ECT This should start a decent discussion: Universal Atonement

jsjohnnt

Let me ask you all a question: can you all put into words the difference between “universal atonement” and “universal salvation?” That seems to be a critical question.

Let me begin: atonement is the reconciliation of God to mankind via Jesus Christ. It is centered in the very existence of Christ as God. The Messiah of God was all about reconciliation; reconciliation was and is an outgrowth of His very nature.

Salvation, on the other hand, is not a divinely existential consideration, but a judgment, as we believe, of God in Christ when our thoughts will be judge on that “last day" (Romans 2:14).

The problem some are having on this thread (and this is only my opinion), is this: we conflate the two issues, universal atonement with universal salvation, not realizing that the former is the product of the being of God (there was no option for God in Christ but to reconcile all of his creation to Himself Col 1:20) while "salvation" is the produce of a divinely held judgment. The two are not the same. But, just as the prodigal chose not to continue in the faithfulness of his father, we too can walk away from the blessings and faithfulness of our Creator (Col 1:23). While reconciliation is universal (again, Col 1:20) and the salvation that is attached to this work of God, we can choose to walk away. The prodigal could not escape the faithfulness of his father but he could walk away from that father’s trust and faithful.

Still, the father stood on the porch, every day, filled with unconditional hope for his wondering son. Reconciliation was never an issue with the Father. And the father already had plans for this wayward child, if the boy would only see how worthless his life was without his father. Both reconciliation and salvation, in this case, were unconditional and beyond the efforts of either son save for the fact that the family members, wherever they might be, must continue as “family” and, in that sense, must always be “returning” to their father (we might call this “obedience”).

Anyway, that is how I see the difference between the two issues, yet, allowing for them to be inexorably “joined at the hip.” If we understand that “obedience” is only and always best defined as our “returning” to God and God in Christ, then we can see how incidental is our obedience and how profoundly universal is God’s atonement.

Update
: to Totton Linnet and the Greek Guy, I did not mean to ignore your recent posts. Its just that I have been working on this post, my post, for several hours, and when I came to publish, you good folks had beat me to the punch. And maybe my thoughts are not all that critical to this thread.

I do thank 5280 for the thread, and the opportunity taken for me to get my thinking reconciled to "reconciliation."

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Let me ask you all a question: can you all put into words the difference between “universal atonement” and “universal salvation?” That seems to be a critical question.

The "critical" question is: does Christ's atonement, absolutely save?

What say you?

Let me begin: atonement is the reconciliation of God to mankind via Jesus Christ. It is centered in the very existence of Christ as God. The Messiah of God was all about reconciliation; reconciliation was and is an outgrowth of His very nature.

Salvation, on the other hand, is not a divinely existential consideration, but a judgment, as we believe, of God in Christ when our thoughts will be judge on that “last day" (Romans 2:14).

So . . . your conclusion is: Christ's atonement is only a potential (temporal) means of "reconciling sinners" with God, according to their works, versus His will and His grace?

Arsenios

Jesus didn't say the narrow path was the harder to walk, He said it was harder to find. The Jesus way is a way of joy and victory to the one who finds it.

He tells us that the Gate is narrow, and the Way is afflicted, troubled, and distressed, as in grapes being pressed for juice to make wine... The Greek word is τεθλιμμενη and the Strong's number is 5772... You can look it up for yourself...

There are few walking in victory because they are fighting the wrong fight against the wrong enemy.

It is because the Gate is narrow, and the Way is that of afflictions...

Paul pummelled his flesh to keep it under. I understand that 180 degrees differently to you. I think the flesh and the mind of the flesh is extremely boastful and proud, this is not an attack on you but upon the doctrine.

He was given a satanic thorn in his flesh, because of the abundance of his visions, lest he think too highly of himself...

I come to the place where I KNOW I cannot win this war against sin, that is in my flesh ...you have not come to that place.

You do not know the place where I have come in my struggle against sin... Nor do I know yours...

You're still struggling to subdue it in the flesh.

Simple vigilance... Was Paul still struggling to subdue sin in his flesh as he was pummelling it [your term]...??? Why was he doing that, and when?

When and if we come to the place where we understand that this battle is too big for us then we cry to the Lord and He is pleased to show us where the victory is.

That is true... Victory comes when we cry to the Lord... And we need to know HOW to cry... Did not Paul ask thrice that it be taken from him? Did the Lord take it from him?

They overcame the devil by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony. They washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. That is the only victory on offer and it was the Lord who trod that winepress alone.

Then why was Paul pummelling his own flesh, and not as a shadow boxer beating the air?

He will not share His glory with you.

He does all the time...

You say we must turn to God for help...the bible does not speak thus concerning sin. It speaks about deliverance.

It speaks of our repentance...

But you never DO overcome, you only talk about overcoming. It is as you say a lifelong struggle.

"And with patience let us run the race set before us..." [Paul] A race is a contest of contending... With what are we contending? Theological IDEAS???

As we both agree WE cannot overcome, but there is One who has, He hasn't overcome on His own behalf, He overcame on our behalf. He now IMPARTS that victory to us freely....but you have got to take it.

And it is taken in the forceful repentance of denial of self and the daily taking up of one's own cross to follow Christ...

First you have to see it.

That vision is given in Baptism into Christ...

You do not lecture the devil,

He is past learning... Lecturing him is a silly idea...

are you sure he has not been lecturing you?

With every worldly temptation... His iconography is on billboards and TV and Computer screens everywhere... The Way of Salvation is afflicted, just as Matthew 7:14 quotes Christ telling us...

some of those nice sermons?.....

They are sweet to taste, and turn bitter once ingested, and are filled with death... Overcoming them in afflictions is my great Joy...

Arsenios

Arsenios

We all get everlasting life, the presence of Christ... And for some it will be heaven, and for others it will be hell, according to our deeds on earth...

Let me begin: atonement is the reconciliation of God to mankind via Jesus Christ.

I think it is exactly the reverse: eg It is reconciliation of man to God... It is man, not God, who is in NEED of reconciliation... It is man who is dead and needs Life... It is God who HAS Life... And He GIVES Life to each of us according as our state of being and doing permit...

Arsenios

jsjohnnt

We all get everlasting life, the presence of Christ... And for some it will be heaven, and for others it will be hell, according to our deeds on earth...

I think it is exactly the reverse: eg It is reconciliation of man to God... It is man, not God, who is in NEED of reconciliation... It is man who is dead and needs Life... It is God who HAS Life... And He GIVES Life to each of us according as our state of being and doing permit...

Arsenios
I understand that the order of things, in this case, is important to you. And I would not argue the point. But, in reconciliation, God approached man, he drew man to Himself via the Cross. Certainly man had the need, but God approached man, and, thus the reconciliation was God to man. I don't see this as untrue.

If you and I are estranged, and I come to your house, and seek reconciliation I am reconciling myself to you. Christ as God, became like us, in every way, so that he could help us . . . . . In other words, God humbles himself, takes on the form of man, so that man, as man, can experience reconciliation. To me, that is God reconciling Himself to us, to our flesh and blood, to our suffering, to our need for help.

jsjohnnt

He tells us that the Gate is narrow, and the Way is afflicted, troubled, and distressed, as in grapes being pressed for juice to make wine... The Greek word is τεθλιμμενη and the Strong's number is 5772... You can look it up for yourself...

Arsenios
when Christ said, "and few there be who find it," (Matthew 7:14), I believe he was talking about a Jewish circumstance. The picture of the heavenly scene in Revelations, is that of a population, in heaven, beyond our ability to count. Do not sound like "few" to me . . . . but the Jewish community has almost entirely reject Jesus as Christ, even to this day. As a matter of fact, they are often abusive about it.

jsjohnnt

The "critical" question is: does Christ's atonement, absolutely save?

What say you?

So . . . your conclusion is: Christ's atonement is only a potential (temporal) means of "reconciling sinners" with God, according to their works, versus His will and His grace?
Personally, I do not believe in universal salavtion, but I do believe in universal atonement. Walking away from God and walking back, when we realize that our lives are pathetic when lived by our own power, apart from God, is not my definition of "works." God in Christ has atoned for all of mankind, but if we walk away from the Father as did the prodigal, well, I just might die in the pig pen.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

It is because the Gate is narrow, and the Way is that of afflictions...

He was given a satanic thorn in his flesh, because of the abundance of his visions, lest he think too highly of himself...

You do not know the place where I have come in my struggle against sin... Nor do I know yours...

Simple vigilance... Was Paul still struggling to subdue sin in his flesh as he was pummelling it [your term]...??? Why was he doing that, and when?

That is true... Victory comes when we cry to the Lord... And we need to know HOW to cry... Did not Paul ask thrice that it be taken from him? Did the Lord take it from him?

Then why was Paul pummelling his own flesh, and not as a shadow boxer beating the air?

He does all the time...

It speaks of our repentance...

"And with patience let us run the race set before us..." [Paul] A race is a contest of contending... With what are we contending? Theological IDEAS???

And it is taken in the forceful repentance of denial of self and the daily taking up of one's own cross to follow Christ...

That vision is given in Baptism into Christ...

He is past learning... Lecturing him is a silly idea...

With every worldly temptation... His iconography is on billboards and TV and Computer screens everywhere... The Way of Salvation is afflicted, just as Matthew 7:14 quotes Christ telling us...

They are sweet to taste, and turn bitter once ingested, and are filled with death... Overcoming them in afflictions is my great Joy...

Arsenios

I see the pride of the flesh set out doctrinally, it's all about you. I don't make that as a personal remark to you but it is what the doctrine is and you have it full grown.

This is the flesh that Paul pummelled to keep it down.

Our boast is all of the Lord and what He has done, for us, in us, and through us. This indeed brings afflictiction upon us, tribulation, it is the tribulation of persecution.

The devil fights our doctrine.

He knows he is defeated at Calvary, he knows he has to back off one who understands the cross. But he has no fear about fighting puny you or puny me in our own strength...he has always won that fight...hence your life long struggle.

I had a struggle

It is the struggle to BELIEVE God's word, that is the fight of faith. All the evidence was on the devil's side.

Here was my victory when it came. "I have been crucified with Christ, I live no longer me but Christ liveth in me and the life that I now live I live by the faith of the Son of God."

Jesu's way is a way of peace, resting, it is a way of joy and gladness of heart. "Come unto Me all ye that do labour and are heavy laden take My yoke upon you. I am lowly of heart, My burden is light and My yoke is easy and you shall find rest for your souls."

Your religion [like Catholicism] is set up to catch men from coming to Christ...it turns people away.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Personally, I do not believe in universal salavtion, but I do believe in universal atonement. Walking away from God and walking back, when we realize that our lives are pathetic when lived by our own power, apart from God, is not my definition of "works." God in Christ has atoned for all of mankind, but if we walk away from the Father as did the prodigal, well, I just might die in the pig pen.

There is a third way, which I believe is the truth. It is not limited atonement [for which no scripture can be found] but it is Particular Redemption achieved by the active working power of the Holy Ghost when the gospel is preached. He opens the hearts of some to believe but passes by others.

But here we remember Paul also who must have heard Stephen speak with wisdom which no man could resist, by whom great signs and wonders were done, whose face lit up like an angel and against who Saul/Paul gnashed upon with his teeth....so God had a time for Paul.

So when we preach and some are saved but others not we do not despair.

But God is not going to save tares, or vipers, or goats.....that is what the church must learn.

TFTn5280

Originally Posted by jsjohnnt

There is a third way, which I believe is the truth. It is not limited atonement [for which no scripture can be found] but it is Particular Redemption achieved by the active working power of the Holy Ghost when the gospel is preached.

Thanks again for your participation. I have a question for you both. Can a believer who has received the surety of the Holy Spirit, walk away from his or her salvation and ultimately be "lost"? I will reserve my thoughts for now. Again, thanks.

TFTn5280

By the way, the "few" who pass through the narrow gate is ONE, Jesus Christ. He is the only one who could pass through that gate, and he did, and he brought all who were in him with him through it. No one was excepted, some will awake in glorification to "heaven," others to meet the second death ~ this alone sans a savior ~ but none can escape the resurrection which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. If Christ did not die for all, why are all raised in his resurrection? Is there another that we don't know about, another conqueror over death of whom we're unaware? There is no "limited" in atonement. When Christ died, he changed the nature of death forever. The grave does not get to hold any of us any longer. We are all included in his resurrection. How appropriate in this season of remembrance!

Last edited:

TFTn5280

Let me begin: ...

I would like to see this too. There has been many remarks about universalism but few have posted as to what the difference or inclusion is between the two.

I will post mine after I see some of yours, as I have some definite thoughts relative to the two.

jsjohnnt

Thanks again for your participation. I have a question for you both. Can a believer who has received the surety of the Holy Spirit, walk away from his or her salvation and ultimately be "lost"? I will reserve my thoughts for now. Again, thanks.
Hebrews 10:26 -31 allows for the loss of one who was saved, or, at least, one who was once a participant in all the blessings of atonement. Verse 26 suggests that continual sin is a rejection of God’s provisions, if we consider the v 28 as “context” for verse 26.

While the Hebrew writer frames the harshness of God’s judgment, as some would read verses 30 and 31, I believe that this judgment is only “fearful” because it is final; it is not “fearful” because some are lost who hoped to be saved.

The implied disciple, in verse 26, has decided to return to his squalor, and has chosen that as his lifestyle. Like the prodigal’s father, our Father, will allow this decision to be final.

John 3:18 tells us, “if we are disbelievers, we are condemned already.” Romans 2 gives us the reality that a person can live “the life” without knowing the teachings of Truth, and find himself justified on the Final Day (Ro 2:16). And James combines personal faith with effort (works). All this is to say that God honors all men with his act of reconciliation, in Christ, that this function of God works for all, whether or not they have been given the Truth, but there is no sacrifice that repairs a man’s “destiny” if he chooses to service his sinful nature to the exclusion of God’s presence.

Romans 7:25 suggests that we never escape – on a personal/existential level – our own sinful proclivity. The struggle between our flesh and our mind, however frustrating, is proof that we are alive in Christ. There is therefore, no condemnation for those in Christ.

It is a truth buried in dialectic, that, although the Living Christ is everywhere and in all things via reconciliation, we can walk away from him.

jsjohnnt

There is a third way, which I believe is the truth. It is not limited atonement [for which no scripture can be found] but it is Particular Redemption achieved by the active working power of the Holy Ghost when the gospel is preached. He opens the hearts of some to believe but passes by others.

But here we remember Paul also who must have heard Stephen speak with wisdom which no man could resist, by whom great signs and wonders were done, whose face lit up like an angel and against who Saul/Paul gnashed upon with his teeth....so God had a time for Paul.

So when we preach and some are saved but others not we do not despair.

But God is not going to save tares, or vipers, or goats.....that is what the church must learn.
Your first paragraph, above, seems to say that "God works in the proclamation of his word," something I believe.

However, atonement is not limited, in my opinion. Rather, it a reality for all of God's creation as per Col 1:15 ff. As I have written in this thread, "atonement" and "salvation" are two very different things.

While I can agree with your terminology (i.e. "Particular Redemption"), I certainly do not believe that God passes on some without regard to thier willingness to participate in the blessings of [universal}] atonement. To be sure, God "condemns" some, but never those who are believers at some level. Those he "passes over," are reprobate and simply do not want a life beyond the grave. Matt 7:7 and 8 pretty much says what I am trying to present.

jsjohnnt

By the way, the "few" who pass through the narrow gate is ONE, Jesus Christ. He is the only one who could pass through that gate, and he did, and he brought all who were in him with him through it. No one was excepted, some will awake in glorification to "heaven," others to meet the second death ~ this alone sans a savior ~ but none can escape the resurrection which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. If Christ did not die for all, why are all raised in his resurrection? Is there another that we don't know about, another conqueror over death of whom we're unaware? There is no "limited" in atonement. When Christ died, he changed the nature of death forever. The grave does not get to hold any of us any longer. We are all included in his resurrection. How appropriate in this season of remembrance!
I would argue that the "few," if singular in the gk, is a reference to Israel.

TFTn5280

I would argue that the "few," if singular in the gk, is a reference to Israel.

Why? If not Jesus Christ and him only, then who beside him is able to find that gate, who worthy to pass through it, who able to walk that straight path? Who other than Jesus? It seems to me that you of all of us should be able to answer this question.

jsjohnnt

Why? If not Jesus Christ and him only, then who beside him is able to find that gate, who worthy to pass through it, who able to walk that straight path? Who other than Jesus? It seems to me that you of all of us should be able to answer this question.
While "gate' may be Christ (and probably is), the "few" are the ones within the Jewish community, who find it [him]. Again, I believe that Christ, here in Matthew 7:14, is talking about his rejection by the "chosen of God," the Jews. I do not believe that "gate" and "few" are reference the same and single person of Christ.

To answer your question, in short: "context" my good friend, context as I understand "context" in this passage.

TFTn5280

While "gate' may be Christ (and probably is), the "few" are the ones within the Jewish community, who find it [him]. Again, I believe that Christ, here in Matthew 7:14, is talking about his rejection by the "chosen of God," the Jews. I do not believe that "gate" and "few" are reference the same and single person of Christ.

To answer your question, in short: "context" my good friend, context as I understand "context" in this passage.

Christ said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one..."

I gave you opportunity to come along side me and to teach to others what you know to be true. Barth "gets" it and so do you. I think what you don't understand, my good friend, ...is pride.

jsjohnnt

Christ said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one..."

I gave you opportunity to come along side me and to teach to others what you know to be true. Barth "gets" it and so do you. I think what you don't understand, my good friend, ...is pride.
What, pray tell, has this to do with exegesis? You do know I am talking about "few" and not "gate," right?

TFTn5280

What, pray tell, has this to do with exegesis? You do know I am talking about "few" and not "gate," right?

I know that the few is a reference to the social contruct prevalent in that day, a reference to the many in the one, he being that one, the many or, said another way, the all, were included in him (their ontological status included in his ontology, see Col 1.17). He alone was qualified to pass through that gate, and he alone able to walk that straight path which led to life (in Matthew) or salvation (in Luke), the salvation of the all. For more on the one and the many, the many in the one see my commentary of Romans 5.15-19 found close to the beginning of this thread. Ya really ought to read it.

I take back what I said about pride. You really didn't get it. My apologies.

Last edited: