toldailytopic: Best movies of their genre: Drama, Comedy, Action, Sci-Fi, Horror

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Drama: The Bells of St. Mary's
Action: Die Hard and The Expendables
Sci Fi: Alien
Horror: Audrey Rose and Child of Darkness, Child of Light
Comedy: Cat Ballou and Hot Lead & Cold Feet and Yours, Mine & Ours (the original one)
Comedy series of movies: Ma & Pa Kettle
Western: Anything with John Wayne in it ;)

Buzz

Drama: Shawshank
Sci-Fi: Frequency
Comedy: O Brother Where Art Thou
Horror: Pan's Labyrinth
Action: Kill Bill 1 & 2
Fantasy LOTR Series
Western Unforgiven
Love Story The Game
War Schindler's List
CrimeThe Next 3 Days
MusicalPaint Your Wagon (soon to be Les Miserables)
Thriller No Country for Old Men
Disturbing At Close Range
Romance Once

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You could almost finish this list from one year: 1939.

Action/adventure: Beau Geste, Gunga Din

Drama: Dark Victory, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Epic: Gone With the Wind

Fantasy: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Wizard of Oz

Western: Stagecoach

Romance: Love Affair, Wuthering Heights

zoo22

It's always remarkable to me when I see or think about lists like this how so many well-made films can fit pretty easily into a number of different categories. And similarly, can often be difficult to fit into only one category.

zoo22

It's also interesting to me how often documentaries can get overlooked as a category in people's "favorite/best film" lists (though some did stick to Knight's original list of categories).

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In keeping with the theme of refusing to stray from the OP list ( :plain: ), I'll add:

-Favorite radio show: Chickenman
-Favorite shoe size: 10.5

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, since I just saw it and was shocked that it was much better than I expected, I want to add "low budget action" movie to the list and put "Safe" right at the top.

Drama: Forest Gump
Sci Fi: Blade Runner, Although Star Wars is close
Animation: Les Indestructibles
Fantasy: LotR
Action: Bourne
Western: Good Bad Ugly
Comedy: Princess Bride
Thriller: Old Boy. It isn't much action or mystery, but it keeps you on the edge of your seat so I guess it's a thriller. Maybe Memento would fit this well, but Old Boy creeped me out a lot more.
Mystery: Inception
War: We Were Soldiers

I have to add that Groundhog Day was brilliantly done. But it isn't brilliant for its comedy as much as for it's message about time and will.

Last edited:

Buzzword

Horror: Saw, Paranormal Activity
Historical: Shakespeare in Love, Good Night and Good Luck
Comedy: Anchorman, Blazing Saddles
Musical: RENT, My Fair Lady
Action: Fearless, Fist of Legend
Sci-Fi: The Empire Strikes Back, The Matrix
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings
Drama: Finding Forrester, Citizen Kane
Animated, teen/adult: Akira
Animated, children's: The Lion King
Children's, live action: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Drama: Godfather 1&2, Streetcar Named Desire, Casablanca, Vertigo, Gone With the Wind, Double Indemnity, Rebecca, Wethering Heights, Doctor Zhivago, The Killers (film noir)
Sci-Fi: Star Wars, ET
Comedy: Being There, O Brother Where Art Thou, Groundhog Day
Horror: Bran Stoker's Dracula, Copycat
Action: Last Man Standing, The Jackal, Face/Off
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings
Western: Shane, Red River, The Searchers
War: The Bridge on the River Kwai, Schindler's List
Crime: Public Enemy, White Heat, Scarface, both versions
Musical: My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, West Side Story
Thriller: Primal Fear, The Jagged Edge, No Country for Old Men, Pacific Heights
Romance: Hope Floats, The Ya YA Sisterhood, While You Were Sleeping, Overboard, Dirty Dancing, Always

Cracked

Drama: The Quiet Man, Braveheart, The Passion of the Christ, The Graduate
Sci-Fi: Star Wars, Aliens
Comedy: Groundhog Day, A Fish Called Wanda, Ghostbusters, Airplane
Horror: Jaws, The Ring, Evil Dead 2, An American Werewolf in London
Action: The Rock
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings Jackson, The Lord of the Rings Bakshi
Western: The Cowboys, Tombstone, The Unforgiven
War: The Bridge on the River Kwai
Musical: West Side Story, High Society
Thriller: Frailty

zoo22

There are better than some of these, but a current personal favorites:

Drama: Sunset Boulevard, Magnolia, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, No Country For Old Men, Fargo, Raging Bull, The Bicycle Thief, Cool Hand Luke, okay, I better stop there...
Comedy: Being There, School of Rock, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Big Lebowski, Paper Moon
Action: The Road Warrior, Aliens, Apocalypse Now (I'm not big on action films, so there's a bit of stretching)
Sci-Fi: Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Children of Men
Horror: The Shining, The Exorcist, Let The Right One In

Edit: I also have a real soft-spot for The Bad News Bears (in the drama category of course... Though it's also a great documentary :plain:).

Okay, I'm trying to reduce my list to one film for each category, in Knight's category list. Still personal, and I know that some might not be the best, but I'm trying to round it out... A desert island list, some favorites, that I also think are also arguably the best.

Drama: Sunset Boulevard. But Magnolia is probably the drama I'd choose for a desert island. Even though I know there are better.
Comedy: This is so tough. Being There. No, The Big Lebowski. No, Dr Strangelove. No, School of Rock. ... Okay, Being There.
Action: Apocalypse Now
Sci-Fi: Blade Runner
Horror: The Shining.

But as far as my own horror, the film that probably scared me the most was Apocalypse Now... I had absolutely no idea what was going on, but I knew it was really bad, and it scared the heck out of me. It was at a drive-in (I wasn't in a car... I was just kind of running around, watching it). It just really disturbed me, deeply. The only thing film-wise that has ever really scared me more is when I was watching Rosemary's Baby on a little Black & white TV at home, and right at the end, when the satanists were going bananas in their baby ritual, a car drove right into the side of our house. Seriously. That happened.

Also, though there might be better, I can't imagine being on a desert island with a bunch of films and one of them not being School of Rock. It would help keep me going. My Wilson.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Test your powers of reasoning. I like 'chick flicks' why?

The Martix was good, it is more a science fiction than a drama. "Life is Beautiful", I have and not yet seen, will do so soon. "Con Air" was a good movie, but it was a little far on suspension of disbelief. "Forest Gump" was very good, then was it more comedy, or drama? One good thing about the picture, it made clear, that human devastation was more nurture than nature. "Spartacus" was a great picture, a near favourite, then it was more an Epic, same with Lawrence of Arabia. "Gangs of New York" was really good, yet was it equal to "Seven days of May" a hard-hitting drama, same with "The Manchurian Candidate", the original was best, yet I never understood Lee's role? "Hud' was simple, yet one of the best for character analysis, same with "On the Water Front". "Citizen Kane' just about the best ever; same with the some of other works from Orson Wells; there are too many to list as favourites. Some of the best films reveal how life may lead one self awareness, Rita Hayworth and Glen Ford in "Gilda" and into a disaster, look at "The Hustler' what a hard way to to find one's character, same with the loss of it, we see in "Sweet Bird of Youth" and the hollow character in "Cool Hand Luke" who died for validation! Same as those who find redemption for themselves, Paul Newman brought this home in several good movies, "From the Terrace" "The Long Hot Summer" In war, Robert Mitchum, The Enemy Below" and recognition "Undercurrent", "and loss, "Home From the Hill". Steve McQueen, "Cincinnati Kid" comes to lean about the better side of loss, George Peppard, too in "The Carpetbaggers' and loss, "The Blue Max", same with so many more!