toldailytopic: Is hate always a bad thing?

faramir77

Emotion is the antithesis of reason.

just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the unrighteous.

Someone said, negitive emotion morphs into disease. Emotion is energy and when one overwhelms the Vagus Nerve, then that energy will manifest elsewhere.

Duck on the water, man. Duck on the water.
forgive them for they know not what they do; conditioned, trained, inculcated into this wicked age, what else can one expect from the unregenerate?

Hate is what they understand, love on the other hand, is alien and confounds them, hence the 'heeping live coals upon their head'
and when they try then can't get to you, expect the strange phenomonon wherein they try even harder to get you to sink to their base level. Juxtaposing noble, integral fortitude against their base and unsophisticated intellect makes them uncomfortable and confused.

PureX

Did you ever see "A Bronx Tale"? DeNiro's character keeps expressing to his son that the worst thing is lost potential. This does not mean it will not happen, this does not mean there won't be death and disease, and murder and killing. But we should take up "arms" (and not in a way to destroy more potential) in a passionate way against these things that lead to lost potential.
I agree. Just because laws against rape will not stop rape from occurring (for example) doesn't mean we should abolish those laws. It's important that we keep trying. But piling all our own internal bile onto an accused rapist and then destroying him is neither justice nor is it effective. We will not be relieved of our own internal bile by trying to project it onto the "sinners" and then condemning and punishing them to excess.

Thomas Merton wrote: "A Pharisee is one who's righteousness is nourished by the blood of sinners." Hatred often hides itself behind the delusion of self-righteousness.

noguru

Kahlil Gibran said:
Your soul is oftentimes a battlefield, upon which your reason and your judgment wage war against your passion and your appetite.
Would that I could be the peacemaker in your soul, that I might turn the discord and the rivalry of your elements into oneness and melody.
But how shall I, unless you yourselves be also the peacemakers, nay, the lovers of all your elements?

Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul. If either your sails or your rudder be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas.
For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction.
Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that it may sing;
And let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily resurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes.

I would have you consider your judgment and your appetite even as you would two loved guests in your house.
Surely you would not honour one guest above the other; for he who is more mindful of one loses the love and the faith of both.

Among the hills, when you sit in the cool shade of the white poplars, sharing the peace and serenity of distant fields and meadows -- then let your heart say in silence, "God rests in reason."
And when the storm comes, and the mighty wind shakes the forest, and thunder and lightning proclaim the majesty of the sky -- then let your heart say in awe, "God moves in passion."
And since you are a breath in God's sphere, and a leaf in God's forest, you too should rest in reason and move in passion.

noguru

Thomas Merton wrote: A Pharisee is one who's righteousness is nourished by the blood of sinners." Hatred often hides itself behind the delusion of self-righteousness.

Yes, but it need not be. That is why we must be honest with ourselves and face our demons head on. Sit beside them unshaken and look them firmly in the eye. There is no need to cower from them. Cowering from them is exactly what makes them more powerful. And as we judge in others, we should apply it equally to ourselves.

PureX

Yes, but it need not be. That is why we must be honest with ourselves and face our demons head on. Sit beside them unshaken and look them firmly in the eye. There is no need to cower from them. Cowering from them is exactly what makes them more powerful. And as we judge in others, we should apply it equally to ourselves.
That has certainly been my experience. Taking responsibility for how I feel, instead of blaming someone else, is the key. You are exactly right. Once I do that, I can begin to take control of my own feelings. I can learn how to deal with my fear, and anger, and frustration, and disappointment, and confusion, and hurt for myself. So that I can then interact with other people with compassion, and with understanding, and with forgiveness. This is how we heal, and grow. This is how we teach others to heal and grow.

noguru

That has certainly been my experience. Taking responsibility for how I feel, instead of blaming someone else, is the key. You are exactly right. Once I do that, I can begin to take control of my own feelings. I can learn how to deal with my fear, and anger, and frustration, and disappointment, and confusion, and hurt for myself. So that I can then interact with other people with compassion, and with understanding, and with forgiveness. This is how we heal, and grow. This is how we teach others to heal and grow.

Yes, we both agree.

But it is not that our capacity for passion becomes entirely nill. It is that we adjust that for which we are passionate and learn to better balance reason and passion. I also notice that people who are overly fixated on anger, fear, hatred are fighting battles on way too many battle fronts. It becomes apparent that they are clouded in their ability to choose their battles wisely.

sangridad

BANNED
Banned
truly I'd prefer a world in which everyone was loving, empathetic, and understanding but that just isn't the case. we live in a world where many choose to keep their preconceptions about people and ideas and thus hate is born; however if you want to get a large group of people to rally behind something, nothing is better than hate. At that point all that matters is the will of the person swaying the many.

noguru

truly I'd prefer a world in which everyone was loving, empathetic, and understanding but that just isn't the case. we live in a world where many choose to keep their preconceptions about people and ideas and thus hate is born; however if you want to get a large group of people to rally behind something, nothing is better than hate. At that point all that matters is the will of the person swaying the many.

Hate does not have to make us irrational.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
hate, a destructive force.......

hate, a destructive force.......

Hate does not have to make us irrational.

Perhaps, but is hate even necessary.... when the divine nature of God that is indivisibly One is pure Love? Why hate?...when the divine principle and law is love? In what sense is one fuflilling the command of Jesus to love all....when he is not loving? If one is abiding in the fullness of the Spirit, how can he hate? Can hate be born of love? I find all this focus on 'hate' antithetical to divine principle, and is only something engaged in in this world of opposing dualities(opposites), where conflict and dichotomies exist,...yet ever still...there is only One God-Presence that is Love, Infinite Good, and all power. To hate anything does not really change anything, but only agitates the hater, while one who is abiding in the Spirit enjoys the peace and equanimity of God in the face of all appearances.

This becomes more contentious when some here focus on a form of 'righteous hate', but is more often something their religious ego uses to vent its own darker nature and human tendencies thru. Its easy to justify being a 'hater' if you can claim its inspired by God's hate,..but this essentially goes against the very nature of God who is Love. This complicates and makes nuetral persons even more adversarial against the so called 'god' these haters claim to be devotees of. Hate is hardly a value that glorifies or even represents the true God who is Love, and even the word 'hate' is so contrary to the divine nature as to question even its use, as other words can be used appropriate to how a true follower of God deals with evil.

In this world, hate serves no one and is destructive. Constructive attitudes of love, service and helpfulness are more effective in transforming lives, glorifying God and manifesting divine goodness as what is real and enduring. God is One, He is not divided or contradicted in his constitution.

pj

bybee

Perhaps, but is hate even necessary.... when the divine nature of God that is indivisibly One is pure Love? Why hate?...when the divine principle and law is love? In what sense is one fuflilling the command of Jesus to love all....when he is not loving? If one is abiding in the fullness of the Spirit, how can he hate? Can hate be born of love? I find all this focus on 'hate' antithetical to divine principle, and is only something engaged in in this world of opposing dualities(opposites), where conflict and dichotomies exist,...yet ever still...there is only One God-Presence that is Love, Infinite Good, and all power. To hate anything does not really change anything, but only agitates the hater, while one who is abiding in the Spirit enjoys the peace and equanimity of God in the face of all appearances.
Your point is valid. But what is one to do in the presence of evil that seeks to destroy innocent life?
This becomes more contentious when some here focus on a form of 'righteous hate', but is more often something their religious ego uses to vent its own darker nature and human tendencies thru. Its easy to justify being a 'hater' if you can claim its inspired by God's hate,..but this essentially goes against the very nature of God who is Love. This complicates and makes nuetral persons even more adversarial against the so called 'god' these haters claim to be devotees of. Hate is hardly a value that glorifies or even represents the true God who is Love, and even the word 'hate' is so contrary to the divine nature as to question even its use, as other words can be used appropriate to how a true follower of God deals with evil.

In this world, hate serves no one and is destructive. Constructive attitudes of love, service and helpfulness are more effective in transforming lives, glorifying God and manifesting divine goodness as what is real and enduring. God is One, He is not divided or contradicted in his constitution.

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Love is the eternal ultimate value or it is not.......

Love is the eternal ultimate value or it is not.......

Your point is valid. But what is one to do in the presence of evil that seeks to destroy innocent life?

One is to abide in truth, in the divine presence, and uphold ONLY that divine value and principle. What does engaging in 'hatred' do to help anything or anyone?

pj

Breathe

It s my belief that if you allow hatred for anything into your life, it becomes easier to hate other things. For that reason, I try my best not to engage in it. It is hard enough to keep a simple case of "dislike" from growing into something bigger.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Originally Posted by bybee View Post

vote republican

noguru

One is to abide in truth, in the divine presence, and uphold ONLY that divine value and principle. What does engaging in 'hatred' do to help anything or anyone?

pj

Hatred is simply an emotion. It is better to accept our emotions but not let them control us. The kind of hate you are talking about is an obsessive hate that pervades and controls a person, rather than just an emotional response guided by reason to what has happened.