The Parable of the Prodigal Son

daqq

Dcon said it, and I agree COMPLETELY with him. Everything from post #15 on was unnecessary.

I did answer the question by saying that the parable was simply an illustration, a way of telling a story with a moral. To take it any further would require speculation on our part and would be completely irrelevant. The simple fact is the Bible doesn't say anything more than the son's inheritance ran out, he returned home, his father was overjoyed and his brother thought he should have been treated better.
Nothing to see here; move along.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

And in so doing you and dcon deny the truth and bury your heads in the sand.
As already referenced in my previous post:

Matthew 13:34-35 ASV
34 All these things spake Jesus in parables unto the multitudes; and without a parable spake he nothing unto them:
35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.
(Psa78:2)

If you reject the full pleroma and understanding of the parables and sayings of Messiah then you reject the very Wisdom of Elohim. How can you even expect to enter into the kingdom of Elohim without searching out the deep things of the parables, proverbs, allegories, idioms, sayings, and teachings of the Master recorded for your benefit in the Gospel accounts, (Mat6:33)?

iouae

[/COLOR]If you reject the full pleroma and understanding of the parables and sayings of Messiah then you reject the very Wisdom of Elohim. How can you even expect to enter into the kingdom of Elohim without searching out the deep things of the parables, proverbs, allegories, idioms, sayings, and teachings of the Master recorded for your benefit in the Gospel accounts, (Mat6:33)?

Daqq, there is "Nothing to see here; move along." :)

dcon

BANNED
Banned
And in so doing you and dcon deny the truth and bury your heads in the sand.
As already referenced in my previous post:

Matthew 13:34-35 ASV
34 All these things spake Jesus in parables unto the multitudes; and without a parable spake he nothing unto them:
35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken through the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.
(Psa78:2)

If you reject the full pleroma and understanding of the parables and sayings of Messiah then you reject the very Wisdom of Elohim. How can you even expect to enter into the kingdom of Elohim without searching out the deep things of the parables, proverbs, allegories, idioms, sayings, and teachings of the Master recorded for your benefit in the Gospel accounts, (Mat6:33)?
One more time Here it is, short and sweet. The Prodigal represents someone who has been expelled from the congregation for a gross sin. His brother pictures those in the congregation who committed no gross sin and remained in the fold. His father is God who is over joyed by his sheep's repentance and return to the congregation. The others are upset because they committed no sin, but the Prodigal was the center of his Father's attention. No purpose is gained by complicating the issue any further. You obviously learned something new to me. Woo hoo for you.

iouae

Says the one who savors only the things that be of men. :)

There was a poster called Daqq
Who developed an incredible nack
Of overanalysing to much
Saying it says such-and-such
In a manner thats hard to keep track.

daqq

There was a poster called Daqq
Who developed an incredible nack
Of overanalysing to much
Saying it says such-and-such
In a manner thats hard to keep track.

There once was a poster called vowels
He would not consume the Word into his bowels
For he claimed that parables have only one meaning
And no doubt unto his own mind he was leaning
If anyone said from the Word such-and-such
He replied, You over-analyze such-and-such way too much

Then one day he returned on his way home to his Father
And his Father who loved him rushed him and kissed him on the neck
His eyes seeing all things according to the natural man melted in their sockets
His tongue speaking all things according to the flesh melted in his mouth
And as he stood on his feet he was melted
Like silver and gold he was smelted
For our Father is a consuming fire!
And the fattened calf was slain. :)

:sheep:

Last edited:

iouae

That was a good tale Daqq told
It reminds of a story quite old
We’ve all been the one
That prodigal son
The Father came running to hold

The older son with the miserable face
Would extend his own brother no grace
The Father by contrast had joy
At the return of His little boy
Nothing else in this story takes place.

If everyone was not so headstrong
We'd be done with this verbal ping-pong
The Father killed the fatted calf
We have all had a good laugh

daqq

We’ve all been the one
That prodigal son

Hmmm, I did not actually mean it that way at the end, it is just what follows: perhaps I could have better said, "And then the fatted calf was slain", for the Father commands His servants to slay the fatted calf, which is of course, the foreigner or stranger of that far-away land whom the prodigal son had cleaved unto or joined himself unto, kinda like excess baggage or a fellow sojourner, lol, but definitely needing to be circumcised or cut away, and thus, slain. If you give up the fatted calf and the goat; are you not like a junior kohen at the beginning of his training? Kiss the Son, lest he be a little heated and you perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. :chuckle:

Last edited:

dcon

BANNED
Banned
We’ve all been the one
That prodigal son

[emoji16][emoji23]🤣[emoji28][emoji38]Anymore and you're going to have to send me a bill for all of the fun I'm having!!!

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Hmmm, I did not actually mean it that way at the end, it is just what follows: perhaps I could have better said, "And then the fatted calf was slain", for the Father commands His servants to slay the fatted calf, which is of course, the foreigner or stranger of that far-away land whom the prodigal son had cleaved unto or joined himself unto, kinda like excess baggage or a fellow sojourner, lol, but definitely needing to be circumcised or cut away, and thus, slain. If you give up the fatted calf and the goat; are you not like a junior kohen at the beginning of his training? Kiss the Son, lest he be a little heated and you perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. :chuckle:
It gets kind of confusing when you don't remember what you thought you said previously.

glorydaz

One more time Here it is, short and sweet. The Prodigal represents someone who has been expelled from the congregation for a gross sin. His brother pictures those in the congregation who committed no gross sin and remained in the fold. His father is God who is over joyed by his sheep's repentance and return to the congregation. The others are upset because they committed no sin, but the Prodigal was the center of his Father's attention. No purpose is gained by complicating the issue any further. You obviously learned something new to me. Woo hoo for you.

Oh really? When was the prodigal EXPELLED, and what was his "gross sin".

Why people form their opinions on faulty premises ....to come up with a "nothing to see here" mantra is more than slightly amusing. :chuckle:

glorydaz

You are choosing to over analyze the parable. I could care less about any deeper meaning. Jesus's parables were popular with the people of his time, because they were simple and easy to understand

If they were so simple why did Jesus have to explain them to the Disciples?

Matt. 15:5-16 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. 16 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?

Matt. 13:13
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Luke 8:9-11 And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? 10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand. 11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.

daqq

I have. It's you who seems to be lingering like some kind of pervert.

No, you are not being honest with yourself, you have not moved on because here you are lingering and continuing to post even though it was you who said there is nothing to see here. And even worse, I was still speaking in terms of the parable and its meaning; and for that you accuse me of lingering and being "like some kind of pervert." All you have done is reveal that you are a hypocrite and false accuser with three fingers pointing back at yourself. And what is on those three fingers pointing back at you? Mormon? JW? Mammon lover? Pervert? and how many of those can I be wrong about? :chuckle:

Danoh

The intended meaning of that parable is made obvious when one traces out the flow or recurrent pattern of His thought throughout prior to; during; and after; said parable.

The Father in that parable represents the God of their fathers - the God of Abraham; Isaac; and Jacob: the LORD God of Israel.

The Prodigal Son represents the every day people of their nation who had turned from the LORD God of their fathers to live as they pleased.

He often defends them as sinners the others of their nation have concluded themselves better than.

The Elder Son represents both the Elders of Israel: the Scribes and the Pharisees; and those of that nation who ignorantly sided with their hypocrisy.

Those, He often rebukes.

Read chapters 11 thru 19.

You have the Daughters of Abraham...

Luke 13:16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

And the Scribes and the Pharisees and those after their kind...

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

And the Sons of Abraham...

Luke 19:9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

This...is the flow or recurrent pattern of His thought...throughout.

The thing to do is to get a grasp of the overall flow of thought, in contrast to going by one word; phrase; passage; or even an entire chapter.

Those who basically violate this basic study approach principle; well, there is not much hope of reasoning with such.

Having broken from the overall flow of thought of a thing, and ended up in their own; such will simply be unable to see the otherwise obvious.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

daqq

The intended meaning of that parable is made obvious when one traces out the flow or recurrent pattern of His thought throughout prior to; during; and after; said parable.

The Father in that parable represents the God of their fathers - the God of Abraham; Isaac; and Jacob: the LORD God of Israel.

The Prodigal Son represents the every day people of their nation who had turned from the LORD God of their fathers to live as they pleased.

He often defends them as sinners the others of their nation have concluded themselves better than.

The Elder Son represents both the Elders of Israel: the Scribes and the Pharisees; and those of that nation who ignorantly sided with their hypocrisy.

Those, He often rebukes.

Read chapters 11 thru 19.

You have the Daughters of Abraham...

Luke 13:16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?

And the Scribes and the Pharisees and those after their kind...

Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

And the Sons of Abraham...

Luke 19:9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.

This...is the flow or recurrent pattern of His thought...throughout.

The thing to do is to get a grasp of the overall flow of thought, in contrast to going by one word; phrase; passage; or even an entire chapter.

Those who basically violate this basic study approach principle; well, there is not much hope of reasoning with such.

Having broken from the overall flow of thought of a thing, and ended up in their own; such will simply be unable to see the otherwise obvious.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

You are reading into the text what you will it to say: it does not say what you will it to say, for the Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Scribes, and "their kind" obviously did not keep all of the commandments of the Father. There is only ONE who never transgressed any commandment of the Father. Here it is again, and if you do not abide by what it strictly says you end up in the ditch:

Luke 15:25-31 ASV
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard music and dancing.
26 And he called to him one of the servants, and inquired what these things might be.
27 ​And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
28 But he was angry, and would not go in: and his father came out, and entreated him.
29 But he answered and said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, and I never transgressed a commandment of thine; and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
30 but when this thy son came, who hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou killedst for him the fatted calf.
31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that is mine is thine.

Again:

1) There is only ONE who never broke or transgressed any commandment of the Father.

The Master makes it very plain throughout the Gospel accounts that it surely is not the Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Scribes, or rulers of the people of which or whom he speaks because he calls them out continually with words like "hypocrite" and so on.

2) There is only ONE of whom it is ever said the all things of the Father are likewise his.

This again cannot be the Pharisees, Sadducees, Herodians, Scribes, or rulers of the people: have you never read about what happened in 70AD? Surely you have! It is rather the Son of whom it is said that all things of the Father are also his, (Luk15:31, Jhn16:15).

John 16:15 ASV
15 All things whatsoever the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he taketh of mine, and shall declare it unto you.

You cannot proceed any further into the depth of these things if you refuse to force yourself to comply with these two very simple facts, (which is why I laid them out the way I did), for otherwise you too are simply making up your own meaning for the parable to suit what you wish to believe but which does not agree with the scripture. According to your understanding the Father gave all that is His to the Pharisees, Scribes, and Elders of the people, because they kept all of His commandments and never transgressed any one of them, (lol).

It appears you need to get some new and improved study principles. :chuckle:

dcon

BANNED
Banned
Oh really? When was the prodigal EXPELLED, and what was his "gross sin".

Why people form their opinions on faulty premises ....to come up with a "nothing to see here" mantra is more than slightly amusing. :chuckle:

It's really not that complicated. It's a metaphor. He left his family ie expelled himself. He spent his inheritance on wine and loose women, his sin. And returned, his reinstatement.
It kind of loses it's impact when one has to draw a picture. And the only faulty premise is that I started this whole conversation with you in the first place.