toldailytopic:Girl with mental illnesses is now the face of the Global Warming hoax

genuineoriginal

Why are the Global Warming Hoaxers putting a girl with mental illness in front of cameras?
She is suffering from anxiety, depression, and Asperger syndrome.

How dare they steal her dreams and childhood with their empty words.

I agree with Andrew Bolt when he says, "I have such contempt for all the adults that made this girl cry with their global warming lies."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Why are the Global Warming Hoaxers putting a girl with mental illness in front of cameras?
She is suffering from anxiety, depression, and Asperger syndrome.

How dare they steal her dreams and childhood with their empty words.

I agree with Andrew Bolt when he says, "I have such contempt for all the adults that made this girl cry with their global warming lies."

I have such contempt for the male rage of the misogynistic right.

As Thunberg approached America, she was followed by a tsunami of male rage. On her first day of sailing, a multi-millionaire Brexit activist tweeted that he wished a freak accident would destroy her boat. A conservative Australian columnist called her a “deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement,” while the British far-right activist David Vance attacked the “sheer petulance of this arrogant child.”

In the U.S., former Trump staffer Steve Milloy recently called Thunberg a “teenage puppet,” and claimed that “the world laughs at this Greta charade,” while a widely shared far-right meme showed Trump tipping The Statue of Liberty to crush her boat. We can expect a surge of similar attacks in the U.S. as she arrives in New York this week.

While these examples might feel like mere coincidence to some, the idea that white men would lead the attacks on Greta Thunberg is consistent with a growing body of research linking gender reactionaries to climate-denialism—some of the research coming from Thunberg’s own country. Researchers at Sweden’s Chalmers University of Technology, which recently launched the world’s first academic research center to study climate denialism, have for years been examining a link between climate deniers and the anti-feminist far-right.

In 2014, Jonas Anshelm and Martin Hultman of Chalmers published a paper analyzing the language of a focus group of climate skeptics. The common themes in the group, they said, were striking: “for climate skeptics … it was not the environment that was threatened, it was a certain kind of modern industrial society built and dominated by their form of masculinity.”

The connection has to do with a sense of group identity under threat, Hultman told me—an identity they perceive to be under threat from all sides. Besieged, as they see it, both by developing gender equality—Hultman pointed specifically to the shock some men felt at the #MeToo movement—and now climate activism’s challenge to their way of life, male reactionaries motivated by right-wing nationalism, anti-feminism, and climate denialism increasingly overlap, the three reactions feeding off of one another.

“There is a package of values and behaviors connected to a form of masculinity that I call ‘industrial breadwinner masculinity.’ They see the world as separated between humans and nature. They believe humans are obliged to use nature and its resources to make products out of them. And they have a risk perception that nature will tolerate all types of waste. It’s a risk perception that doesn’t think of nature as vulnerable and as something that is possible to be destroyed. For them, economic growth is more important than the environment” Hultman told Deutsche Welle last year.

The corollary to this is that climate science, for skeptics, becomes feminized—or viewed as “oppositional to assumed entitlements of masculine primacy,” Hultman and fellow researcher Paul Pulé wrote in another paper. These findings align with similar ones in the United States, where there is a massive gender gap in views on climate change, and many men perceive climate activism as inherently feminine, according to research published in 2017...

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm going to let Greta speak for herself:

Recently I’ve seen many rumors circulating about me and enormous amounts of hate. This is no surprise to me. I know that since most people are not aware of the full meaning of the climate crisis (which is understandable since it has never been treated as a crisis) a school strike for the climate would seem very strange to people in general.
So let me make some things clear about my school strike.

In may 2018 I was one of the winners in a writing competition about the environment held by Svenska Dagbladet, a Swedish newspaper. I got my article published and some people contacted me, among others was Bo Thorén from Fossil Free Dalsland. He had some kind of group with people, especially youth, who wanted to do something about the climate crisis.
I had a few phone meetings with other activists. The purpose was to come up with ideas of new projects that would bring attention to the climate crisis. Bo had a few ideas of things we could do. Everything from marches to a loose idea of some kind of a school strike (that school children would do something on the schoolyards or in the classrooms). That idea was inspired by the Parkland Students, who had refused to go to school after the school shootings.

I liked the idea of a school strike. So I developed that idea and tried to get the other young people to join me, but no one was really interested. They thought that a Swedish version of the Zero Hour march was going to have a bigger impact. So I went on planning the school strike all by myself and after that I didn’t participate in any more meetings.
When I told my parents about my plans they weren’t very fond of it. They did not support the idea of school striking and they said that if I were to do this I would have to do it completely by myself and with no support from them.
On the 20 of august I sat down outside the Swedish Parliament. I handed out fliers with a long list of facts about the climate crisis and explanations on why I was striking. The first thing I did was to post on Twitter and Instagram what I was doing and it soon went viral. Then journalists and newspapers started to come. A Swedish entrepreneur and business man active in the climate movement, Ingmar Rentzhog, was among the first to arrive. He spoke with me and took pictures that he posted on Facebook. That was the first time I had ever met or spoken with him. I had not communicated or encountered with him ever before.

Many people love to spread rumors saying that I have people ”behind me” or that I’m being ”paid” or ”used” to do what I’m doing. But there is no one ”behind” me except for myself. My parents were as far from climate activists as possible before I made them aware of the situation.
I am not part of any organization. I sometimes support and cooperate with several NGOs that work with the climate and environment. But I am absolutely independent and I only represent myself. And I do what I do completely for free, I have not received any money or any promise of future payments in any form at all. And nor has anyone linked to me or my family done so.
And of course it will stay this way. I have not met one single climate activist who is fighting for the climate for money. That idea is completely absurd.
Furthermore I only travel with permission from my school and my parents pay for tickets and accommodations.

My family has written a book together about our family and how me and my sister Beata have influenced my parents way of thinking and seeing the world, especially when it comes to the climate. And about our diagnoses.

That book was due to be released in May. But since there was a major disagreement with the book company, we ended up changing to a new publisher and so the book was released in august instead.
Before the book was released my parents made it clear that their possible profits from the book ”Scener ur hjärtat” will be going to 8 different charities working with environment, children with diagnoses and animal rights.

And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.

Some people mock me for my diagnosis. But Asperger is not a disease, it’s a gift. People also say that since I have Asperger I couldn’t possibly have put myself in this position. But that’s exactly why I did this. Because if I would have been ”normal” and social I would have organized myself in an organisation, or started an organisation by myself. But since I am not that good at socializing I did this instead. I was so frustrated that nothing was being done about the climate crisis and I felt like I had to do something, anything. And sometimes NOT doing things - like just sitting down outside the parliament - speaks much louder than doing things. Just like a whisper sometimes is louder than shouting.
Also there is one complaint that I ”sound and write like an adult”. And to that I can only say; don’t you think that a 16-year old can speak for herself? There’s also some people who say that I oversimplify things. For example when I say that "the climate crisis is a black and white issue”, ”we need to stop the emissions of greenhouse gases” and ”I want you to panic”. But that I only say because it’s true. Yes, the climate crisis is the most complex issue that we have ever faced and it’s going to take everything from our part to ”stop it”. But the solution is black and white; we need to stop the emissions of greenhouse gases.

Because either we limit the warming to 1,5 degrees C over pre industrial levels, or we don’t. Either we reach a tipping point where we start a chain reaction with events way beyond human control, or we don’t. Either we go on as a civilization, or we don’t. There are no gray areas when it comes to survival.
And when I say that I want you to panic I mean that we need to treat the crisis as a crisis. When your house is on fire you don’t sit down and talk about how nice you can rebuild it once you put out the fire. If your house is on fire you run outside and make sure that everyone is out while you call the fire department. That requires some level of panic.

There is one other argument that I can’t do anything about. And that is the fact that I’m ”just a child and we shouldn’t be listening to children.” But that is easily fixed - just start to listen to the rock solid science instead. Because if everyone listened to the scientists and the facts that I constantly refer to - then no one would have to listen to me or any of the other hundreds of thousands of school children on strike for the climate across the world. Then we could all go back to school.

I am just a messenger, and yet I get all this hate. I am not saying anything new, I am just saying what scientists have repeatedly said for decades. And I agree with you, I’m too young to do this. We children shouldn’t have to do this. But since almost no one is doing anything, and our very future is at risk, we feel like we have to continue.

And if you have any other concern or doubt about me, then you can listen to my TED talk ( https://www.ted.com/…/greta_thunberg_the_disarming_…/up-next ), in which I talk about how my interest for the climate and environment began.

And thank you everyone for you kind support! It brings me hope.
/Greta
Ps I was briefly a youth advisor for the board of the non profit foundation “We don’t have time”. It turns out they used my name as part of another branch of their organisation that is a start up business. They have admitted clearly that they did so without the knowledge of me or my family. I no longer have any connection to “We don’t have time”. Nor has anyone in my family. They have deeply apologised and I have accepted their apology.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Hilarious. :rotfl:

the idea that white men would lead the attacks on Greta Thunberg is consistent with a growing body of research linking gender reactionaries to climate-denialism—some of the research coming from Thunberg’s own country. Researchers at Sweden’s Chalmers University of Technology, which recently launched the world’s first academic research center to study climate denialism, have for years been examining a link between climate deniers and the anti-feminist far-right.

genuineoriginal

the idea that white men would lead the attacks on Greta Thunberg is consistent with a growing body of research linking gender reactionaries to climate-denialism—some of the research coming from Thunberg’s own country. Researchers at Sweden’s Chalmers University of Technology, which recently launched the world’s first academic research center to study climate denialism, have for years been examining a link between climate deniers and the anti-feminist far-right.
Your point appears to be that the sensible people who don't believe in Global Warming are often also opposed to the delusions of third wave feminism and leftism.

genuineoriginal

In may 2018 I was one of the winners in a writing competition about the environment held by Svenska Dagbladet, a Swedish newspaper.
/Greta
She was taught about Global Warming before she wrote the article and has no idea how much of it is actually a Hoax based on falsifying data.

I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.
/Greta
She gets her "talking points" from scientists who are either part of the Hoax or are ignorant of the falsified data that is used to pull off the Hoax.
Of course, she is too young to know what the scientists said about Global Warming over a century ago, when they were smart enough to see it as a good thing:
Image0509242019-2.png

Yes, the climate crisis is the most complex issue that we have ever faced and it’s going to take everything from our part to ”stop it”. But the solution is black and white; we need to stop the emissions of greenhouse gases.
/Greta
The "need to stop the emissions of greenhouse gases" is often repeated as if it were true, but the only "greenhouse gas" that is mentioned is CO2, which contributes absolutely nothing to the greenhouse effect. Water vapor is the largest contributor to any greenhouse effect, and the limited frequencies that CO2 operates on falls within the frequencies that water vapor operates on, so the actual effect of CO2 on the greenhouse effect is zero.

Because either we limit the warming to 1,5 degrees C over pre industrial levels, or we don’t. Either we reach a tipping point where we start a chain reaction with events way beyond human control, or we don’t. Either we go on as a civilization, or we don’t. There are no gray areas when it comes to survival.
/Greta
The earth has gone through warming periods of much more than 1.5 degrees Celsius, and has never entered into the runaway warming that is the scare tactic of the Global Warming Hoax. In each of the recorded instances of these warm periods, the warming preceded a rise in CO2 by decades and even centuries. The cooling period began decades and even centuries before any fall in CO2. Curbing CO2 levels will do nothing for Global Warming because it is not the cause of Global Warming.

I am not saying anything new, I am just saying what scientists have repeatedly said for decades. And I agree with you, I’m too young to do this.
/Greta
Yes, Greta is too young to do this. She lacks the experience of the older generations that have lived through the heat waves of the 1930s, 1970s, 1980s, etc. We do not have thousands of people dying because of the current temperatures. The current "warmest years on record" are not the warmest years. If they were, we would be having a larger percent of days above 90 degrees Fahrenheit than they had in the 1940s and 1950s.
Arkansas-September-Percent-Of-Days-Above-900F-Vs-Year-1895-2018-At-All-AR-USHCN-Stations-Red-Line-Is-5-Year-Mean-Percent-Of-Days-Above-900F-vs-Year-1024x952.png

genuineoriginal

I'm not too familiar with Asperger syndrome. Are people with Asperger's incapable of rational thought?

Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger's, is a developmental disorder characterised by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.

Her Asperger's does not normally prevent her from thinking rationally unless it leads her into a restricted and repetitive pattern of behavior and interests.

Her Asperger's has led her to develop a form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).
She has an obsession with the lies about Global Warming and has a compulsion to act to stop Global Warming that is causing her to do a number of irrational things.

Even if she learned the truth that Global Warming is a Hoax, she probably couldn't stop herself from obsessing about it.
(Some people keep washing their hands because of OCD. Even when they rationally know that their hands are clean, they still can't stop their behavior.)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm not too familiar with Asperger syndrome. Are people with Asperger's incapable of rational thought?

Quite the contrary. Along with high intelligence, a common aspect of Asperger's is the ability (I use that word with reservation because there's a lot of nuance to it) to be highly focused on a particular idea or interest. This is a highly simplified explanation, of course, but it's no surprise to me to hear she has it. Many people with Asperger's consider themselves to be differently ordered, not disordered, so there's a lot of societal impact, both on people living or interacting with them, and on them in their interactions with others.

There's a reason she's called a "girl with mental illnesses," and it's an attempt by neurotypical right-wingers to ostracize her.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
She was taught about Global Warming before she wrote the article and has no idea how much of it is actually a Hoax based on falsifying data.

The point of your OP is that some nefarious climate change people are abusing her. I think her own words should remove that concern. She's doing what she wants to do.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
She has an obsession with the lies about Global Warming and has a compulsion to act to stop Global Warming that is causing her to do a number of irrational things.

Even if she learned the truth that Global Warming is a Hoax, she probably couldn't stop herself from obsessing about it.

You seem certain that global warming claims are a hoax. Are you a climate scientist?

genuineoriginal

a common aspect of Asperger's is the ability (I use that word with reservation because there's a lot of nuance to it) to be highly focused on a particular idea or interest.
Yep! Her inability to change from being highly focused on the idea of the Global Warming Hoax has caused her to become OCD about it.

There's a reason she's called a "girl with mental illnesses,"
The reason is because her disorders are classified as mental illnesses, so don't mock her.

The Struggles Of Depression And Anxiety

Hi to all. For the longest time I’ve battled with social anxiety and depression. I’ve felt like an outsider; like a weirdo.

The fact of the matter is that I haven’t suffered in silence. My family knows. They just think it’s ‘all in my head’ and it is. That’s why it’s called mental illness. They don’t understand that you’re not mentally strong enough to overcome these things. They don’t understand that it’s not a switch you can just turn on and off.

genuineoriginal

The point of your OP is that some nefarious climate change people are abusing her. I think her own words should remove that concern. She's doing what she wants to do.
Those nefarious Global Warming Hoaxers allowed her to be put on public display in order to promote their Hoax.
That is abuse, despite her mental illnesses causing her to OCD about it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yep! Her inability to change from being highly focused on the idea of the Global Warming Hoax has caused her to become OCD about it.

She doesn't necessarily have to have OCD. Are you privy to her medical record?

The reason is because her disorders are classified as mental illnesses, so don't mock her.

The Struggles Of Depression And Anxiety

Hi to all. For the longest time I’ve battled with social anxiety and depression. I’ve felt like an outsider; like a weirdo.

The fact of the matter is that I haven’t suffered in silence. My family knows. They just think it’s ‘all in my head’ and it is. That’s why it’s called mental illness. They don’t understand that you’re not mentally strong enough to overcome these things. They don’t understand that it’s not a switch you can just turn on and off.

You dishonestly shortened your quote of my words. You're the one who called her out as the "girl with mental illnesses." Why her? Why not (hypothetically) your daughter, your sister, your neighbor, your friend, your coworker? If any of them had one of these disorders, would you make that their defining characteristic?

Why do you define her this way? Because she's audacious enough to bring attention to something you don't believe in and this is how you try to knock her down. Put her in her place.