The most beautiful word in the English language is.....

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
.....cellar door?

Interesting synopsis here:

The English compound noun cellar door (especially in its British pronunciation of /sɛləˈdɔə/) is commonly used as an example of a word or phrase which is beautiful in terms of phonaesthetics (sound) with no regard for semantics (meaning).[1] It has been variously presented either as merely one beautiful instance of many, or as the most beautiful in the English language; either as the author's personal choice, that of an eminent scholar's, or of a foreigner who does not speak the language.[1][2]

The rhythmic or musical quality of the phrase was referenced by H. L. Mencken in 1920, by professor David Allen Robertson in 1921,[1] and by critic George Jean Nathan in 1935.[1]

A passage from J. R. R. Tolkien's 1955 essay "English and Welsh" has been cited as the origin of the idea:[1]
"Most English-speaking people...will admit that cellar door is 'beautiful', especially if dissociated from its sense (and from its spelling). More beautiful than, say, sky, and far more beautiful than beautiful. Well then, in Welsh for me cellar doors are extraordinarily frequent, and moving to the higher dimension, the words in which there is pleasure in the contemplation of the association of form and sense are abundant."

It's only after being introduced to the concept that I could recognize the inherent beauty in such an ordinary word, a good reminder that beauty can be found in even the most ordinary things.

I'd been thinking about words I would consider beautiful, not by virtue of their meaning, but by how they sound:

Delilah

lyrical

ephemeral

At the other end of the spectrum are the ugly words. My vote for the worst-sounding word, one that's a family joke because the more times you say it the worse it sounds:

moist.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Effervescently put as usual ma'am. One will put more effort into appropriate smiley usage regards context in future....

:thumb:

Compare and contrast:

effervescence: :D

expressionless, blank, impassive, nobody home, poker-faced, stony, unreadable, vacant: :plain:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like the word chocolate.

Yes, it has meaning that I also enjoy...but it sort of bumps along in your mouth when you say it and draw it out.

c h o c o l a t e

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also like the word

persnickety.

Not sure that it is beautiful, but it is fun to say.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I also like the word

persnickety.

Not sure that it is beautiful, but it is fun to say.

Yeah, I'd have to say fun, not beautiful. It's too prickly-sounding.

Beautiful words seem to have a lot of vowels, and the letter L seems to be another commonality. SoJ's daughter's name is a perfect example of that.

PureX

plaster cast

juggernaut

influenza

mumbly peg

horticulture

stinkweed

criteria

palindrome

tantamount

synthesize

.... I could go on. Lots of words roll off the tongue like that. The really good ones align the rhythm of the sounds with the meaning of the word.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I like your list except for stinkweed. I think it's hard for a hard "k" sound to be beautiful.

But not impossible, because Katharine is beautiful. :think:

Out of all of them, I like influenza the best.

PureX

I like your list except for stinkweed. I think it's hard for a hard "k" sound to be beautiful.

But not impossible, because Katharine is beautiful. :think:

Out of all of them, I like influenza the best.
But "stinkweed" means to offend. That's why it's just right. My idea of beautiful isn't necessarily "pretty". It's more like concise, complete, or exactly right.

"Influenza" is nice because it creates this kind of dizzying buzz in my mind. Just right for the onset of a flu.