toldailytopic: Government run schools. What (if anything) would you do to change them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 24th, 2010 11:10 AM

toldailytopic: Government run schools. What (if anything) would you do to change them if you could?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Make taxpayer funding for them dependent on whether or not the taxpaying parent has a child enrolled there.

Granite

Hall of Fame
:think: You know, I'd actually get behind that. :thumb:

:cheers:

It's frustrating to send your kids to a charter or private school or to homeschool and still have to pay into a system you've elected to opt of in the first place. I know that public services aren't usually things we have the luxury of "electing" to use--the FD and PD are pretty much going to be there forever whether or not you choose to call 911--but given the deliberate choices made by parents looking to get their kids an education, I think an exception could be made on this issue.

Sonrise

I would add theology to the curriculem. Also, give space and time for prayer...and make sure the pledge of allegiance is done again, not sure if it isn't but would if not.

And have teachers with morals, but I guess I would have to turn back time for that.

InHope

If I could only choose one thing to change about government schools, it would be to lower the cap on their size. My suspicion is that there would be much less of the outrageous violence/drugs/sex if the environment was more confined (and therefore more easily controlled)- even without changing curriculum or any other aspect significantly.

Of course, I am a product of Catholic schools (K-12), and I know that some people might feel that discredits me from being able to meaningfully comment about public school reform. Thanks to that schooling, I received a quality of education that was way beyond that of any public-school attendees that I've met- including both my siblings. (In my family, my parents allowed us to choose individually where we wanted to go to high school, partly because the public school was one of the highest-ranked in the state).

InHope

:cheers:

It's frustrating to send your kids to a charter or private school or to homeschool and still have to pay into a system you've elected to opt of in the first place. I know that public services aren't usually things we have the luxury of "electing" to use--the FD and PD are pretty much going to be there forever whether or not you choose to call 911--but given the deliberate choices made by parents looking to get their kids an education, I think an exception could be made on this issue.

I understand the frustration, but can you propose a way that democracy would work in the absence of public education? Talk about class warfare! I believe that even if you opt out of the system, you still benefit from its existence (albeit in an indirect "society is better because of it" kind of way). That being said, there is definitely a need for serious reform within the system!

drbrumley

I would add theology to the curriculem..

Whose theology? That seems to be a problem with 1000's of denominations.

Also, give space and time for prayer....

Absolutely.

and make sure the pledge of allegiance is done again, not sure if it isn't but would if not..

Not so much. Schools haven't stopped saying the pledge.

And have teachers with morals, but I guess I would have to turn back time for that.

I think so too

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
Defund and eliminate the NEA. We don't need a federal bureaucracy telling us how to do things in Hesperia, California. Education has not improved since its inception.

Repeal 'No Child Left Behind'

Give each local school district more control over the schools within its jurisdiction.

Eliminate statewide standardized testing.

Return to a classical approach to education. This would necessitate the elimination of most textbooks - math and some science excluded. A 'great books' approach would be employed to teach the liberal arts.

Somehow, and this is the tough one, re-establish the notion that education is the responsibility of parents, and that the school does not become the parent.

That's a start. I'll probably be back with more.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Government run schools. What (if anything) would you do to change them if you could?

Bulldoze them all down and send the kids home to the real and intended teachers; their parents.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Bulldoze them all down and send the kids home to the real and intended teachers; their parents.

Without exception?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Make taxpayer funding for them dependent on whether or not the taxpaying parent has a child enrolled there.
A very bad idea. Everybody benefits by making sure our youth are well educated, especially with the current from of government wherein we are expecting our children to pay for the debts we are allowing our government to incur.

Granite

Hall of Fame
A very bad idea. Everybody benefits by making sure our youth are well educated, especially with the current from of government wherein we are expecting our children to pay for the debts we are allowing our government to incur.

I guess I approach it more from a payer-fairness standpoint.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
One of the greatest problems facing many public schools is parental apathy. I have no idea how to encourage to get involved with their kids lives. The best teacher in the world cannot teach a kid who doesn't want to learn and if the parents don't value education, the kids wont either. This is one of the two major reasons private schools are perceived as being better than public schools. After all, if you are paying for school odds are good you are going to make sure your kid is working hard.

Public schools are also forced to provide medical services for students that need them. This is wrong. Schools are to educate children, they are not in the business of providing medical services. If your student needs special medical services then the parents should be responsible for providing those services, not the school district. Also, children who cannot be educated in a typical classroom should not be there. Harsh as it sounds, it does nobody any good to force a student into an environment they are equipped to deal with. This is the second reason that private schools are perceived as being better than public schools, private schools do not have to accept every student regardless of abilities and health needs - they can be selective.

I would change the lottery so that it provided money for school infrastructure. School building should be safe for students and fully equipped to educate those students.

I would like to see more accountability for teachers. In general, the teachers my children have had have been pretty good. But there are a couple who really shouldn't be in the classroom and there should be a way to get them out easily when required.

CSAP is a waste of time and money as it is currently implemented. Teachers do need a way to evaluate their students to make sure they are learning what they need to learn but the focus that is put on CSAP does more harm than good.

I would add more teachers and segregate classes more so that slow and advanced learners get the help they need to either succeed or excel, respectively.

I would change the start times at our schools to better fit both the parents work schedules and the studies that show kids learn and retain more when they start later. (Classes in Jefco at my daughters middle school start at 7:25. Just stupid!)

I would like to see stricter discipline return to the schools.

Our public schools have problems that need to be addressed. But America had something that the rest of the world did not have. Something that allowed us to walk on the moon, to develop computers, invent numerous technologies, continuously raise our standard of living - public schools.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I guess I approach it more from a payer-fairness standpoint.
But we all benefit from a child's education. That's my point. If we did not have social welfare programs then I would agree with you. As it is, we are all expected to pay into state and federal tax systems to pay for governmental services. As the Clinton era so clearly demonstrated, when everybody is making good money, the government can provide all the services we have come to expect without huge deficit spending.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I used to advocate this, and as someone who went to private school I had parents who dealt with this directly, but I'm not so sure now. I think I agree with what CM said. Education is one of the things that we should make a major priority and I want as much funding as possible to go to it. It might not be fair, but I'm wiling to pay some extra taxes to (hopefully) have a good education system.

Look at it practically. Do you think that if the only people paying for a school were the ones who had children going there, there would be enough money to run a successful school? I'd think you would have to massively increase how much each family pays and how would they afford it?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
One of the greatest problems facing many public schools is parental apathy. I have no idea how to encourage to get involved with their kids lives. The best teacher in the world cannot teach a kid who doesn't want to learn and if the parents don't value education, the kids wont either. This is one of the two major reasons private schools are perceived as being better than public schools. After all, if you are paying for school odds are good you are going to make sure your kid is working hard.

Public schools are also forced to provide medical services for students that need them. This is wrong. Schools are to educate children, they are not in the business of providing medical services. If your student needs special medical services then the parents should be responsible for providing those services, not the school district. Also, children who cannot be educated in a typical classroom should not be there. Harsh as it sounds, it does nobody any good to force a student into an environment they are equipped to deal with. This is the second reason that private schools are perceived as being better than public schools, private schools do not have to accept every student regardless of abilities and health needs - they can be selective.

I would change the lottery so that it provided money for school infrastructure. School building should be safe for students and fully equipped to educate those students.

I would like to see more accountability for teachers. In general, the teachers my children have had have been pretty good. But there are a couple who really shouldn't be in the classroom and there should be a way to get them out easily when required.

CSAP is a waste of time and money as it is currently implemented. Teachers do need a way to evaluate their students to make sure they are learning what they need to learn but the focus that is put on CSAP does more harm than good.

I would add more teachers and segregate classes more so that slow and advanced learners get the help they need to either succeed or excel, respectively.

I would change the start times at our schools to better fit both the parents work schedules and the studies that show kids learn and retain more when they start later. (Classes in Jefco at my daughters middle school start at 7:25. Just stupid!)

I would like to see stricter discipline return to the schools.

Our public schools have problems that need to be addressed. But America had something that the rest of the world did not have. Something that allowed us to walk on the moon, to develop computers, invent numerous technologies, continuously raise our standard of living - public schools.

:thumb: A lot of good stuff in there but....

"I would change the lottery so that it provided money for school infrastructure. "

why do you hate senior citizens? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.