toldailytopic: Earthquakes in Haiti and Chili: God's judgement, global warming, or ju

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 4th, 2010 11:00 AM

toldailytopic: Earthquakes in Haiti and Chili: God's judgement, global warming, or just random geologic events?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The earth is probably still settling after the flood. So, in a way it is judgement, but not the kind Pat Robertson is talking about. He doesn't know how to rightly divide.

andyc

Random events.
Jesus explained how that a fool builds his house upon the sand, and so if you're living on moving plates, or in areas where storms are huge, be prepared to be shaken up at times.
We're living in the time of grace where God is not judging nations. God's anger has been appeased until the day set when the angels will use the earth as target practice.

Cracked

There can be no light without dark.
The reality of the world constantly reminds us of this.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
There can be no light without dark.
I hate this saying. :mmph:

Neither requires the other, nor can they have anything to do with one another. One, in fact, utterly obliterates the other.

That's a ridiculous saying that intends only to undermine good and elevate evil. Else you could explain how "there can be no darkness without light" makes any sense at all.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

1 John 1:5
This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.

Isaiah 5:20
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

These things happen because the world is corrupt. The world is corrupt because sin has entered into it. Sin entered into it because men were created with free will and chose it. Men were created with free will so that they might come to God by choice rather than force.

That ridiculous saying stops right there and tries to imply God created evil intentionally, values it, accepts it and see it as a good thing in the end. It pointedly ignores the logical conclusion. Man sinning by choice, rather than coming to God by choice, utterly jumps track off God's will. He gave man the option of doing evil but that was never His intention, He doesn't accept it and He firmly denounces it in the strongest possible terms.

And in the end He'll destroy it and cast all guilty of it into hell. Which is exactly what they've freely chosen and this saying implies is good. :hammer:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
If I talk to my cousin (one of many) he would go on about the end of times. I disagree, that is, we cannot determine the mind of God when we have no source on end times. I do not think it is God's plan for humans to initiate God's plan, not through any human act. Therefore not caused by global warming induced by humans. I think these are natural events; God may be changing things according to His good will. While as human, I feel bad about these events, I do not think we can do much but what is in our own power.

Let's not forget Taiwan...

I wish I were a clavinist... :hammer:

Wouldn't it be so much more comforting to believe that God foreknew and predestined all these quakes for His own good pleasure? :ha:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't think I've ever seen someone use climate change or global warming to explain geologic events. I don't think it's God's judgment. So I'll answer C.

Cracked

I hate this saying. :mmph:

Neither requires the other, nor can they have anything to do with one another. One, in fact, utterly obliterates the other.

That's a ridiculous saying that intends only to undermine good and elevate evil. Else you could explain how "there can be no darkness without light" makes any sense at all.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

1 John 1:5
This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.

Isaiah 5:20
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

These things happen because the world is corrupt. The world is corrupt because sin has entered into it. Sin entered into it because men were created with free will and chose it. Men were created with free will so that they might come to God by choice rather than force.

That ridiculous saying stops right there and tries to imply God created evil intentionally, values it, accepts it and see it as a good thing in the end. It pointedly ignores the logical conclusion. Man sinning by choice, rather than coming to God by choice, utterly jumps track off God's will. He gave man the option of doing evil but that was never His intention, He doesn't accept it and He firmly denounces it in the strongest possible terms.

And in the end He'll destroy it and cast all guilty of it into hell. Which is exactly what they've freely chosen and this saying implies is good. :hammer:

Your missing the point - God's light shines because there is darkness to contrast it. When we act because of God in terrible situations, we glorify Him. This is the way it is now, but you are right to say it will not always be this way.

God allowed for the serpent in the garden, like it or not.

I don't think I've ever seen someone use climate change or global warming to explain geologic events. I don't think it's God's judgment. So I'll answer C.
In truth, the earthquakes are the result of Global Bulging caused by humans and Dunkin' Donuts which produce excess pressure on the planet.

We must start a campaign to force people to sweat off those extra pounds by taking steps to warm up the globe. We also need a calorie tax immediately!

gsweet

I'm going with option C. Though I did just read a pretty amazing paper on a potential link between massive low pressure weather systems (i.e. hurricanes) and the facilitation of earthquakes.... So maybe C, with possibly a little bit of A sprinkled on top

Doug Wright

Let's not forget Taiwan...

I wish I were a clavinist... :hammer:

Wouldn't it be so much more comforting to believe that God foreknew and predestined all these quakes for His own good pleasure? :ha:
Beats guilt mongering after every fall...

I've been Armi and I've been Calvi; Calvin's better.

WizardofOz

toldailytopic: Earthquakes in Haiti and Chili: God's judgement, global warming, or just random geologic events?

Was it God's judgment, or was he judging in 1960?

Status
Not open for further replies.