toldailytopic: Homeless people: how should a society handle them?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The people forced into homelessness by our Darwinian economic system should be given whatever help they need to re-enter productive society. The mentally ill should be put back into safe houses where they can be helped to achieve whatever level of self-sufficiency they are able. And the addicts and alcoholics should be given meals and a place to sleep, and an open opportunity for rehabilitation if they should ever choose to take it.

Some street people will want to remain on the street, and that's their choice. Some will take some help occasionally, and some will successfully return to productive society if we can give them the help they need to do so.

There is no 'one-size-fits-all' solution, and just handing them Bibles isn't going to help them. They need food, shelter, a lot of personal attention, and a society that actually WANTS them. And right now they have very little of any of these.

I have a relative who's one step away from homelessness, and mental illness has a major part to play in it. There are absolutely no safety nets for this person; he falls through every hole in the system there is. Family has taken care of the situation thus far, but I'm aware that a day will come when that's not possible anymore, the situation is almost too much to handle already. It's these souls, the mentally ill and those damaged by substance abuse who are the hardest homeless to help. But that doesn't mean we don't do it, that we measure our compassion based on our flawed judgment of their capacity to help themselves. Such arrogance. And from those who are divinely instructed to render charity to those in need, no less.

bybee

Eh, agreed. Funny: I've had several folks here take umbrage with the second bit of my signature but I've never once had anyone complain that my "Social Darwinists" bit is inaccurate. Odd, that.

I would add that there are Christians who do make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate.
It is the interpretation of Christianity by some folks that often gives one pause.
In the Judeo-Christian ethic we are mandated to give 10% of our time, talent and money for the good of others. Anything over 10% is called charitable sharing.
And yes, through our taxes we are very charitable!

OMEGA

A homeless person came into my Condo and the Police were called

and they took her to a Shelter.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would add that there are Christians who do make a difference in the lives of those less fortunate.
It is the interpretation of Christianity by some folks that often gives one pause.
In the Judeo-Christian ethic we are mandated to give 10% of our time, talent and money for the good of others. Anything over 10% is called charitable sharing.
Yes there are. There is also the Samaritan type who help with no regard to themselves and seek to recompense.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Another Ebenezeresque reply. There is nothing "charitable" about paying taxes, bybee. Charity goes above and beyond what Caesar requires; it's what you do freely and whole-heartedly.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Another Ebenezeresque reply. There is nothing "charitable" about paying taxes, bybee. Charity goes above and beyond what Caesar requires; it's what you do freely and whole-heartedly.

Granite helps make the point against welfare for the homeless. :chuckle:

PureX

when I was in India I saw this naked guy in the bazaar
he was almost fat
he did not ask for money, had no place to put it
he did ask for food from the vendors
and
obviously got enough to eat
he was very peaceful
and
no threat to anyone
and
free as a bird
after thinking about this, I had to conclude this was better than locking him up in an asylum
One naked man, in a warm climate, surrounded by people who actually believe in helping others, and do not flip out at the sight of nakedness. And yet you somehow imagine this 'solution' should be applied here in the U.S.? Where he would immediately be arrested and imprisoned for being naked, or he would eventually die of exposure or of hunger? I can't even imagine the abuse such an obvious target/victim would suffer at the hands of callous and even vicious american citizens.

bybee

Yes there is. You are nit-picking. My taxes help others and they help me. They also line the long pockets of crooks and sticky-fingered politicians!
Also I believe I stated quite clearly, quite succinctly that it is what goes above 10% that may be caqlled charitable.
It would be nice if you would just once give me credit for decency!

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Homeless people: how should a society handle them?

I'm speaking of street people. The type who live under bridges and spend most of the day drunk.
Great question and clarification.

Next what if was any one of us, reader's or poster's, what would you want if you in that situation.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes there is. You are nit-picking.

No, I'm not. I don't consider tax paying to be charity. Never have, never will. What is "charitable" about doing what you're required to do?:dizzy:

"I help to support the prisons and the workhouses--they cost enough--and those who are badly off must go there."

My taxes help others and they help me.

And you somehow consider this...charity? I always saw charity as going above and beyond the call of duty.

bybee

No, I'm not. I don't consider tax paying to be charity. Never have, never will. What is "charitable" about doing what you're required to do?:dizzy:

"I help to support the prisons and the workhouses--they cost enough--and those who are badly off must go there."

And you somehow consider this...charity? I always saw charity as going above and beyond the call of duty.

Some of my taxes go to charitable endeavors.
Call it as you will.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You hold me up to scorn yet you hardly know me? I cannot defend myself without looking the braggert.

Bybee, you're just dodging the question.

So far, people here have suggested we let the indigent die on the streets. "Let them die and decrease the surplus population" came to mind.

Then came your insistence that "charity" is the same as paying Uncle Sam. Which sounded awfully familiar, too.

How is your attitude in regards to your pocketbook different from one of literature's most notorious misers?

And how can you in good conscience honestly believe your taxes are the same as charitable donations?

Last edited:

bybee

Bybee, you're just dodging the question.

So far, people here have suggested we let the indigent die on the streets. "Let them die and decrease the surplus population" came to mind.

Then came your insistence that "charity" is the same as paying Uncle Sam. Which sounded awfully familiar, too.

How is your attitude in regards to your pocketbook different from one of literature's most notorious misers?

And how can you in good conscience honestly believe your taxes are the same as charitable donations?

I said a portion of my taxes goes to charitable works. Through my taxes people that I cannot reach on my own may be reached.

This is the first time in my 75 years of life that I have been compared to Scrooge.

Wile E. Coyote

I said a portion of my taxes goes to charitable works. Through my taxes people that I cannot reach on my own may be reached.

This is the first time in my 75 years of life that I have been compared to Scrooge.
Bybee,

Granite is a bigot. How he could call you a scrooge is beyond me. I doubt that he puts his money where his mouth is. Liberals are "other people's money" advocates.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Bybee,

Granite is a bigot. How he could call you a scrooge is beyond me. I doubt that he puts his money where his mouth is. Liberals are "other people's money" advocates.

And you're both presumptuous and completely clueless. Why some of you guys insist I'm a "liberal" is beyond me (unless the word just means "whatever I disagree with" in your book). Try again, bright eyes...

Granite

Hall of Fame

Your words speak for themselves. And once again, you're dodging. I'm also curious as to how you can be so sure about where and how your taxes are allocated.

bybee

Your words speak for themselves. And once again, you're dodging. I'm also curious as to how you can be so sure about where and how your taxes are allocated.

What am I dodging? I see things differently than you.
There is a thing called the budget.