toldailytopic: Do good works play a part in your salvation?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It was sufficient for him.
It was sufficient. That's all we can say with certainty.

A profession of faith was all that could be expected from the thief and God accepted it.
From a thief who was going to die anyway, who had no test to endure and nothing to venture though everything to gain? Lucky break, in the eternal scheme of things...or the thief wasn't being held to a different standard than any other man.

Yes, some "works" will flow from gratitude as you say but I think it is more than that and I think to say otherwise can err to closely to "cheap grace".
Where I'd respond anything else is less and that you have it backwards...further, that to conflate giving out of gratitude and love with forgiveness absent repentance is to misapprehend entirely.

zippy2006

From a thief who was going to die anyway, who had no test to endure and nothing to venture though everything to gain? Lucky break, in the eternal scheme of things...or the thief wasn't being held to a different standard than any other man.

Actually I think kmo has a point here:

I suppose I do, in a way. Each person and their circumstances are unique and I believe a just God will take that into account. Whether it is a person who has never heard the gospel (zippy mentioned) or a thief on a cross or someone who was raised in a Christian home and is a believer their entire life. Jesus said to take up our own crosses. What that cross is will be different for each person. The thief's cross could be nothing but a profession of belief and faith. People who are a believer their entire life will have a different one to bear.

As I was driving home last night I listened to some Catholic sermons. A few of them answered some of your concerns in my mind, but not in the way one might expect (here is one you might like). I realized that I'd sort of been led into accepting Protestant presuppositions that were latent in the questions you asked. To clarify a bit:

1. I think kmo is right insofar as we cannot look at the thief, or anyone, and pretend to know all of the variables involved in the brush with an infinite God. Trying to establish positive 'rules of salvation' seems precarious to me here, though we could more easily draw negative facts.

2. I think the inherent Protestant presupposition I temporarily adopted is the idea that salvation is met via a set of rules or objective criteria. Like kmo said, that idea undermines the subjective relationship aspect of salvation, which is almost certainly the meat 'an potatoes of it.

I don't mean to say the conversation can't be fruitful, for it can. At the very least we can gain negative knowledge about salvation, i.e. salvation cannot be earned by purely human efforts. But when we start getting into positive rulemaking about salvation like sola fide we are in dangerous waters. And as has been noted, we both believe that the virtuous pagan is saved absent faith, so apparently that metric isn't sufficient either, at least in one interpretive sense. I think a better approach to the thing is found in that sermon I gave.

So I think that salvation could be described in an intentionally vague yet simple way: response to and acceptance of grace at each step of the way. It seems we are always called to a more intimate communion with God, and salvation is a sort of full communion, not just reconciliation or justification. More precisely, it is turning from sin toward God in repentance at each step of the way. Justification is very important because it grounds the possibility for actual communion with God, but it is certainly only a first step. And that receptivity to grace doesn't mean we never fall, that we never reject grace, that we never sin, that we never find ourselves back where we were at the beginning. It does mean that we do not give up and lose hope and turn away from God permanently in despair. In any case it seems to be a process, for I don't think any of us are content with ourselves and our relationship with God, nor is God content with the relationship. He wants to give us much more.

It seems to me that the reason you are unhappy with the description I've just given is because it isn't concrete enough, it doesn't make the criteria clear enough for you. That question "how much repentance and receptivity to grace is required? How close to God must I come?," is the wrong question. But I think I've just come full circle haven't I? We are both saying that one must not try to meet a standard, they must simply love God. We seem to differ in how that relationship is developed, though I'm guessing we both appreciate the other perspective to some extent.

:think: :chuckle: I realize now that some of what I wrote here mischaracterizes your position a bit, but I'll leave it since it reflects my train of thought and seems to progress the conversation. It does seem to me that with your focus on the thief you started doing a bit of what you believe Catholicism is in danger of doing, but I think we maybe understand each other at this point. :e4e:

:cheers:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
All we can say with certainty is that it was sufficient for him.
I see you trying to cut that part out. :mmph: :chuckle:

Are you suggesting that the thief may have somehow pulled a fast one on God? :think: God knows the heart.

Where I'd respond anything else is less and that you have it backwards...further, that to conflate giving out of gratitude and love with forgiveness absent repentance is to misapprehend entirely.
I never said you believe in forgiveness absent repentance. I used the term "cheap grace". And I was careful to not absolutely apply that label to you because I think our disagreement is in large part semantics.

Do you think that the Christian has any obligations? That isn't to say that the Christian will do those in a laborious way, only that there exists obligations, whatever the spirit they are followed in.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
All we can say with certainty is that it was sufficient for him.
I disagree. You have to assume the existence of a differing standard. So in the absence of an assumption all we can say is that it was sufficient.

Are you suggesting that the thief may have somehow pulled a fast one on God? :think: God knows the heart.
In order: no and who said otherwise. Now what changed?

I never said you believe in forgiveness absent repentance. I used the term "cheap grace".
And that's the standing on cheap grace according to my research. You said it was similar or near or something to that effect. If you didn't mean to be misunderstood you should have been more direct.

And I was careful to not absolutely apply that label to you because I think our disagreement is in large part semantics.
Why is everything about Israel with you? :plain:

Do you think that the Christian has any obligations?
No. I think he is free. And that freedom is the shadow of the law and accomplishes in joy what could never be met in obligation.

That isn't to say that the Christian will do those in a laborious way, only that there exists obligations, whatever the spirit they are followed in.
Then God bless you in your labor and me in my ease. :e4e:

zippy2006

I disagree. You have to assume the existence of a differing standard.

What standard? Are we under the law? God is under no obligation to treat us all according to the same "standard." See Mt 20:1-16

That isn't to say that the Christian will do those in a laborious way, only that there exists obligations, whatever the spirit they are followed in.
Then God bless you in your labor and me in my ease. :e4e:

Huh. :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What standard? Are we under the law? God is under no obligation to treat us all according to the same "standard." See Mt 20:1-16
He, kmo, has to start with the assumption that God's practice in relation to the attainment of salvation varies from man to man to make his "what we know" work. That's the mistake in his attempt to counter me that I pointed out in reestablishing my "what we know".

Huh. :think:
A rhetorical continuation of the obligation/gratitude distinction. May he be blessed following his understanding as I feel blessed following mine. :e4e:

zippy2006

He, kmo, has to start with the assumption that God's practice in relation to the attainment of salvation varies from man to man to make his "what we know" work. That's the mistake in his attempt to counter me that I pointed out in reestablishing my "what we know".

What if kmo has a point? My concern is that you keep objectifying salvation with phrases like "attainment of salvation." Doesn't God relate somewhat differently to different people, and yet somewhat similarly? For instance, compare the virtuous pagan to the thief on the cross. God relates differently to each of them, and one is saved without faith, no?

:e4e:

zippy2006

I think the idea is that depravity is such as that we are in pitch blackness, we can't even see far enough to spot the gift offered or even look for it. So we are given something of a light that we may see it and, if we so choose, desire it. But that could happen at really any moment. Not the greatest answer, but I can't say much more on it.
To me that is basically a non-answer. :idunno: Now instead of asking what it means for God to give grace I have to ask what it means for God to give someone light. A man can make thousands of decisions and actions but somehow he can't make one particular choice, to follow God, unless God does some particular thing in that person which allows them to do it, but we aren't sure what that thing is.

No, it's essentially the difference between selfishness and selflessness. You are not just picking from a bucket of selfish and selfless (loving) choices, rather you are stuck in the mire of selfishness until someone lifts you out. There is no light without God; God is the light. You don't just go somewhere else to get it. ;)

Never mind. I misread something in semi-pelagianism. I see the difference now. :e4e:

:up:

I'm not sure there is much of a practical difference. In both cases the person is making a choice. And since God provides that initial grace to everyone, everyone is starting from the same ground.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I think understanding truth is important, even if the truth exists whether you know it or not (which tends to be the case with truth :p). ...even if it does not help you in the scientific way that concrete knowledge helps you :idunno:

Ah, so it's one of those biblical doctrines that no one can really explain or understand. :think:

That infinite God tends to do that :p

So you axed a question? :eek:

:chuckle:

:rapture:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What if kmo has a point?
What if I do?

My concern is that you keep objectifying salvation with phrases like "attainment of salvation."
I think salvation is either an objectively definable thing or we're all in a state of constant fear and trembling...in a bad way. :D

Doesn't God relate somewhat differently to different people, and yet somewhat similarly?
Does God relate differently or is it that people relate differently to God?

For instance, compare the virtuous pagan to the thief on the cross. God relates differently to each of them, and one is saved without faith, no?
No, I don't think that's true, though I think there's a long discussion in that and I'm about to be off and about.

zippy2006

Well I think we probably disagree to an extent then. You seem to be undermining God's person-ness. People relate differently to static things and the static things don't relate differently to them. Not so with persons, not so with God. If there are genuine human differences (I'd say there are) then God actually relates differently to each unique person, though always within His character, always with the same general theme.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well I think we probably disagree to an extent then. You seem to be undermining God's person-ness.
Where I think you're just looking at it backwards. :idunno:

People relate differently to static things and the static things don't relate differently to them.
People relate differently to their parents than their compatriots. Doesn't make either of those groups static. And neither are allowed to exceed the speed limit/both will face the same penalty and process if they do.

zippy2006

People relate differently to static things and the static things don't relate differently to them.
People relate differently to their parents than their compatriots. Doesn't make either of those groups static.

Right, the differentiating point was whether the object/subject relates differently to us...

And neither are allowed to exceed the speed limit/both will face the same penalty and process if they do.

We're not talking about a speed limit, we're talking about a personal relationship. Salvation isn't by the law.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Right, the differentiating point was whether the object/subject relates differently to us...
I don't see either relationship as static, though both roles are defined. And I distinguish between the relationship that flows from salvation, which is dynamic, and the cross, which is a fixed point.

We're not talking about a speed limit, we're talking about a personal relationship. Salvation isn't by the law.
Where I'd say it is the law in purpose fulfilled.

zippy2006

People relate differently to their parents than their compatriots. Doesn't make either of those groups static.

zip said:

I don't see either relationship as static, though both roles are defined.

Our relationship with a piece of sandpaper is static. Our relationships with people and God is not. Such is a subject-subject relationship. Each person relates differently to the other person than others do (they are subjects). God loves each of us, but relates differently to our differing personalities. Salvation is primarily a relationship with God.

And I distinguish between the relationship that flows from salvation, which is dynamic, and the cross, which is a fixed point.

I half-agree. The cross and the relationship aren't completely separate; the cross is just God's infinite side of the relationship.

Where I'd say it is the law in purpose fulfilled.

True enough, but that doesn't negate my point.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Our relationship with a piece of sandpaper is static. Our relationships with people and God is not. Such is a subject-subject relationship. Each person relates differently to the other person than others do (they are subjects). God loves each of us, but relates differently to our differing personalities. Salvation is primarily a relationship with God.
That's where we differ. I see it as a point of embarkation.

True enough, but that doesn't negate my point.
I'm not attempting to negate your perspective--merely offering my own.

zippy2006

Salvation is primarily a relationship with God.
That's where we differ. I see it as a point of embarkation.

Okay, and that's what I call justification. So I think the terms should be sorted by now. :D

But I guess to summarize: anyone who sees salvation as a relationship with God will have a problem with your more rule-orientated thinking with respect to salvation. If we want to develop a strong relationship we shouldn't look at the thief as our model and say "that's all that's required."

I'm not attempting to negate your perspective--merely offering my own.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Okay, and that's what I call justification. So I think the terms should be sorted by now. :D

But I guess to summarize: anyone who sees salvation as a relationship with God will have a problem with your more rule-orientated thinking with respect to salvation.
I don't think finding salvation and the beginning of relation by faith, profession and reliance is rule oriented at all.

If we want to develop a strong relationship we shouldn't look at the thief as our model and say "that's all that's required."
The error in this attempt to advance my position is your insistence on framing it within your context.

zippy2006

I don't think finding salvation and the beginning of relation by faith, profession and reliance is rule oriented at all.

The error in this attempt to advance my position is your insistence on framing it within your context.

I think I've addressed most of this here. But it's not necessarily a contextual problem, for when you say "no, you don't need to do that, you just need faith, look at the thief," you are opening the door for the bad faith that Merton noted.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think I've addressed most of this here. But it's not necessarily a contextual problem, for when you say "no, you don't need to do that, you just need faith, look at the thief," you are opening the door for the bad faith that Merton noted.

I don't see it that way. Unsurprisingly, you and Merton are in agreement because he shares your context and particular faith. Or because you're in agreement, etc. It's entirely a contextual difference in that you see the whole in terms of obligation and the attempt to couch my understanding in those terms leads to that prior declaration of yours.

zippy2006

I don't see it that way. Unsurprisingly, you and Merton are in agreement because he shares your context and particular faith. Or because you're in agreement, etc. It's entirely a contextual difference in that you see the whole in terms of obligation and the attempt to couch my understanding in those terms leads to that prior declaration of yours.

I think you're actually committing the contextual error here. Merton and I are saying that the strict obligation should be done away with, and that too much emphasis on faith in the wrong way re-introduces that law-language of obligation (and I've noted numerous times that this is not a strictly necessary result of your position).

Kmo made a valid distinction between two types of obligation/labor earlier. One is a law-like obligation and one is simple spiritual cause-effect. Basically there is a middle ground between law-like obligation and effortless love. This is because we are human and not yet capable of effortless love and effortless growth in God. For humans, slaving to the law and claiming "sola fide" are often precisely the same thing. In each case you jump through a hoop and are magically saved. It is that sort of "sola fide" that we disagree with.