TOL maintenance - thread pruning

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mr. 5020 said:
I'll give you an example: When I joined TOL in the spring of 2002, I participated in a couple of threads, and then didn't post again for a year. When I returned, my post count was 0.

OK, now there are a couple different ways we can delete threads.

One way is to just go to that thread and delete it. When that is done, those posts are subtracted from those users' post counts. (The same is true if we delete individual posts... post counts go down.)

The other way to delete posts is by using a pruning tool in the vB mod/admin control panel. We can do stuff like say, "Prune posts from ‘The Rest’ that haven't been posted in for 11 months", or "Prune all threads that are closed from all forums." Then you can uncheck exceptions from the list before making them actually go bye-bye. In doing this, threads are deleted but post counts are unaffected. However after using this tool, a message comes up saying something like "Now would be a good time to rebuild post counts," and there's a button to do so. If you push the button, everyone's post count is recalculated based on their posts still remaining on the forums.

Knight used to hit that button every time he pruned, and we would go through this mess of having a bunch of people lamenting their post count drop every few months. But for the past two years or so, Knight hasn't been hitting that button.

Knight agreed that it was about time we updated them again, but it was me who suggested it.

One reason was to make it so that new users wouldn't be way behind us old-timers. Another was because, as it was, people's post counts stayed higher after prunings but they still weren't accurate because of past post count updates and because we still delete individual threads here and there. (It's way too tedious to always use the pruner if there's just one or a few threads to delete.)

So at least now the numbers actually do mean something: They represent the number of posts each user has on the board right now.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Turbo said:
Post counts have never reflected the total number of posts that everyone has ever made.

No, but they were closer to reality before you pruned. I'm guessing I probably have posted at least 50,000 times over the years, I have been pruned more than once! :shocked:

:idea: I better update my signature!

Because if we did away with them you'd be heartbroken. :em:

:)

Not really. It seems kinda silly to make a big deal about the number of posts a person has and accentuate that with shiny stars if it doesn't even come close to representing actual posts made.

But I'll just keep track with my Signature. :devil:

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just so you all know.... we will occasionally prune threads and reset post counts to keep our database clean, fit and running smooth.

TOL is not designed for spam. That isn't to say we do not allow spam because we do. All I am saying is be prepared to have your post count adjusted at least once a year or so.

TOL is designed for political and religious debate, not spam.

That being said.... spam can be kinda fun so we do allow it within spam threads but we DO NOT cater to :spam: and therefore your posts counts will be reset on occasion.