Thieves should be shot - not jailed.

Hilltrot

The punishment for theft should be restitution
If I successfully rob 2 people and get caught once, I still would be ahead. Generally, thieves get away with dozens of thefts before getting caught.

So your method would fail to deter thieves. It might encourage them.

Right Divider

Body part
If I successfully rob 2 people and get caught once, I still would be ahead. Generally, thieves get away with dozens of thefts before getting caught.
So thieves need to be murdered because we might not know about all of their thefts?
Perhaps we should just kill everyone. That might discourage them from theft.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Had an expensive 10 speed bicycle stolen from my driveway when I lived in the city. The thief walked 60 feet up my driveway to the back of the house right past the open kitchen window where my wife and my sister and I were standing there talking. It was around 4:30, I had just got home from work. I was furious. Hopped in the car and drove the main roads for probly 20 minutes looking for it. Not sure what I would have done if I'd seen somebody riding it. Probably would have tried to run them over.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If I successfully rob

Just fyi, "robbery" and "theft" are (historically, at least) different things.

Robbery implies force or intimidation was used in order to commit the crime. It is the use of force that makes it robbery.

2 people and get caught once, I still would be ahead.

In our current system, that is probably true.

However, in God's criminal justice system, you would be forced to pay, at the very least, double what you stole, from each person, to each of the people you stole from.

For example, if you stole a TV from one person, and you used the car that you stole from the second person to do so, you would be forced to return both, and either pay the dollar amount back of each item to the owners of said items, or give them the same value items in addition to their own property back.

In other words, you'd be out the stolen goods, and likely the money to buy similarly priced items.

And if you couldn't buy or provide those items, or return the dollar amount, you'd probably have to sell off things until you could pay the victims back.

Not worth it at all.

Generally, thieves get away with dozens of thefts before getting caught.

Indeed, because our current system has taken to letting thieves just steal without consequence.

The current system does. God's does not.

If only we lived in a theocracy . . .

Well, no, we wouldn't have to live in a theocracy for such laws to exist.

It's called theonomy.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
There is also the principle of repeat offenders. 3 strikes and you're dead. After two felonies if a criminal knows that the 3rd felony will result in his execution, yet he has so little self-control that he just can't restrain himself from committing that third felony then it is obvious he will never stop. Why should law abiding citizens be forced to continue to put up with him?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The punishment for theft should be death.
"Do unto other as you would have them do unto you."

Do you think that the golden rule is a good idea?

If not then you're a complete idiot and not worth any more of anyone's time but if so, then it might interest you to know that the golden rule is the basis for all justice. Justice is simply the other side of the same coin.

The reason why executing thieves would be unjust is because the punishment does not fit the crime. Instead of execution or mutilation or some other hideous punishment, a thief should, in most cases, be made to restore what he stole and then pay restitution. That way it is done unto the criminal as he has done to his neighbor. That's what justice is; doing unto the criminal as he has done (or sought to do) to his neighbor.

There are exceptions to this, by the way. For example, habitual criminals who simply refuse to obey the law no matter what anyone does to them should indeed be executed but in such a case, the death penalty is really a punishment for something that goes beyond theft. Another example would be if the thief is unable either to make his victim whole or to pay the appropriate resitution. In such cases there are other courses of action that we can get into if you want but the point here is that the restoration of the stolen property and paying a 1x restitution is just the simplest punishment that applies in general cases of theft.

Also, the fact that you are the victim of theft and therefore want thieves executed is precisely the reason why it isn't a good idea for people with conflicts of interest to make such decisions. I'm all for allowing a criminal's victims to participate in a criminal's punishment but they should have no role in determining what that punishment is.

You are the victim of more than just a thief. You've also been victimized by a society that hasn't any idea what justice looks like and so you understandably think that it's a forgone conclusion that thieves almost always get away with it and would do so in any system so long as the punishment for the crime were anything other than death. But replacing one unjust system with another is no solution. If a system is permitted to have unjust laws that don't come after you, what's to keep them from having unjust laws that do come after you? The wiser course is to discover what actual justice is and advocate that! Otherwise, you're just another form of criminal.

Clete

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
"Do unto other as you would have them do unto you."

Do you think that the golden rule is a good idea?

If not then you're a complete idiot and not worth any more of anyone's time but if so, then it might interest you to know that the golden rule is the basis for all justice. Justice is simply the other side of the same coin.

The reason why executing thieves would be unjust is because the punishment does not fit the crime. Instead of execution or mutilation or some other hideous punishment, a thief should, in most cases, be made to restore what he stole and then pay restitution. That way it is done unto the criminal as he has done to his neighbor. That's what justice is; doing unto the criminal as he has done (or sought to do) to his neighbor.

There are exceptions to this, by the way. For example, habitual criminals who simply refuse to obey the law no matter what anyone does to them should indeed be executed but in such a case, the death penalty is really a punishment for something that goes beyond theft. Another example would be if the thief is unable either to make his victim whole or to pay the appropriate resitution. In such cases there are other courses of action that we can get into if you want but the point here is that the restoration of the stolen property and paying a 1x restitution is just the simplest punishment that applies in general cases of theft.

Also, the fact that you are the victim of theft and therefore want thieves executed is precisely the reason why it isn't a good idea for people with conflicts of interest to make such decisions. I'm all for allowing a criminal's victims to participate in a criminal's punishment but they should have no role in determining what that punishment is.

You are the victim of more than just a thief. You've also been victimized by a society that hasn't any idea what justice looks like and so you understandably think that it's a forgone conclusion that thieves almost always get away with it and would do so in any system so long as the punishment for the crime were anything other than death. But replacing one unjust system with another is no solution. If a system is permitted to have unjust laws that don't come after you, what's to keep them from having unjust laws that do come after you? The wiser course is to discover what actual justice is and advocate that! Otherwise, you're just another form of criminal.

Clete
All of the things that I have had stolen over the years boats, trailers, 10 speed bicycle as I recounted above and other things, only one has been recovered, an ATV that the neighbor kid took that was recovered the next day.

Fast forward 3 years and the same kid is now in prison in Florida for being involved in a drug related murder.

Right Divider

Body part
All of the things that I have had stolen over the years boats, trailers, 10 speed bicycle as I recounted above and other things, only one has been recovered, an ATV that the neighbor kid took that was recovered the next day.

Fast forward 3 years and the same kid is now in prison in Florida for being involved in a drug related murder.
Often times, criminals to not limit their criminal activities to just one thing. And sometimes they progress from bad to worse.