toldailytopic: Earthquakes in Haiti and Chili: God's judgement, global warming, or ju

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Your missing the point - God's light shines because there is darkness to contrast it. When we act because of God in terrible situations, we glorify Him. This is the way it is now, but you are right to say it will not always be this way.
This is better. It at least does not imply God approves of evil and I find I'm in agreement here...
God allowed for the serpent in the garden, like it or not.
...but then you say this and I wonder if the implication that God approves of, and is even responsible for, evil was intentional all along. I can't think of any other reason for the wording of your posts so far. :nono:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm going with option C. Though I did just read a pretty amazing paper on a potential link between massive low pressure weather systems (i.e. hurricanes) and the facilitation of earthquakes.... So maybe C, with possibly a little bit of A sprinkled on top

Because they pull groundwater toward the surface?

gsweet

Because they pull groundwater toward the surface?

No one really knows at this point, as it's just a theory (and a very broad one at that). The author was stating that massive low pressure systems change the downward force experienced by the tectonic plates from the overlying atmosphere. At plate boundaries (particularly subduction zones), this facilitates plate movement if the low pressure system is positioned over the overriding plate. It really only seems valid if there is a significant amount of pressure already build up at the subduction zone via a "catch" on the downgoing slab. Seems like a pretty cool (albeit far-fetched, for the time being) theory...

By the way, did you feel the latest quake in your area?

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Natural disasters can happen any time anywhere and kill large numbers of people of whatever religion. What about the horrific tsunami that killed so many people in Indonesia and other southern islands back in 2005? Some of these people were Christian ,Muslim or whatever.
And what would evangelical Chritians say if a massive earthquake hit say, Dallas, where there are so many conservative Christians who are supposedly safe from eternal damnation because they believe on Jesus? Something like this certainly COULD happen there, or some other kind of natural disaster.
Why would God target a place with so many supposedly godly, Christian people?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No one really knows at this point, as it's just a theory (and a very broad one at that).
Don't tell the evolutionists. :chuckle:

It is well known that adding water to the environment encourages seismicity. I'd guess my explanation might be aligned with the water factor if I've gotten the physics right. :noid:
The author was stating that massive low pressure systems change the downward force experienced by the tectonic plates from the overlying atmosphere. At plate boundaries (particularly subduction zones), this facilitates plate movement if the low pressure system is positioned over the overriding plate. It really only seems valid if there is a significant amount of pressure already build up at the subduction zone via a "catch" on the downgoing slab. Seems like a pretty cool (albeit far-fetched, for the time being) theory...

Tectonic plates destroy good thinking. Geologists need to forget the theory and just look at the data. I believe simple explanations are being missed because scientists feel more comfortable when they have a theory to hold onto.

By the way, did you feel the latest quake in your area?
I was on my motorcycle at the time. Didn't notice anything. The signal poles always swing around like that. :D

Cracked

...but then you say this and I wonder if the implication that God approves of, and is even responsible for, evil was intentional all along. I can't think of any other reason for the wording of your posts so far. :nono:

First, I don't think God approves of evil insofar as He expects us to resist it for His glory and for our love for Him and His love for us, and for our love for others. We are not to do evil, or teach it. However, evil, that is contradicting God, became necessary when free will was introduced. We are to test every spirit, because not every spirit is good. God, then, out of His love for us, has allowed for us to turn against Him (evil), and in that way it is part of His plan.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...f you're living on moving plates, or in areas where storms are huge, be prepared to be shaken up at times."
I hope California residents remember this when the big one comes--if the big one comes. They've been warned for years. If they wish to continue living on a fault line, fine. But when an earthquakes comes don't blame God.

God makes good things (like a good world to live in [Ge 1:31]). It's man that messes it all up. There were no earthquakes before the fall of man.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So if we're going to go punny shouldn't we get Knight to rename this thread, "Does God Haiti Chile"?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
First, I don't think God approves of evil insofar as He expects us to resist it for His glory and for our love for Him and His love for us, and for our love for others. We are not to do evil, or teach it. However, evil, that is contradicting God, became necessary when free will was introduced. We are to test every spirit, because not every spirit is good. God, then, out of His love for us, has allowed for us to turn against Him (evil), and in that way it is part of His plan.

This I agree with. Many thanks for clarifying.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Things happen in this world whose meaning not even Pat Robertson can lay claim to "insider information!"

We are all temporary visitors in this world and whether Haiti, Chile or any other natural disaster is a deliberate act of God to punish a select group is beyond our understanding.

Unfortunately speculating based on ignorance, as in the case of Robertson, reinforces the perception that Christians are just a bunch of self-righteous hypocrites.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I'm sure the FSM had his reasons for reaching out with his noodly appendage and giving those places a shake. Maybe he was drinking again.

That being said, there were just random natural disasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.