believes would harm or her family. Do you not believe her?

Yes, that's a provocative statement.

Now, instead of making an assumption, ask her something like this: "A4T - will you be smiling because you will be deriving pleasure, esp. sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others or will you be smiling for another reason?"

See?

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
If an adult male said he loves little boys, wants to buy them special little gifts, and invite them for a sleepover in his bed, would you simply ask if it is a spiritual love or for another reason and believe his answer?

Sometimes things are obvious.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Anyway, I think we all learned that it is always wrong to kill human beings despite the possibility of legitimate mitigating circumstances. And, that feeding the baser human emotions esp. revenge is not that great of an idea.

Bye.