toldailytopic: Conan O'Brien, Jay Leno, and NBC. Who are you rooting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2010 10:52 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
The time for rooting is over. Conan already signed an exit deal.

Leno was doing fine on The Tonight Show and Conan was doing fine on Late Night. They should have left well enough alone.

The Graphite

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2010 10:52 AM

Well, if by "root" you mean "to burrow something into the earth and leave it there, indefinitely"...

Then I say all of the above!

The Berean

Can someone explain to me what happened? Jay's new show was doing poorly and he wanted to go back to the Tonight Show?

I never found Conan O'Brien even remotely funny by the way.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can someone explain to me what happened? Jay's new show was doing poorly and he wanted to go back to the Tonight Show?
Apparently both shows were not doing well, although Leno's show was a complete disaster.

NBC wanted to move the half hour Leno show back to 11:35 (EDT) which would have moved the Tonight Show to 12:05 (EDT). Conan said that will make the Tonight Show air first thing in the morning therefore it isn't the Tonight Show anymore and so he refused to make the move.

NBC and Conan then went on to battle it out behind the scenes. Conan was fired (his last show is Friday) and he will most likely end up on Fox battling Leno during the same time slot.

Conan's fans have vowed to support him and NBC had to pay him 45 million bucks to make the move. Conan get's 30 mill and his staff gets the rest.

I never found Conan O'Brien even remotely funny by the way.
I don't watch Conan or Leno but Conan's humor is a bit more my style.

It's wild to see these trainwrecks play out in such a public way. Clearly NBC didn't handle this very well.

Aimiel

Jay told NBC from the beginning that 10 PM wouldn't work for a comedy show, five nights a week. People want variety in prime time. NBC had poor ratings for the Tonight Show, and no one was watching the late news on their networks, so the networks were crying for Jay to come back. Conan got angry about moving to midnight, so he lost his job (for a $30M buyout from his contract) and Jay is moving back to 11:30. We up to speed now?

The Berean

Oh wow, this really cost NBC some big money. To be honest some of Conan's humor is kind of funny but he didn't seem the right choice to replace Jay. Their styles of humor are completely different. I wonder how Conan will do on Fox going head-to-head with Jay? It should be interesting to watch.

The Graphite

I think they should have hired Jerry Seinfeld instead of Conan.

Wow, what a phenomenal idea. (Not being sarcastic, here.) I can't believe I never thought of it. He is absolutely the right choice.

Conan is a blithering idiot. I have never found him funny for one second. He's not quite as bad as Jimmy Fallon, mind you, but he bores me to tears. (Fallon is an utterly talentless hack. You couldn't do any worse picking someone randomly off the street, imho. And frankly, every time I see him, I wonder if that's what they actually did.)

One could argue that this situation actually goes back to when Craig Ferguson started beating Conan in the ratings, going head to head. NBC may have thought they could avoid this by shifting the schedule. Just a theory. But, they simply put Conan from the frying pan into the fire. He was doomed to fail.

The Graphite

I agree, Jimmy Fallon and Craig Ferguson are both hacks. :vomit:
Hmm, I think you misread my post.

I said Fallon was a hack.

Ferguson is quite funny, although far from perfect. He has a cheeky and cynical sense of humor that matches mine in many ways.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Conan never had the lead in that Leno had and little time to build an audience off of the dramatic let down Leno's new show offered. Once again, the wearisome, anything for what I want Leno is being rewarded for being the network brown nosing puppet that he is, regardless of the toothless jokes he's hurling on his way back to the Tonight Show.

I was a Carson guy and then, agreeing with Carson, a Letterman guy. I hope Leno gets what he richly deserves and he and the network brass manage to minimize the whole shooting match.

Ferguson is charming enough and funny. Odd fellow.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I haven't watched any of them in years and don't really care.

WizardofOz

I have always preferred Conan to the other late night show hosts. He is a proud dork and he creates rapport with his guests like no other hosts. I have seen the same guests appear on all the shows and it is easy to tell most feel the most at ease and relaxed with Conan.

I can see why some don't appreciate his style of comedy (it is certainly different than Leno's), but I have always favored it over the others.

I find Letterman just plain unfunny and now creepy and I find Leno sex-obsessed and creepy although they both have funny segments (like headlines and Jay-walking). The same goes for Jimmy Kimmel. I really cannot stand him. Fallon is awkward, but he's coming around and improving. I like Ferguson but don't get to see him often. Carson has a great format but he's pretty unfunny.

Conan takes the cake with me and I wish him all the luck in the world on Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.