toldailytopic: Did God choose an eternity ago who would, and who wouldn't, be saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you're getting at?
At least you're consistent. :chuckle:

Are you referring to 2 Timothy 2:13? If you are, what Paul is saying here is an argument that we can't lose our salvation once we have accepted Jesus and are baptized into the Body of Christ: "If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself. We are "members" of Christ's Body. So what Paul is saying here is that since we are members of Christ's Body, He will not deny Himself (believers in the Body).
Okay. Either way, God cannot deny Himself. He cannot do it. He is NOT "free" to deny Himself.

That's not what Hebrews says. "For in that He Himself has suffered, BEING TEMPTED, He is able to aid those who are tempted" (Heb. 2:18). "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points TEMPTED as we are, YET WITHOUT SIN" (Heb. 4:15).

Hebrews 4:15 is clearly a temptation to "sin." Can you give me Scripture to support your statement that Jesus was tempted to prove that He's God's Son?
I'll refer you to my post Here

Realize that the Old Testamen was translated into Greek (Septuagint) abut 300 years before the coming of Jesus Christ. Two Greek words ( peiraz and dokimaz) are used for temptation. They can mean a test, proof (as in a coin), experiment, trial, and enticement to sin. Much of the King James Version was translated from the Septuagint.
I'm no rookie. You don't need to tell me things I learned 25 years ago.

Words can have a wide range of meanings, so we have to look at the meaning in the context of the verse. Satan was not giving Jesus a multiple choice "test" that was going to be graded. Satan was trying his best to entice Jesus to sin. Actually, He offered Jesus the world if Jesus would just bow His knee to Satan.
Which proved that Jesus is God, who cannot sin.

Again, I will ask you... Is someone born (begotten) of God greater than God? Is Jesus born (begotten) of God?

But we sin.
Who is "we"? In other words, who are YOU in Christ? Are you righteous? Holy? Blameless? Perfect? A Saint? Or something else?

For some reason, you want to belittle the temptation of Christ by Satan as being a test rather than a temptation.
No, I want to eaxlt Jesus as God, because that is who He is, proven by the fact that He cannot sin.
Jesus was flesh and bone, and He was hungry after fasting 40 days and nights. Jesus offered Him food. If that's not a temptation, then I don't know what is.
Yes, it is an external temptation. Satan tempted Jesus. Jesus was not tempted. Understand the difference?

If Jesus Christ could not sin, then it was not a temptation.
Not true. You can prove gold through fire. It is tested, and proven. You can throw a lit match in a barrel of oil or a barrel of water. The result proves what it is.
The ultimate end of Closed Theism is that God is a Being without a will to act otherwise--just like a programmed computer.
I am an Open Theist, and yet, I know that God is righteous, and not in submission to any law.

God is a free Agent. He can choose to be evil or good.
Then you have a god who is less than the law that He serves. You have a god who eats from the wrong tree.

I like a great deal of what you teach on this site, Tom, but on this you are in grave, egregious, error.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
There are things God is not free to do, just as there are things we are not free to do. However, God is free to do a great many things. While He is not free to be God or not be God [He is God and cannot [is not free to] be otherwise], He is free to change His mind concerning a nation, etc.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yes and no means something besides yes and no?

Am I typing on a computer? Yes.

What is the nature of sin, free will, God's character, etc.? No?

He has a false dichotomy/trap that cannot be answered with yes/no. His question and assumptions are faulty.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I believe Jesus had the ability to do so, but refused. Speaking of when he was in the flesh.

"Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne, O God. If Jesus Christ had bowed His knee to Satan, sin would have entered the Godhead, and God would have come undone.

I agree. That is how I see it. In fact, I don't see really anything I disagree with. Your original question was my comment to godrulz. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He likes to talk about open theism, but not as a description of God's character, but about the uncertainty of the future. I am judging him and saying he likes the idea that a person can be unsaved because he wants to be righteous on his own account. But he is a wolf, and he says otherwise, I will just lay his quotes in here so you can see them for yourself.

Open Theism deals with the nature of the future and the character and attributes of God. I have talked about all of these things.

Quote away, but you consistently misunderstand and misrepresent my views because of your venomous bias and lack of critical thinking skills. You will also have to selectively quote me because I also say many things you agree with (except you stupidly say I really don't believe the verses about grace/faith that I repeatedly quote to expose your straw men).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Could it be said any clearer than that?

YOU are not "free" to choose to believe.

God alone regenerates and saves. We alone believe or reject with our will/mind in response to His non-causative influence. The Spirit alone causes regeneration (Godward), but the manward condition is faith, something we do (God does not believe for us; Satan does not unbelieve for the godless).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
This is like saying that if God is loving, love must be greater than God, so God does not love?!:confused:
No it isn't, you moron.

Just how dumb are you?

God is righteous, period. He doesn't have to follow any rules to be righteous. He acts righteously because He is righteous.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Explain why his question is "faulty". Apparently you don't have free will, because you can't.

Read previous posts. When did you convert to Open Theism? Last I heard, you were on the fence. I imagine you have your own version though (or TOL version). Keep it up and you will be a Finneyite Pentecostal before you know it.:patrol::cheers: (root beer)

godrulz

Hall of Fame
No it isn't, you moron.

Just how dumb are you?

God is righteous, period. He doesn't have to follow any rules to be righteous. He acts righteously because He is righteous.

I was not aware that you read the massive 'Summa Theologica' by St. Thomas Aquinas, the philosophically influenced Catholic theologian.

Like him, you are confusing being and character, metaphysics and morals.:shut:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Read previous posts. When did you convert to Open Theism? Last I heard, you were on the fence. I imagine you have your own version though (or TOL version). Keep it up and you will be a Finneyite Pentecostal before you know it.:patrol::cheers: (root beer)
He's been open view since before I joined TOL.

I was not aware that you read the massive 'Summa Theologica' by St. Thomas Aquinas, the philosophically influenced Catholic theologian.

Prove it. Show, exactly, how I am doing so.

God acts righteous because He is righteous. You say He is righteous because He acts righteous. Who's the confused one here?

TeeJay

At least you're consistent. :chuckle:

Consistently what?

Okay. Either way, God cannot deny Himself. He cannot do it. He is NOT "free" to deny Himself.

I know it says "cannot." But God is not a programmed robot who can't do, say, or act otherwise. A good example: When Peter cut off the ear of the high priest's servant, Jesus said, "Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels?" (Mat. 26:53). Jesus went WILLINGLY to the Cross. He did not HAVE TO. He willingly will not deny Himself (us as members of the Body). He does not have to!

[/Quote]I'll refer you to my post Here[/Quote]

I'm not good with computers. I will go back and look at this.

[/Quote]I'm no rookie. You don't need to tell me things I learned 25 years ago.[/Quote]

I've not had any dialogue with you in the past. So, I know not what you know and do not know. I did not mean to offend.

Which proved that Jesus is God, who cannot sin.

The ultimate end or outcome of Closed Theism is that God Himself is not free to do otherwise. I always ask this question: Can God change the number raindrops that will fall in Montana tomorrow?

Again, I will ask you... Is someone born (begotten) of God greater than God? Is Jesus born (begotten) of God?

There are two beings on earth who had no earthly fathers--Adam and Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is God. When He came in the flesh, He emptied Himself of His quantitative attributes such as omnipresence, omnipotence, etc. But He did not empty Himself of His qualitatie attriutes of being alive, personal, relational, good, loving, righteous and just. In John, Jesus prayed, "And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory WHICH I HAD WITH YOU BEFORE THE WORLD WAS" (John 17:5).

Adam can't be greater than God, for he is a created being by God. You or I can't be greater than God, for we are offspring of Adam and Eve. Now Jesus can't be lesser than God; He is God!

Who is "we"? In other words, who are YOU in Christ? Are you righteous? Holy? Blameless? Perfect? A Saint? Or something else?

All except "something else." We sin, but we are no sinners--in Christ. But that's another Bible lesson for another time.

No, I want to eaxlt Jesus as God, because that is who He is, proven by the fact that He cannot sin. Yes, it is an external temptation. Satan tempted Jesus. Jesus was not tempted. Understand the difference?

If Jesus Christ could not be tempted, then Satan did not tempt him. It would be like me trying to attempt my dog, Gus, with onions. Jesus Christ is God. But, and this is a big but, He took on flesh. He lowered Himself. He became as we in the flesh. He sweated. He grew weary. He wept. He feared (prayer in the garden the night before crucifixion). He felt pain. He experienced humiliation. If none of these things are real, then His not sinning has no value or meaning. Jesus was tempter in all ways. But the difference between Him and us is that He did not give in to the temptations.

Not true. You can prove gold through fire. It is tested, and proven. You can throw a lit match in a barrel of oil or a barrel of water. The result proves what it is. I am an Open Theist, and yet, I know that God is righteous, and not in submission to any law.

I can't see the anaology? Jesus Christ had a free will to choose just as we do. Who can tell God that He CAN'T do otherwise. If He can't do otherwise, this His righteous actions lose their value. He's not righteous because He chooses to be righteous; He's righteous because He just can't be unrighteous.

Then you have a god who is less than the law that He serves. You have a god who eats from the wrong tree.

God did not create any laws. Laws are descriptions. The moral law is a description of God's righteousness. The pagan Greeks posited that the gods could be capricious and do anything they wanted to JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE GODS. There are many Christians today who say that God can do other than the laws that describe Him.

God can do other than the laws that describe Him, but then He would be a different God, for His description would change. If God lied, He would no longer be honest. If God broke His word, He would no longer be trustworthy. If God sinned, He would no longer be righteous, and so on.

Now God's righteousness can be esteemed and valued not because He can't violate the moral laws; rather, because He can, but freely chooses to be righteous.

I like a great deal of what you teach on this site, Tom, but on this you are in grave, egregious, error.

Thank you! I had no idea anyone was reading what I'v written.

Sozo, I've given this subject very careful thought. I believe I'm riight. I apoligize I did not answer you sooner. I was being bombarded, and I guess you got lost in the shuffle.

God bless, Tom from Mabank, TX

I'm willing to wager half of everything I own that you've never read the Bible.

Unlike you, Lighthouse has read the Bible, and it is quite clear that God is righteous, and not because he does right.

Your god is a demon, who eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and submits to it. Your god is moral, just like the god of Joseph Smith.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I'm willing to wager half of everything I own that you've never read the Bible.

Unlike you, Lighthouse has read the Bible, and it is quite clear that God is righteous, and not because he does right.

Your god is a demon, who eats from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and submits to it. Your god is moral, just like the god of Joseph Smith.

Read my lips: God is righteous, holy, loving, faithful, just, merciful, eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, sovereign, etc. His attributes of being are not identical to His moral and personal attributes (unless you are a pagan Greek philosopher).

What kind of house and car will I get since I have read the Bible cover to cover in a number of versions?

Read my lips: God is righteous, holy, loving, faithful, just, merciful, eternal, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, sovereign, etc. His attributes of being are not identical to His moral and personal attributes (unless you are a pagan Greek philosopher).
God is not moral. You have a false god.

What kind of house and car will I get since I have read the Bible cover to cover in a number of versions?
We already know you're a pathological liar, so you get nothing.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God is not moral. You have a false god.

We already know you're a pathological liar, so you get nothing.

Lose-lose as usual.

Morals vs metaphysics is a technical, theological/philosophical discussion, not to be confused with your lay version of morality (cf. epistemology, etc.). Good luck trying to win thinking atheists to the cause.

Just curious, since you know the destinies of men as judge, jury, executioner, are Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort heaven or hell bound despite not articulating the gospel and exchanged life theories just like you do?

Can you send me a list of the few people on earth who are saved in your books?

drbrumley

That's not a definition of free will.

I don't deny choice. What I deny is that our choices are "free" from divine intervention.

The English definition of free will I have provided is a "theologically precise definition" of free will.

As humans, do we have the capicity to thwart God's will?

Status
Not open for further replies.