The Pittsburg Pirates are back, tetelestai?!

The Berean

And the Royals are only 3 games out of the second Wildcard! It's unlikely then can close the gap in less than week but not impossible. :D

kmoney

Hall of Fame
And the Royals are only 3 games out of the second Wildcard! It's unlikely then can close the gap in less than week but not impossible. :D

Yeah, I've given up hope on KC but I'm still very happy with this season. :banana:

Pittsburgh will be my main rooting interest in the playoffs.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Pittsburgh Pirates are in the postseason for the first time since 1992! Congrats to the Pirates and their long suffering fans.

Pirates are in the playoffs, and the Steelers are 0-3.

I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Pirates won the wild card game, now it's on to St. Louis for a best of five series.

I was worried about playing the Reds in the post-season. The Reds and Pirates had met 5 times prior to last night, and the Reds won every time except 1979

1970 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

1972 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

1976 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

1979 Pirates beat Reds in NLCS

1990 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

The Berean

Pirates won the wild card game, now it's on to St. Louis for a best of five series.

I was worried about playing the Reds in the post-season. The Reds and Pirates had met 5 times prior to last night, and the Reds won every time except 1979

1970 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

1972 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

1976 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS

1979 Pirates beat Reds in NLCS

1990 Reds beat Pirates in NLCS
Well, the current Reds are most certainly not the Big Red Machine. Also, in 1972 the Pirates had the lead going in the bottom of the 9th inning in game 5. The Pirates relief pitching imploded and lost the game. This loss must have really irked the Pirates since they were the defending World Series champions.

The Berean

I liked the Pirates in '79, with Willie Startrek and Sister Sledge.

I assume you mean Willie Stargell?

Stargell1979a_zps88093348.jpg

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Also, in 1972 the Pirates had the lead going in the bottom of the 9th inning in game 5. The Pirates relief pitching imploded and lost the game.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

The Pirates were leading 3-2 going into the bottom of the ninth. Johnny Bench hit a solo homer that tied it, and then the Reds scored the winning run on a wild pitch by Bob Moose.

That was the last game Roberto Clemente ever played.

I was 8 years old, and went upstairs to my room and cried because I was so upset.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Pirates bounced back and evened the series today.

It's now a best of three series, and the Pirates now have the home field advantage at one of the best ballparks in the country.

Pittsburgh-Pirates-ballpa-001.jpg

john w

Hall of Fame

It's now a best of three series, and the Pirates now have the home field advantage at one of the best ballparks in the country.

Gee, wimpy, where do you come up with these nuggets? Such brilliance.

The Berean

PNC Park finally gets a postseason game! Glad to see it happen. I'm cheering for a Pirates vs A's World Series. :p

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
PNC Park finally gets a postseason game! Glad to see it happen. I'm cheering for a Pirates vs A's World Series. :p

So far the Pirates are undefeated at PNC Park in the postseason.

BTW, Andrew McCutchen has 7 hits in 4 postseason games so far this year. That's the same about of hits Barry Bonds had over two years and 13 games as a Pirate in 1991 & 1992.