toldailytopic: Does it matter what day of the week you go to church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 15th, 2011 10:21 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
If you arechristian you don't go to church, you are part of church.

I basically agree with Manc.
The 'church' are 'the called out' from this world into a relationship with the living GOD through His Son, Jesus.

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them

It's good though, for believers to maintain the tradition of meeting early on the first day of the week to remember and celebrate the resurrection, which took place on the first day of the week.
Acts 2:1, which was the first assembly of believers, also took place on the first day of the week. There are other instances in Acts and in Paul's writings where believers met on the first day.

Any time is a good time for believers to gather in the name of Jesus and many times the small spontaneous gatherings are the most meaningful.

elohiym

Does it matter what day of the week you go to church?

No.

But if you mean, "Should Christians keep the Sabbath?" The answer is "yes."

I refuted many of Bob Enyart's arguments against Christians keeping the Sabbath here.

If a skilled debater wants to debate this one-on-one, I am open to the idea. Let's talk if you are.

Bob?

zoo22

No, I don't think so. But I think the community, tradition, unity of Sunday services is good.

elohiym

... unity of Sunday services is good.

Tens of millions of Christians keep the Sabbath and reject the Sunday services because they imply rejection or unscriptural change of the Sabbath. What of unity? There is no real unity in Christianity, only unity in God's remnant, because they are the only one who actually believe and live the gospel. The majority of Christians do not believe the gospel. This is not only self-evident, but explicitly stated by Jesus (Mat 7:23)--those who call Christ "Lord, Lord" can only be Christians he's rejecting for their Sabbath breaking specifically.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No--not really.

My personal preference is to give the first day of the week to the LORD to worship Him. That gets my week off to a good start.

How my week is set up--Sunday is a day of corporate worship when I go to church. Saturday is my personal day with God. It is a day to relax. I do things on that day that I enjoy--things that center around God. The other five days I work around the house and do other daily grind stuff that is not so fun.

Krsto

I wished more churches met on Friday nights. Taking the kids to church on a Friday night is a good way to keep them from getting into trouble. Saturday night youth group would help too. Where I grew up on the wet side of Washington sunny weekend mornings were a real treat and better spent on a boat than in a building.

Krsto

No.

I refuted many of Bob Enyart's arguments against Christians keeping the Sabbath here.

If a skilled debater wants to debate this one-on-one, I am open to the idea. Let's talk if you are.

Bob?

If you mean Christians are required by Law to keep the Sabbath I'd be interested in discussing that with you. Why don't you start another thread.

phos.neos

I like Sundays, as a rule. Bit Romans 14:5-6 applies here.

One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind. Whoever observes the day, observes it to the Lord.

elohiym

If you mean Christians are required by Law to keep the Sabbath I'd be interested in discussing that with you. Why don't you start another thread.

I don't believe they are required by law, but that they keep the Sabbath by nature and witness. In other words, I believe it is impossible for someone who believes the gospel to break the Sabbath even if they don't know what day of the week it is.

I'll consider starting a thread on that, and you are welcome to participate.

Buzzword

No.
Especially if your week is organized differently than "church people."

Prime example: cops.
I.E., my in-laws.
My wife grew up with mom and dad (and uncle, grandpa, cousins....) sacked out on Sunday morning from being out on patrol until 6 AM.

"Sunday" is just an arbitrary name, just like the 7-day "week" is arbitrary.

Nothing in nature shows time divided into anything but 24-hour rotations of the planet, and 365 1/4-day revolutions around the Sun.

Worship as and when God leads.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I think God just wants you to take a day off or something, I don't think the Bible specifies which day. But I'm an atheist, what do I know.

Oddly enough I don't really take days off.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You should go on the first day of the week before you spend all your money on other things.
What if you get paid on Tuesday? Should you then go to church on Tuesday right after you get paid, so you don't spend your money on other things?

Krsto

I don't believe they are required by law, but that they keep the Sabbath by nature and witness. In other words, I believe it is impossible for someone who believes the gospel to break the Sabbath even if they don't know what day of the week it is.

I'll consider starting a thread on that, and you are welcome to participate.

But I agree with you so that would be kinda boring :)

genuineoriginal

toldailytopic: Does it matter what day of the week you go to church.

The question implies that the sum of Christian life is: meeting one day a week to sit in hard pews, listen to a choir, sing a couple of hymns, and be an audience for a professional speaker who will try to convince you to put money in the hat (or plate) that is being passed around.

If that is what church is, then it doesn't matter what day you do it or if you do it at all, because it is a meaningless exercise in futility.

It is much easier to find the presence of God when you join a prison ministery than when you join a church ministry.

keypurr

I basically agree with Manc.
The 'church' are 'the called out' from this world into a relationship with the living GOD through His Son, Jesus.

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them

It's good though, for believers to maintain the tradition of meeting early on the first day of the week to remember and celebrate the resurrection, which took place on the first day of the week.
Acts 2:1, which was the first assembly of believers, also took place on the first day of the week. There are other instances in Acts and in Paul's writings where believers met on the first day.

Any time is a good time for believers to gather in the name of Jesus and many times the small spontaneous gatherings are the most meaningful.

For your information, the early Christians did meet on the Sabbath, That is sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday.

In the book of Acts, you should notice that it says "the lights were on in the upper chamber" meaning that Sabbath services had just ended and the first day of the week started. (sundown)

Sunday worship took hold during the second century in SOME churches. Keep in mind that the majority were Pagan and they worshipped the "Sun God". Laws were passed in the fothe century to make Sunday the "Lord's day" but in reality the Sabbath is the "Lord's day" .

Krsto

The question implies that the sum of Christian life is: meeting one day a week to sit in hard pews, listen to a choir, sing a couple of hymns, and be an audience for a professional speaker who will try to convince you to put money in the hat (or plate) that is being passed around.

If that is what church is, then it doesn't matter what day you do it or if you do it at all, because it is a meaningless exercise in futility.

It is much easier to find the presence of God when you join a prison ministery than when you join a church ministry.

Amen to that!

Paulos

No.

Romans 14:5-6
One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.

Matthew 12:7-8
But if you had known what this means, ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice,’ you would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.​

Last edited:

Paulos

For your information, the early Christians did meet on the Sabbath, That is sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday.

In the book of Acts, you should notice that it says "the lights were on in the upper chamber" meaning that Sabbath services had just ended and the first day of the week started. (sundown)

Sunday worship took hold during the second century in SOME churches. Keep in mind that the majority were Pagan and they worshipped the "Sun God". Laws were passed in the fothe century to make Sunday the "Lord's day" but in reality the Sabbath is the "Lord's day" .

As Christians, the Apostles met on Sundays to observe the Lord's Supper and His resurrection, rather than on Saturdays, because it was "on the first day of the week" that Jesus was found to have risen from the dead:

Mark 16:2
Very early in the morning, on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen.​

Again, the gospel of Mark clearly states that Jesus' resurrection occurred "on the first day of the week":

Mark 16:9
Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.​

How very appropriate that the Son had risen when the sun had risen! Not only did Jesus rise on Sunday, He also made his very first appearance to the disciples after his resurrection on a Sunday:

John 20:19
Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.”​

The book of Acts tells us that the disciples came together to "break bread" (observe the Lord's Supper) on Sunday:

Acts 20:7
Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.​

Paul tells us that church donations were given on Sundays:

1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.​

From the earliest times, Sunday was the day when Christians came together to worship, to commemorate the Lord's resurrection, to observe the Lord's Supper, to preach, and to take up donations. In other words, Sunday was the day when Christians "went to church".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.