The Musicians Lounge

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am saying that, after months of practice, I couldn't manage to contort my hands well enough to make a decent F chord on a 6 string when I was 35. At 57 finding a different way accomplish my goal makes a lot of sense to me.

I had to going on in my 40s and 50s. Not much going on today:eek:

fzappa13

I am saying that, after months of practice, I couldn't manage to contort my hands well enough to make a decent F chord on a 6 string when I was 35. At 57 finding a different way accomplish my goal makes a lot of sense to me.

I guess overcoming our limitations is pretty much what life is about. That said, each of us has our own unique set of limitations it appears. It's almost as if we ignore our strengths and focus on our weaknesses at times. Said another way, you want what you ain't got when your glass is half empty. On the one hand you have Jesus' admonition to be happy with what you have and on the other you have those who have sought more and were rewarded for their efforts. A bit of a quandary that is applicable to more than just the field of music I suspect.

Last edited:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess overcoming our limitations is pretty much what life is about. That said, each of us has our own unique set of limitations it appears. It's almost as if we ignore our strengths and focus on our weaknesses at times. You want what you ain't got when your glass is half empty. On the one hand you have Jesus' admonition to be happy with what you have and on the other you have those who have sought more and were rewarded for their efforts. A bit of a quandary that is applicable to more than just the field of music I suspect.
Amen

fzappa13

I'm a huge fan of jazz and blues. I love Coltrane and Davis, but my favorite guy in jazz is Cab Calloway. When I was younger and was getting into blues and, by extension, jazz, I saw a documentary that had films of Cab Calloway and I always thought he was great. A great singer, bandleader and showman with great songs and a great band. Calloway could bring down the house.

By it's nature Jazz is one of the hardest genres to define if such a thing is even necessary. Each generation takes its turn and if you will suffer through the rest you will come to this generation's take on the matter by following this link ... start at about 18:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLKb9Ms68ME