The Trinity

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Jesus, Peter, and Paul each named the Father, Son, and Spirit in one sentence.

Matthew 28:19 KJV
1st Peter 1:2 KJV
2 Corinthians 13:14 KJV

There are two propositions regarding the Trinity; "God is the Trinity," and its negation, that, "It is not the case that God is the Trinity."

I will use the term 'unitarian' to signify the latter proposition, and 'Catholic' to signify the former proposition.

Both of these signifiers 'unitarian' and 'Catholic' are examples of the 'straw man' informal fallacy. I say that now, so that all those Unitarians who wish to argue will know already that I already admit that I've committed a straw man fallacy, and the same for all those Trinitarians who are not Catholic.

Straw man.

That the Father, Son, and Spirit are enumerated in one sentence shows distinction between the Father, Son, and Spirit. That there are three of these sentences in the New Testament underscores that distinction. That these three sentences originated from Jesus, Peter, and Paul further underscores it.

Unitarians themselves admit that there is a distinction between the Father and the Son, and also they admit that the Spirit and God are united in some way.

Therefore "God is the Trinity."

I know what you're going to say---straw man.

Idolater

So, zero traction? Not quite. For whatever reason a user who apparently wishes to remain even more anonymous than is already provided on an anonymous internet discussion board, sent me a pm instead of just posting it here in the thread, so I'll do them the favor and simultaneously bump my own thread, by copying and pasting it, maintaining this user's anonymity at great length.
? said:
I don't think the arguement you made that Matthew 28:19, 1 Peter 1:2 and 2 Corinthians 13:14 prove that God is a trinity is a good one. Just because all three were mentioned in one sentence doesn't proof that the Father, Son or HS are all one who are co-equal and co-eternal, the verses [simply] mention three[, (and I do not believe the HS is a person)] and that is all.
(That's the best I could do while honoring this user's anonymity.)

My argument is that the Father, Son, and Spirit being mentioned all together in one sentence, three different times in three different places in the Scripture, by three different people, proves distinction between the Father, Son, and Spirit---not unity. Furthermore my argument for the distinction between the Father and Son particularly, is based on the unitarian proposition that "Jesus is not God the Father," and my argument for unity, is based on the unitarian proposition that the Spirit is united /One with God in some sense, which all unitarians readily confess, along with that Jesus is not God the Father.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There is another thread of the same title with over 24,000 replies. You may want to look at it.

Idolater

The Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit are enumerated in one sentence three times in the New Testament.

That demonstrates distinction between the three Persons.

Whenever a non-Trinitarian makes the straw man fallacy error concerning the Trinity it is usually because they don't understand that the Trinity is three distinct Persons, and not just one person. God is three Persons.

Non-Trinitarians commonly have no problem with the idea of "con-substantial," which means, predicated of two terms, that the two terms signify the numerically same individual substance, which is an individual of a genus and of a species. Yahweh the Individual, His genus is deities, His species is Himself, and Yahweh is One substance. Non-Trinitarians readily admit, that the Holy Spirit and the Father are con-substantial.

I'm just taking the Bible, and what non-Trinitarians say to prove the Trinity.

The Father and the Holy Spirit are consubstantial. The Trinity is that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are consubstantial, and that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are distinct.

Last edited:

Idolater

... The Trinity is that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are consubstantial, and that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are distinct.
Oh, and that the Trinity is God, and that God is the Trinity.