toldailytopic: Do you support embryonic stem cell research?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 11th, 2011 10:42 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stem cell research is the same as killing a person to harvest their body parts. It is immoral to purchase one's health through the deliberate death of another.

Buzzword

Stem cell research is the same as killing a person to harvest their body parts. It is immoral to purchase one's health through the deliberate death of another.

...you know stem cells can be grown in a petri dish, right?
An egg can be fertilized in a sterile medium, allowed to divide a few times, then harvested.

This is my primary problem with the "person from fertilization" argument

I'm totally fine calling a dividing set of cells in a uterus a "person," at least in hypothetical, non-legal terms.

But calling a dividing set of cells in a petri dish? Really?

How many diseases could we have eliminated by now if stem cells could have been brought to the forefront of medical research twenty years ago?
How many genetic disorders could have been corrected?
Funded, researched, integrated into basic medical knowledge, instead of treated as an insult to God and nature a la the invention of the lightning rod?

Of course, the conundrum is that nobody seems to want to cure ANYTHING anymore.
Pharmaceutical companies would rather produce a medication which allows you to LIVE WITH the disease/disorder, thus enthralling you and your wallet to them for life.

bybee

...you know stem cells can be grown in a petri dish, right?
An egg can be fertilized in a sterile medium, allowed to divide a few times, then harvested.

I'm totally fine calling a dividing set of cells in a uterus a "person," at least in hypothetical, non-legal terms.

How many diseases could we have eliminated by now if stem cells could have been brought to the forefront of medical research twenty years ago?
Funded, researched, integrated into basic medical knowledge, instead of treated as an insult to God and nature a la the invention of the lightning rod?

Of course, the conundrum is that nobody seems to want to cure ANYTHING anymore.
Pharmaceutical companies would rather produce a medication which allows you to LIVE WITH the disease/disorder, thus enthralling you and your wallet to them for life.

I have agonized over these very issues. Not all decisions are easy.
A fertilized egg, in or out of the uterus is, by definition, the same thing.

zippy2006

I don't see your problem; seems arbitrary, similar to the idea that those humans in England are persons but those in Africa are not.

Why does it matter? We gained lots of helpful and important medical information from the experiments being done during the Holocaust, should we kick that up again too?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is there something wrong with using stem cells from living adults? If I remember right, no useful information has come from an embryo, yet the adults have provided much information.

This is all a red herring, designed by the left to desenitize people to the act of killing children.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do I support abortion...er...um...I mean embryonic stem cell research?

Talk of embryonic stem cell research is yet another abortion battle in a thinly veiled disguise. Someone once said, "If you only raise the temperature of my bath water one degree every hour, how will I know when to scream?"

The same is true of those who support the untimely death of human embryos. They have difficulty persuading right-minded folks to accept their arguments for a woman's right versus the murder of an innocent child, and so they are forced to attack from different and (seemingly) clever angles.

Simply put, in order to harvest embryonic stem cells, an embryo must be destroyed in the process.

The question then becomes: How do we, as a civilized and (I hope) God-fearing society with moral fortitude view human embryos.

Human existence begins at conception. Period. You can twist and turn, put up mirrors and smoke screens, and drink copious quantities of alcohol...anything to set your mind at ease and justify your thinking anything different, but the fact remains, HUMAN EXISTENCE BEGINS AT CONCEPTION.

At the very instance of conception, the human embryo is one hundred percent human, complete with all forty-six human chromosomes and a fully functioning, very unique genetic code. The embryo's size and location (inside a uterus or in a petri dish) have no bearing on the determination of humanity.

Because research on embryonic stem cells requires the destruction of a living human being, it is against God’s will. It is an affront to our very sensibilities.

In my opinon, no amount of promised benefit to society as a whole or to the pursuit of medical and pharmacological knowledge can justify the killing of a human for its parts.

The end, most certainly, does not justify the means. It is never ethical. It is morally reprehensible. No child deserves this.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Vegas, you cannot confuse a blastocyst and a human being. Sorry, but it can't be done. And if this kind of madness perpetuates suffering all in the name of ignorance done to assuage a misguided conscience, you have my sympathy.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello, Granite! :wave: Good to see you...martini extra dry today?

Vegas, you cannot confuse a blastocyst and a human being. Sorry, but it can't be done.

How right you are! No confusion here; they are one and the same.

And if this kind of madness perpetuates suffering all in the name of ignorance done to assuage a misguided conscience, you have my sympathy.

Read Herman Melville much? We conservatives do so enjoy a nice bout of suffering. We want all pregnant, hooked-on-drugs minorities to be without shelter and food, for example. We also think all blacks should hang from trees. Yes, you caught me. My dislike for the murder of innocents is all due to my hatred of the suffering masses.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Good to see you...martini extra dry today?

Dunkin Donuts coffee, actually.

How right you are! No confusion here; they are one and the same.

:bang:

Read Herman Melville much?

Never could get into his work, sorry to say.

We conservatives do so enjoy a nice bout of suffering. We want all pregnant, hooked-on-drugs minorities to be without shelter and food, for example. We also think all blacks should hang from trees. Yes, you caught me. My dislike for the murder of innocents is all due to my hatred of the suffering masses.

Let me know when you can have an actual conversation. :e4e:

eameece

But, of course!

Jesus said he came that we may have life, and have it more abundantly. This research and knowledge is given to us to help people have greater life. Blessed be.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do I support abortion...er...um...I mean embryonic stem cell research?...

I can't rep you again so you get SPOTD.

There is no justification of using embryonic stem cells. Our society has become more callous to even consider sacrificing an innocent life for a medical procedure, especially when adult stem cells and umbilical stems cells after a live birth work just as good.

If you want to see the gross callousness of some businesses just listen to this BEL show--> Pepsi Eats Their Young. Pepsi uses embryonic stems cells to test product flavoring agents when other cells lines would work just as well. Profiting from the deaths of aborted babies--So draconian it sounds unreal.

If you haven't gathered it yet, I oppose embryonic stem cell research in all its forms. Even the name is too mild for the obscenity of the research. It would be no more hideous to murder an adult and then do tests on his harvested organs. It is just done to the unborn because they are small vulnerable members of our society.

rexlunae

It probably will not surprise anyone here that I support the research. I cannot see the supposed equivalence of a clump of cells to a person, so when asked if I would trade living breathing people for more embryos, the answer is a firm and clear 'no'.

genuineoriginal

There is no justification of using embryonic stem cells. Our society has become more callous to even consider sacrificing an innocent life for a medical procedure, especially when adult stem cells and umbilical stems cells after a live birth work just as good.
:thumb:

There are only two reasons to justify embryonic stem cell research over adult stem cell research:
  • Pharmaceutical companies can get a patent
  • Someone gets to kill an unborn person
None of those reasons are good.