toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mas

Tolken

It shouldn't be changed just to satisfy the NCAA's goal of political correctness.

It should depend on the Sioux Indians. Obviously you can't please everyone but if the majority want it changed then the school should comply. If not, leave it alone. Based on the article it seems the tribe is mixed.

And the article seems to say that the NCAA rules allow for exceptions if the tribe gives approval.

I would tend to agree that it should be left for the Sioux to decide. It isn't a matter of political correctness but perhaps of respect due them ... especially considering the America's past policy of genocide towards the American Indian.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In the 1960s, some college in the Upper Midwest were known as "The Fighting Indians." I only remember this because a group of Ojibwes formed an intramural basketball team there, and called themselves "The Fighting Norwegians."

The Berean

Obviously, another racist team logo.

CentralFloridaLogo.png

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It should depend on the Sioux Indians.
I would tend to agree that it should be left for the Sioux to decide.
Why?

Since when does one group of people have the right to determine what another group of people can or cannot say?

If I want to start a basketball team and call my team the "Angry Midgets" I should have that right, regardless of how it might offend short people. Short folks would have the right to not attend my games, or buy my products. Therefore my choice of mascot might be a poor marketing decision. But we should let the free market decide that, not the courts.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Why?

Since when does one group of people have the right to determine what another group of people can or cannot say?

If I want to start a basketball team and call my team the "Angry Midgets" I should have that right, regardless of how it might offend short people. Short folks would have the right to not attend my games, or buy my products. Therefore my choice of mascot might be a poor marketing decision. But we should let the free market decide that, not the courts.

I completely agree (You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2012 10:36 AM

toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mascot?

To try and get a university to change it mascot because you don't like it? C'mon now. The whole flap over the mascot is just so gay.:flamer: If they want to be the Fighting Sioux let them. There are a lot of things in the Dakotas name after the Sioux why not a University mascot?

rexlunae

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2012 10:36 AM

toldailytopic: Fighting Sioux: Should the University of North Dakota change their mascot?

fighting_sioux_hed.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Hey! We're talking about my alma mater! In fact, I was just talking about this with one of the members of our women's hockey team last night.

In short, I think that we should change it, mostly because it has become a distraction far beyond it's worth. And I say that as an owner of official Fighting Sioux apparel, a believer in the overwhelmingly noble intent of the university's use of name, and a fan of Fighting Sioux hockey.

This has literally been a perennial issue for as long as I have been alive. We have hired and fired (or forced out, perhaps) presidents of the University over the issue, and now it is literally distorting our state political process. And the NCAA has basically given us no choice, if we don't want to hurt severely the very athletic programs that use the name.

It's time to put the issue to bed forever.

rexlunae

To try and get a university to change it mascot because you don't like it? C'mon now. The whole flap over the mascot is just so gay.:flamer: If they want to be the Fighting Sioux let them. There are a lot of things in the Dakotas name after the Sioux why not a University mascot?

The real controversy is when you dress up (largely) white kids and start calling them "Fighting" Sioux. That's considered, by some, to be a negative connotation.

That said, it is absolutely true that the real Sioux overwhelmingly support the nickname, because it really is generally used in a positive way.

bybee

The real controversy is when you dress up (largely) white kids and start calling them "Fighting" Sioux. That's considered, by some, to be a negative connotation.

That said, it is absolutely true that the real Sioux overwhelmingly support the nickname, because it really is generally used in a positive way.

I suppose to be politically correct you might say "Several people who play a game"?
After all the word "fighting" is quite harsh. It might offend the pacifists.
And one cannot mention gender, that will set the feminists off.

Tolken

Since when does one group of people have the right to determine what another group of people can or cannot say? If I want to start a basketball team and call my team the "Angry Midgets" I should have that right, regardless of how it might offend short people.

That is true, the first amendment allows for ignorance. Can you imagine the mascots that non-theists could come up with for their teams? Nothing wrong with respect especially from so called Christians...I still believe the support or lack thereof would best be offered them. The Indians certainly did not receive much resprct from us in the past!

Granite

Hall of Fame
Obviously, another racist team logo.

CentralFloridaLogo.png

Not to pick hairs, but, no, it's not obvious at all. In fact there's absolutely nothing racial about this mascot.

Just sayin'.

P.S. It's worth remembering that exercising a right isn't always the right thing to do.

rexlunae

I suppose to be politically correct you might say "Several people who play a game"?
After all the word "fighting" is quite harsh. It might offend the pacifists.
And one cannot mention gender, that will set the feminists off.

It's a racial stereotype, which harkens back to the actual origin of the nickname.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Not to pick hairs, but, no, it's not obvious at all. In fact there's absolutely nothing racial about this mascot.

Just sayin'.

P.S. It's worth remembering that exercising a right isn't always the right thing to do.

I think TB was just kidding because of Knight. :chuckle:

I agree with our PS.