toldailytopic: Animal testing. Is it morally acceptable to experiment on animals to d

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aimiel

I am terribly conflicted over this issue. I cannot bear to cause harm to living creatures. I am told that animal experimentation is not necessary to further the aims of science to help us heal and be healthy. But I don't know the truth of it. bybee
I am conflicted as well, and have worked on a construction job, years ago, at a testing facility that used mice, rats and monkeys (those were all that I ever saw in the wing of the building that we worked in, which used to be a hospital) and the smell and seeing those animals in cages, room after room of them, being taken care of but never removed from their cages at any length; it took its toll on all of us. Knowing that drugs can get to market years faster, or that human experiments can be avoided altogether because of inherent dangers of a substance that is sent back to the drawing board, I believe it to be well worth the cost in animal suffering and deaths.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
By and large I oppose it. There are more compelling fields of scientific study.

I'm not sure I understand this. Are you saying that the more compelling fields of study are those that don't require, or that we don't use, animals in?

For my answer, I think I'd agree with CabinetMaker the most. I'm okay with some of it and I think some benefits come from it, but there are definitely lines that can be crossed and things that should not be used on animals. A case by case basis.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I meant those who are awaiting those their death sentence or serving a long sentence (in the cases of rape and child molestation).
My point is that they should only be locked up for 24 hours after conviction before being put to death.

Thunder's Muse

I don't buy products that have been tested on Animals. Although, I do understand it's sometimes necessary for scientific/medical purposes, if it causes pain, then I'm against it.

Except on rats. Rats are icky.

Alate_One

I don't buy products that have been tested on Animals. Although, I do understand it's sometimes necessary for scientific/medical purposes, if it causes pain, then I'm against it.

The funny thing people forget about animal experimentation is it yields treatments for ANIMALS too. I don't think we should be inflicting needless pain, especially when it comes to cosmetic testing. But for important research and medical testing it needs to be done.

The amount of regulations governing animal research these days is ridiculous. You have to REALLY want to do it to jump through all the hoops. But because of this laboratory animals in the US are normally treated very well.

Except on rats. Rats are icky.
:rotfl: How about nude mice?

Alate_One

Depends on the product. For example, insulin for diabetics comes from animals.

No it doesn't. Not since the 70s or so. Human insulin is produced by bacteria in large vats (though it has recently been introduced into plants). Pig Insulin is far inferior, I don't think many people use it anymore.

Thunder's Muse

The funny thing people forget about animal experimentation is it yields treatments for ANIMALS too. I don't think we should be inflicting needless pain, especially when it comes to cosmetic testing. But for important research and medical testing it needs to be done.

The amount of regulations governing animal research these days is ridiculous. You have to REALLY want to do it to jump through all the hoops. But because of this laboratory animals in the US are normally treated very well.

Wow. I didn't know that.

Eeewww..nope..that's yucky too.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Today, many corporations do the research overseas. As for graduate school, biological sciences research has more restrictions than necessary and for those high school frogs, they must be tried by a jury of their peers to be croaked.:dead:

koban

They do...Product testing is one of the things I do.

I love animals, especially dogs. We couldn't even bear allowing testing on our deceased doberman, that had bone cancer. A research lab does this for both human and animal benefits. Still...could not do it.

Probably wrong of me but that dog was our "child".

I used to harvest hepatic cells from rats. Once we got the liver out, the anaesthetized rat would be overdosed. I had a lot of conflicted feelings about the job. The bottom line is, though, that many of the advances in modern treatments for high cholesterol and heart disease came out of that research.

Anne

I doubt that Almighty God condones the animal testing that is done on defenseless animals. It also seems to be in line with evolutionary thinking, i.e. that we are simply more evolved animals that are related to other animals. This thinking seems to suggest that tests on animals are actually relevant to the affect that for example a drug would have on us.
All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. 1 Corinthians 15:39

This is an example of disaster that can result after animal testing seemed fine but the volunteers being used to test the drug suffered multiple organ failure and nearly died on just a single dose.

This is what you are advocating if you condone animal testing.

Anne

I doubt that Almighty God condones the animal testing that is done on defenseless animals. It also seems to be in line with evolutionary thinking, i.e. that we are simply more evolved animals that are related to other animals. This thinking seems to suggest that tests on animals are actually relevant to the affect that for example a drug would have on us.
All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds. 1 Corinthians 15:39

This is an example of disaster that can result after animal testing seemed fine but the volunteers being used to test the drug suffered multiple organ failure and nearly died on just a single dose.

This is what you are advocating if you condone animal testing.

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Professor Herman Scholtz, from Parexel, said the clinical research organisation had followed regulatory, medical and clinical research guidelines during the study.

He said: "When the adverse drug reaction occurred, the Parexel clinical pharmacology medical team responded swiftly to stop the study procedures immediately."

He added: "Such an adverse drug reaction occurs extremely rarely and this is an unfortunate and unusual situation.

"Since our unit is located within the hospital, we have immediate access to world-class medical care and we did everything possible to get the patients treated as quickly as possible."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4807042.stm

so?

Sonrise

I used to harvest hepatic cells from rats. Once we got the liver out, the anaesthetized rat would be overdosed. I had a lot of conflicted feelings about the job. The bottom line is, though, that many of the advances in modern treatments for high cholesterol and heart disease came out of that research.

I understand that a lot of good comes from it. For me it's a personal issue. Also, while I know this is sort of off topic, the fact that animals are paid for by the clinics that do this research, has caused animals to be stolen by shysters.

Our dog that I mentioned was in a clinical trial for the drug Proin. It's a drug that causes a weak bladder to tighten for bladder control. It works, but the dogs gums swelled, and I then had a "feeling" I should take her off it. So it was back to diapers. Then she got the bone cancer and I've wondered if it was because of that drug.

Nothing perfect in this world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Negro, I implore you.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Genesis 9

1 So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. 2 And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand.

This Charming Manc

Though im not a strong proponent of animal testing I think you need to understand the difference of import between human life and animal life.

Top claim that all animal life is as important sas human life is both morally bizarre and practically impossible.

It sickens me that you Nazi's even need to ask such a question.

You may as well have asked... Jew testing. Is it morally acceptable to experiment on Jews to develop products and medicines that benefit human beings?

Animals are living, breathing, creatures, that deserve to be protected.

This Charming Manc

No It wont :).

Because its a step away from those who commit other crimes, whose policies disagree with us, or those of different race/religion.

The removal of other peoples humanity is what makes those pople criminals, for society to do the same to them to my mind is an equal serious crime.

Even though I know this answer won't go over well, I am going to say it anyway. My preference for scientific experimentation would be to use inmates that have been convicted of rape, murder and child molestation.

Status
Not open for further replies.