toldailytopic: Homeless people: how should a society handle them?

Granite

Hall of Fame
What am I dodging? I see things differently than you.
There is a thing called the budget.

How is your attitude in regards to your pocketbook different from one of literature's most notorious misers?

Let's also remember we working stiffs have zero control over where our hard-earned goes once it's fleeced.

PureX

I said a portion of my taxes goes to charitable works. Through my taxes people that I cannot reach on my own may be reached.

This is the first time in my 75 years of life that I have been compared to Scrooge.
Taxation is neither charity nor theft. It is a social responsibility. The government is not collecting taxes and then using some of that money as some sort of forced "charity". It uses some of that money to provide for social services because we, through our representatives in government, believe these services are for the good of society as a whole. Including ourselves. Social services are more like a form of insurance than it is a form of charity. We all pay into it so that we can all have access to it if we find ourselves in need. This isn't "charity", and it isn't "theft". It's just a form of socialized insurance that we as a society have agreed to implement for ourselves.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
One naked man, in a warm climate, surrounded by people who actually believe in helping others, and do not flip out at the sight of nakedness. And yet you somehow imagine this 'solution' should be applied here in the U.S.? Where he would immediately be arrested and imprisoned for being naked, or he would eventually die of exposure or of hunger? I can't even imagine the abuse such an obvious target/victim would suffer at the hands of callous and even vicious american citizens.

so you would lock him up to protect himself?

how kind of you

bybee

How is your attitude in regards to your pocketbook different from one of literature's most notorious misers?

I will say this much, for the first fifteen years of our marriage we were poor. We had pennies left on payday and not able to save a dime.
When the time came that we had money left over on payday we shared. We shared with family, employees and the community.
When my husband passed away I was not left a rich widow. Yet, I continue to share and support family members in need, my church (because of outreach) and some community endeavors.
Forgive me if this sounds like bragging, it isn't.
You seem to believe that if someone doesn't see things through your lens they are remiss.
And now? I've had enough of you.

PureX

so you would lock him up to protect himself?

how kind of you
I never said anything about locking him up. I said the mentally ill should be put in safe houses and helped to become as self-sufficient as they are able. The safe house isn't for imprisoning anyone. It's for protecting them.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I never said anything about locking him up. I said the mentally ill should be put in safe houses and helped to become as self-sufficient as they are able. The safe house isn't for imprisoning anyone. It's for protecting them.

should they be free to leave?

Granite

Hall of Fame
I will say this much, for the first fifteen years of our marriage we were poor. We had pennies left on payday and not able to save a dime.
When the time came that we had money left over on payday we shared. We shared with family, employees and the community.
When my husband passed away I was not left a rich widow. Yet, I continue to share and support family members in need, my church (because of outreach) and some community endeavors.
Forgive me if this sounds like bragging, it isn't.
You seem to believe that if someone doesn't see things through your lens they are remiss.
And now? I've had enough of you.

Well it looks like I've struck a nerve, which frankly isn't my problem. Enjoy the holiday. I'm sure we'll be catching up after.

Arthur Brain

What does that have to do with anything? You are a hypocrite. You cry that others are uncompassionate, yet you do not give all that you can give. Cry and stomp your feet all you want. You are a hypocrite.

Actually I've taken issue with the vile attitudes towards the homeless whereby they should supposedly be locked up just for being on the streets and 'allowed to die' according to a few flaming cranks on here. I've never laid claim to giving all that I have, in fact I've admitted I could and should have done more.

If you're going to throw that at me then what do you do exactly Nick?

And 'cry and stomp my feet'? Get over yourself you little pleb. You've consistently shown yourself to be one of the most childish and vile individuals on this site.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm not sure what our society should do about the homeless but if the privileged few continue to control more and more of the nation's wealth there are going to soon be millions more homeless.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, lets just say those that have committed no crime in order to be in such an unenviable position then. Do you concede that there are plenty people on the streets who don't deserve to freeze in the winter and with a more compassionate attitude in general wouldn't be 'living' in cardboard boxes and newspapers for a blanket?

Of course.

Wile E. Coyote

Yes there is. You are nit-picking. My taxes help others and they help me. They also line the long pockets of crooks and sticky-fingered politicians!
Also I believe I stated quite clearly, quite succinctly that it is what goes above 10% that may be caqlled charitable.
It would be nice if you would just once give me credit for decency!
You were very clear Bybee. But don't expect Granite to ever give credit.

Btw, tithing was old testament.

Happy Thanksgiving!

bybee

You were very clear Bybee. But don't expect Granite to ever give credit.

Btw, tithing was old testament.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks Wile and Happy Thanksgiving to you also.
Tithing is OT but may be used as a reference. I feel that sharing is not a matter of percentages but a matter of need and available resources.

Wile E. Coyote

Tithing is OT but may be used as a reference. I feel that sharing is not a matter of percentages but a matter of need and available resources.
Agreed! Paul said to give as the Lord has granted us the ability. One time I gave 75% because I was able.

Wile E. Coyote

I'm not sure what our society should do about the homeless but if the privileged few continue to control more and more of the nation's wealth there are going to soon be millions more homeless.
The redistribution of wealth will secure more privileged few as it will eliminate all classes leaving only the aristrocrats and the poor.

eameece

Taxation is neither charity nor theft. It is a social responsibility. The government is not collecting taxes and then using some of that money as some sort of forced "charity". It uses some of that money to provide for social services because we, through our representatives in government, believe these services are for the good of society as a whole. Including ourselves. Social services are more like a form of insurance than it is a form of charity. We all pay into it so that we can all have access to it if we find ourselves in need. This isn't "charity", and it isn't "theft". It's just a form of socialized insurance that we as a society have agreed to implement for ourselves.

Exactly. I wonder why this fact is so hard to understand for some people.