toldailytopic: Arranged marriage: good idea, bad idea?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If Rusha says bad, it must be good. I wonder who is beat more often? Those met from the failed American experiment called dating, or arranged?

Whatever you say, Nicky. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Jinkx'd Rushian

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well Stripe, I guess the question was more nuanced than I considered, and my response was thus more knee-jerk than I intended. "Arranged marriage" in common parlance in USA is probably ignorant and anachronistic; it means that the marriage is arranged by the parents of the marrying couple (with little or not veto power granted to the couple), which is opposed to the far more common practice here of the marrying couple "arranging" the marriage themselves.So...my bad !:crackup:-Jed

It wasn't nuanced at all. It was a false dichotomy. There's nothing about the concept of an arranged marriage that necessarily denies any party any ability to choose.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It wasn't nuanced at all. It was a false dichotomy. There's nothing about the concept of an arranged marriage that necessarily denies any party any ability to choose.

As in choosing to *not* marry? Wouldn't that kind of contradict the term "arranged marriage*?

Jedidiah

Dear Stripe,

In practical terms, there is a dichotomy between arranged marriage and its alternative. Otherwise we wouldn't think this question posed by Knight had any meaning at all, it would be like him asking: "Half a dozen, or six - which is better ?"

:D

-Jed

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If Apostles can be picked that way ... :think:
They "arranged" a shortlist of two to draw for, you know?

I bet Matthias and Joseph could have refused to be considered as well...

Dear Stripe,In practical terms, there is a dichotomy between arranged marriage and its alternative.
Of course there is. Else your use of "its alternative" would be illogical. But it is a false dichotomy to say that parents must choose and the child may not refuse for a marriage to be arranged.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
If there were arranged marriages, they should be international. Like, maybe American-Austrian. And clever philosophers should be matched up with hot redheads who've studied English. :noid:

elohiym

They "arranged" a shortlist of two to draw for, you know?

Pffft. Details.

:chuckle:

We'll the Mrs. and I will play match maker, if that's needed. I'm not opposed to arranged marriages generally, just forced marriages, child marriages, and the like.