toldailytopic: Forced abortion in the United States? How do you feel about this case?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 1st, 2012 10:16 AM

toldailytopic: Forced abortion in the United States? How do you feel about this case?

Court May Force Mentally Disabled Nevada Woman to Have Abortion

With obvious public outcries against forced abortions in China and forced sterilizations of mentally handicapped individuals in Nazi Germany, one might assume the United States knows better.

However, today, in Nevada, the life of an 11-week-old unborn baby and the future of his or her 32-year-old mother hang in the balance as a judge considers whether or not to order the woman to undergo an abortion and sterilization against her will.

Elisa Bauer, who suffers from severe mental and physical disabilities attributed to fetal alcohol syndrome, is currently in the final weeks of her first trimester. The second-oldest of six children adopted by William and Amy Bauer in 1992, Elisa has epilepsy and is said to have the mental and social capacity of a 6-year-old.

The circumstances surrounding her pregnancy are unknown. Her family suspects she may have been raped, but it’s possible the sexual encounter that led to her pregnancy was consensual. On several occasions, Elisa has left her group home for hours or days at a time to engage in sexual activity with men at a local truck stop.

Legal guardianship

Since turning 18 in 1998, she has continued to remain under court-approved guardianship of her parents, who were given legal authority to make final decisions regarding her health and welfare, even as she lived in a group home.

While Elisa has maintained that she wants to carry out her pregnancy, she knows she will be unable to care for the child. The Bauers support her decision, are following all the prenatal protocol for high-risk pregnancies, and have already lined up six qualified couples who are eager to adopt Elisa’s child once he or she is born.

However, when Washoe County Social Services became aware of Elisa’s pregnancy, the department issued an informal report requesting that the Court set a status hearing to address the potential health effects Elisa’s pregnancy could have on her and her unborn child, and possibly override the mutual decision made between Elisa and her parents to have her baby.

Jason Guinsasso, the attorney for the Bauers, says that the court has no jurisdiction to intervene in any health-related decisions regarding Elisa — pregnancy included — because Elisa’s parents are the legal guardians. He adds that Washoe County Social Services Department must submit a formal petition based on substantial grounds to usurp guardianship before the County Court can get involved.

“There are no statutes that give this Court or Washoe County the authority to compel Elisa to have an abortion. Such decisions are left to the sound discretion of the duly appointed guardian(s)… To date, Washoe County has utterly failed to provide clear and convincing evidence that Mr. and Mrs. Bauer’s decision to support Elisa’s efforts to carry her child to term is unlawful or that they are not acting in a manner consistent with the best interests of Elisa’s health and welfare.”

Medical insight

The Bauers have also consulted a number of doctors in an effort to provide the best care to their daughter and obtain expert opinion that debunks the notion that abortion and sterilization are the appropriate and only measures recommended in Elisa’s case.

Dr. Michael Czerkes, an OB/GYN at St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center in Lewiston, Maine reviewed all the medical facts and concluded that abortion was neither necessary nor prudent.

- SOURCE

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The parents want to keep the baby. The mother indicates she wants to keep the baby. Yet the government wants to step in and abort the baby.

Hey liberals.... I thought you wanted to stay out of women's reproductive decisions????

This is the world we are creating folks. It's all downhill from here.

Junius Gallio

The parents want to keep the baby. The mother indicates she wants to keep the baby. Yet the government wants to step in and abort the baby.

As I told Nick, I'm not at all certain that this is actually occurring, or if it's a manufactured "news story." I'm trying to find out, but it's not looking good--there is no case before the courts of that county, and the name "Jason Guinsasso" does not appear in any legal directory for Nevada (it ay be a mis-spelling of "Jason Guinasso," but Mr. Guinasso works in labor law, not family law).

The more I research, the more I feel this may be a fake news story attempting to generate a lot of smoke where there is no actual fire.

WizardofOz

- Elisa wants to carry out her pregnancy
- Her parents/court-approved guardians support her decision
- six qualified couples are eager to adopt Elisa’s child once he or she is born
- the court has no jurisdiction to intervene in any health-related decisions regarding Elisa — pregnancy included — because Elisa’s parents are the legal guardians
- Dr. Michael Czerkes, an OB/GYN at St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center in Lewiston, Maine reviewed all the medical facts and concluded that abortion was neither necessary nor prudent.

There will be no court-ordered abortion

I am a bit skeptical as well. No one is running this unless they're linking back to lifenews.com

Where are the court docs as evidence?

Granite

Hall of Fame
All I'm seeing out there is the same story recycled, which seems a little odd.

Assuming this is legit I'd oppose a mandatory abortion.

drbrumley

This was posted about an hour ago

The first of two evidentiary hearings for the judge to hear expert testimony in regards to health concerns for Elisa and the baby will be today. Also today a petition will be filed to the Supreme Court of Nevada.

Junius Gallio

The first of two evidentiary hearings for the judge to hear expert testimony in regards to health concerns for Elisa and the baby will be today. Also today a petition will be filed to the Supreme Court of Nevada.

What judge? What court? The lawyer's name has already been established as either incorrect or false (the closest variant of that name works in labor law, not family law, in Reno). Where are the filings?

Don't get me wrong--if this is actually happening, it's horrible. But from everything I've seen, it's not actually happening--it looks very much like someone is playing a very cruel hoax.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Hey liberals.... I thought you wanted to stay out of women's reproductive decisions????

This is the world we are creating folks. It's all downhill from here.

There is no legitimate reason to abort a child. None. Abortion has gotten this world to the terrible place where it is forced on vulnerable adults. Even if the baby is 'handicapped' that still does not justify aborting him. The world has turned into a brutal society that murders its most helpless citizens. There are a few words to describe that, one of them is 'Atrocity'.

drbrumley

What judge? What court? The lawyer's name has already been established as either incorrect or false (the closest variant of that name works in labor law, not family law, in Reno). Where are the filings?

Don't get me wrong--if this is actually happening, it's horrible. But from everything I've seen, it's not actually happening--it looks very much like someone is playing a very cruel hoax.

Im agreeing with ya. I just posted what was on the Facebook page. I provided a link

fool

Hall of Fame
issued an informal report requesting that the Court set a status hearing .
Does not equal;
hang in the balance as a judge considers whether or not to order the woman to undergo an abortion and sterilization against her will.

If anything they are perhaps just a little bit interested in why;
Elisa has left her group home for hours or days at a time to engage in sexual activity with men at a local truck stop.
And if they at least bought her dinner first.

Looks like a stretch.

Junius Gallio

Im agreeing with ya. I just posted what was on the Facebook page. I provided a link
Saw the link and the later post where you agreed that it sounded fishy.

If my suspicions are correct ... this kind of crap pisses me off. The very people who are supposed to be defending life besmirching the cause they presume to be fighting for by either repeating lies, or themselves making up lies.

Layla

This doesn't look like it's true, but if it is how is the issue here not the girl with a mental age of 6 being allowed to have "consentual" sex by her parents and/or group home? No-one else (besides fool) read that and went "WTF????"

Junius Gallio

This doesn't look like it's true, but if it is how is the issue here not the girl with a mental age of 6 being allowed to have "consentual" sex by her parents and/or group home? No-one else (besides fool) read that and went "WTF????"
No, I noted it, but did not specifically comment. There is no such thing as consensual sex with a person of that mental age.