toldailytopic: Do all religions eventually lead to the One True God?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 27th, 2012 08:03 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

John 14:6

In the words of the great JohnW:

/thread

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Do all religions eventually lead to the One True God?

Outside of the Church, there is no salvation. See CCC 846-848. There is one, and only one religion, that leads to everlasting life, and that is the Catholic Faith.

Of course, this is to be understood with various due qualifications.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Outside of the Church, there is no salvation. See CCC 846-848. There is one, and only one religion, that leads to everlasting life, and that is the Catholic Faith.

So my confession of Jesus Christ as King coupled with my belief God raised Him from the dead means zilch without the RCC?

tomlapalm

As other posts have said, We will all stand before the one true God. The question is what relationship? As a pardoned sinner or a defiant one.

Jesus hates religions but desires a one on one relationship.

Buzzword

The one who is looking for truth will find it, whether in a cathedral, a church, a synagogue, a mosque, a temple, an elemental circle, a jungle, or around a sacred flame.

God is not limited to the words we speak about Him, and thus He is able to reveal Himself in our little neatly categorized methods AND completely outside of all of them.

We all see as through a glass darkly, especially when fighting amongst ourselves, letting our individual perceptions, cultures, and personal bias shape our concept of Him (including a concept of His nonexistence).

Matthew 7:7-8
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

Thus, it confuses me to see people discouraging bridge-building between separate religions, especially when individuals on both sides of the chasm are seeking truth and wish to encourage and support their spiritual siblings on the other side.

We are all in a continuous process of shedding the beliefs which get in God's way, and we must rely on each other to grow in better relationship with God, our fellow man, and God's created universe.

lovemeorhateme

Romans 10:9 'If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead you shall be saved'.

I don't see any mention of the RCC in this verse!

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So my confession of Jesus Christ as King coupled with my belief God raised Him from the dead means zilch without the RCC?

"Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble" (James 2:19).

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
"Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble" (James 2:19).

Come out and say it then,Trad. Tell me that you believe I'm going to hell, despite the FACT that I have confessed Jesus Christ as Lord, and that I believe that God raised him from the dead.

Quit beating around the bush.... I don't think you have the guts to actually say it.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No, I do not believe that they all do.

But the one sure thing is that the Scriptures do. It is by one way, Jesus said that He is the way, the truth, and the life, and no comes to the Father except through Him. That's it, bottom line, that's very direct, and Jesus is the only who said it, and Jesus is the one who can do it to give man access to the Father, that we may know the one true living God, the great I AM. And when John 14:6 is explained to the reader that will lead to Romans 10:8-13.

keypurr

I see only one true God, but there are folks who think of him differently. God reads the intent of the heart so who knows? In the Christian religion alone there are many ideas as to serve him. I believe in the God that Jesus has, for he sent his son to die for us. But how about the folks who do not know him?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Come out and say it then,Trad. Tell me that you believe I'm going to hell, despite the FACT that I have confessed Jesus Christ as Lord, and that I believe that God raised him from the dead.

Quit beating around the bush.... I don't think you have the guts to actually say it.

I don't know whether or not you're going to Hell. I certainly hope that you don't, and I think it's certainly possible for you to go to Heaven, if you really love Our Lord and you live the best way that you know how, and if you are really sorry, out of love for God, for the sins that you've commited.

I'm not a Feenyist. I don't assert that all who aren't explicitly practicing Roman Catholics are going to Hell.

What I do assert is that all salvation comes from Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ is present in His Church, that is, the Catholic Church.

Everyone in Heaven believes the Catholic Faith. Not, of course, in the manner of faith. As St. Augustine says, in Heaven, faith and hope are replaced with certain knowledge and face-to-face vision. Only love remains.

But I can assure you of this, MrDeets: if you only profess that Christ is your savior, that He has risen from the dead, etc., but you don't try to live morally, if you persist in mortal sins without even the slightest desire to give them up, if you don't pray, etc....that is, if you say with your mouth that Christ is God, but you don't profess the divinity of Christ in your heart and in your deeds, I can almost assure you that you are going to be damned.

This is why it is very important for us to pray both for each other and for the whole world. The road to life is narrow, MrDeets, and few find it. Christ says that. One of the surest and best ways of walking that narrow road is prayer. If we pray in sincerity of heart, God will shepherd us along that narrow path, and we will be among of the few who find it.

It will be hard. But God will lead us to do it.

So do remember to pray for me when you pray your daily prayers. And I, in turn, will try to remember you in mine. :)

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
I don't know whether or not you're going to Hell. I certainly hope that you don't, and I think it's certainly possible for you to go to Heaven, if you really love Our Lord and you live the best way that you know how, and if you are really sorry, out of love for God, for the sins that you've commited.

I'm not a Feenyist. I don't assert that all who aren't explicitly practicing Roman Catholics are going to Hell.

What I do assert is that all salvation comes from Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ is present in His Church, that is, the Catholic Church.

Everyone in Heaven believes the Catholic Faith. Not, of course, in the manner of faith. As St. Augustine says, in Heaven, faith and hope are replaced with certain knowledge and face-to-face vision. Only love remains.

But I can assure you of this, MrDeets: if you only profess that Christ is your savior, that He has risen from the dead, etc., but you don't try to live morally, if you persist in mortal sins without even the slightest desire to give them up, if you don't pray, etc....that is, if you say with your mouth that Christ is God, but you don't profess the divinity of Christ in your heart and in your deeds, I can almost assure you that you are going to be damned.

This is why it is very important for us to pray both for each other and for the whole world. The road to life is narrow, MrDeets, and few find it. Christ says that. One of the surest and best ways of walking that narrow road is prayer. If we pray in sincerity of heart, God will shepherd us along that narrow path, and we will be among of the few who find it.

It will be hard. But God will lead us to do it.

So do remember to pray for me when you pray your daily prayers. And I, in turn, will try to remember you in mind. :)

To respond anymore in this thread will be derailment. I will say I see better where you are coming from, and I appreciate the thought you put into that post. There are both things I agree with and things I vehemently disagree with- but another day perhaps.:e4e:

Oh- and you can count on my prayers.

tomlapalm

The one who is looking for truth will find it, whether in a cathedral, a church, a synagogue, a mosque, a temple, an elemental circle, a jungle, or around a sacred flame.

God is not limited to the words we speak about Him, and thus He is able to reveal Himself in our little neatly categorized methods AND completely outside of all of them.

We all see as through a glass darkly, especially when fighting amongst ourselves, letting our individual perceptions, cultures, and personal bias shape our concept of Him (including a concept of His nonexistence).

Matthew 7:7-8

Thus, it confuses me to see people discouraging bridge-building between separate religions, especially when individuals on both sides of the chasm are seeking truth and wish to encourage and support their spiritual siblings on the other side.

We are all in a continuous process of shedding the beliefs which get in God's way, and we must rely on each other to grow in better relationship with God, our fellow man, and God's created universe.

I disagree. my perception of what truth is may not be valid. I may accept error instead of truth. I ONLY benefit when I choose, believe and act upon the correct Truth. We cannot say everyone saying they have the truth are equally valid when they disagree with each other.

We benefit when we have the believed and acted correctly

Jesus said" I am the way the truth and the life no man cometh unto the Father but by me"

Ps82

If the statement were true that all religions lead to the ONE true God, then one would have to ask: Why did Christ bother to send his apostles and disciples into the world to profess that HE is the way, the truth, and the life?

If we consider ourselves "Christians / followers of Christ" and believe what Christ said, then we have to conclude that only HE is the way.

If we consider "Christianity" a form of a religion with many denominations (each having their particular, quirks, differences, and challenges), then we would have to say that only one religion (following Christ) leads to God.

Now ... I exclude the Jewish faith from this statement ... for I believe that they have a particular covenant with the LORD ... and he may deal with them in different ways... because ... it is said that one day Israel /and or / the Jews will bow before HIM. They may have to profess their unbelief and blindness to HIM one day. I sort of leave this up to my Lord and their LORD.