The Late Great Urantia Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

Oh, I do recall you attempted some debunking but I showed you where your facts were wrong and opinions equal to iron chariots that The Hebrews God couldn't overcome.
:nono: But yeah, I knew you didn't believe the Scripture
was inspired. I'll take Jesus for $100k and the win, Alek.

Your book 'reads' like a guy who doesn't know English wrote it.

Or History. Or when he is contradicting Jesus' words. Or
when he is making an emotional appeal, for an unemotional response,
that the other guys are supposed to get emotionally :dizzy:

It 'reads' like a special ed class assignment. I can't believe you eat
that stuff up.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
So what do honest people say in their reviews of the UB?

The Book has Transformed My Life

Submitted by Bill Kelly

Converted to Christianity at age 19, I held strong evangelical beliefs for many years. I trained at Fuller Theological Seminary and San Francisco Theological Seminary, and served as a Presbyterian minister for eleven years before returning to psychology. My leaving the ministry had nothing to do with God, The Bible, or The Urantia Book; it was just a matter of preferring a different sort of ministry.

My introduction to The Urantia Book was through a fellow science teacher who was a Methodist. He and I had many discussions about faith. One day he told me he had a book that he thought might interest me, and lent me a copy.

I began at the beginning, reading the Foreword, despite his caution not to. I figured that with degrees in philosophy, psychology and theology I should be able to handle it. I found it more or less incomprehensible and put the book down for about six months. When my friend asked how I was doing, I told him I thought it resembled Gnosticism because of all the orders of angels and other celestial administrators it presented. He asked if I wanted to return the book; I told him I would give it one more try.

I looked through the table of contents until I found Paper 189, "The Resurrection of Jesus." On a warm summer morning I read that paper with a cup of coffee in my hand. I was astounded. Never had I heard such a convincing story of the events of the Easter weekend, down to the final details. What impressed me most was the UB's explanation of the disappearance of the mortal body of Jesus - instantaneous decay by the speeding up of time, at the request of the "angels of the resurrection." I had never heard this explanation before, and it made sense.

I spilled my cup of coffee on the book and decided I had better buy my own copy and read on. This I did for about six months, every night for about thirty minutes. I read it with an attitude of open skepticism. I found as I read that I didn't understand some of the words or concepts, and that some of the information was completely new to me. Many of the teachings struck an immediate Aha! response, and the book - so mysterious and exciting - steadily grew on me. I began to wonder, could the book be true?

About halfway through the book I called up the friend who had loaned it to me and asked him if he believed the book was what it claimed to be, a revelation of truth. He said yes, and told me the story of how he had found it.

I am now in my tenth reading in about ten years. My habit is to maintain an almost daily reading schedule. My wife, Virginia Enfield Kelly, has joined me in the study and application of the book and has become just as convinced and enthusiastic about it as I am. We are active members in two Urantia Book-related study groups.

The book has transformed my life, my thinking, my perspective on God, the universe, humanity, the afterlife and the purpose of life. The Jesus of The Urantia Book is, in my opinion, greater than, but not different from, the Jesus of the Gospels. He is more complete, believable, loving, human and - if you can believe this - more divine.

Submit Your Own Review

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I Began Reading as a Skeptic

(Anonymous)

Born and raised in an Anglican home, I was the stereotypical altar boy/choirboy - with a guardian angel working overtime to keep me from accidentally killing myself. Homemade model rockets (three-stage with a mouse payload), pipe cannons and fireworks tested the angel's ability to move shrapnel or place me where the exploding bits would least likely hit.

I matured to young manhood with a career in engineering, a family, wealth, and an ego that left little room for God. Science and logic left no need for a God, either. As executive VP of research and development for the largest turbine-engine overhaul company in the world, I pooh-poohed "metaphysical mumbo jumbo" and dismissed the people who were led astray by that stuff. I had taken religion back to its very base - the Big Bang - and decided that God was needed only to supply the initial energy. The natural processes of energy association and evolution would take over from there.

Then in 1985, when I was 37, I hired a creative genius, Dr. Irwin Ginsburgh. Irwin had a Ph.D. in physics, 45 patents, a brilliant understanding of everything, and a big blue book of answers, a book which he said combined science and religion into a logical whole.

A logical blend of science and religion? Impossible! Okay, maybe not impossible, but certainly improbable. I began reading as a skeptic but ended as a believer. Finally, the New Testament miracles and the death on the cross made sense; afterlife was logical, and there was a reason for my existence. I didn't need God; God needed me! He needed me to experience what he could not experience alone - relationships with others, learning, sympathy, empathy, love.

It was a sad day when I finished the book, and yet it is the last book I will ever need.

I find The Urantia Book to be internally consistent and scientifically credible. The probability of getting all those day/date combinations in Part IV correct staggers my mind. The big blue book that questions all answers and answers all questions has changed the ego me into the Supreme we. It's amazing how your attitude changes when your perspective is eternal.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Home

A Review of The Urantia Book

By Marcus Bach
Unity Village, MO 64065
Question Marc
Unity Magazine Pages 43-45
November, 1993
Question: I have come upon a copy of The Urantia Book. Wow! Is it an authentic history of our planet Earth and a revelation of the government of the universe, or is it an amazingly elaborate hoax? Is it a true manifest message of God or mere mortal speculation and opinion to serve some vested material interest? I would welcome and be grateful for your comments. -- KG, Missouri

Answer: Your "Wow" is an echo of my own reactions when The Urantia Book was placed into my hands in 1963. My response to your questions takes me back through the years to a January meeting in a Chicago suite of offices where a group of men had permitted me to listen in on a conference about religion and life as projected in The Urantia Book. The more I listened, the more I marveled. The book, which had appeared in 1950, was a masterwork of 2097 pages without an authorship; a book as mysterious as the Dead Sea Scrolls; an incredible book twice the size of the Bible and going back before the days of creation millions of years when the earth was "without form and void."

The book was divided into four parts. Part 1: The Central and Superuniverse, Part 2: The Local Universe, Part 3: The History of Urantia, Part 4: The Life and Teachings of Jesus. Reading and concentrating especially on Part 3, I learned that Urantia is and has been known since its creation as the Earth Planet or Mother Earth. God has ordained it a paradise with a future that will reveal the possibility of a utopia in which God, nature, and humankind will respect and strive for the union of science and religion.

The gift of this book from the Urantia Foundation was one I treasured because religion is my beat, and ever since my commitment to that career, I have decided that if ever there would be a wedding of science and religion, I wanted to be the best man! According to my research, The Urantia Book has never been seriously discussed or endorsed by such organizations as the American Geophysical Union or the Institute of Geophysics and Physics.

In my inquiries with the University of California's department of geophysics and The Evolution of Life, authorities had never given the book any serious consideration. I find no reference to it in the authoritative and scholarly works of the Philosophical Research Society of Los Angeles. It has never received the blessings of GAIA, the prestigious organization headed by the eminent inventor-scientist, James Lovelock. I was also greatly surprised how few libraries had the book on their shelves. Of the twenty-four libraries that I polled, only six had copies, and the book was classified as either occult, parapsychological, or metaphysical. However, there are 260,000 copies of the book in print, and it has been translated into many foreign languages.

There will need to be more research done before the book is considered, as you Say "an authentic history of our planet Earth." Nonetheless, I found it to be a most persuasive and rational attempt at an explanation of creation both in scientific and mythological terms. The Old and New Testaments of the Bible have never professed to be used as a scientific explanation of the nature of life or life as nature.

If it is a hoax, it is incredible. I learned at the meeting I attended in 1963 that the history of The Urantia Foundation can be traced to a meeting held in 1933 by a group of eminent businessmen who were interested in and concerned about religion and life. They formed The Urantia Foundation whose purpose it would be to explore religion's role in the evolution of life and the interrelation between spiritual endeavors and scientific pursuits.

I cannot imagine that anyone, an individual any group, would spend seven years in research and writing to create a hoax nor would anyone with the wisdom and insight of the authors stoop to a deliberate fabrication. Only time will tell as to whether The Urantia Book is a "true manifest message of God." In my own recall of The Urantia Book, I felt a special personal kinship with whomever wrote the closing chapters which emphasize the life and time of Jesus Christ. It was like a journey with Him as He went about His duties, moved among the people, and lived out the dramatic destiny of His life, death, and Resurrection.

Reflecting on your question, I asked myself, what can be, a greater manifestation of God than an inspired piece of literature? How would you classify The Psalms? The Song of Solomon? The Beatitudes? The writings of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Albert Schweitzer, Charles Fillmore, or Unity's Daily Word? The need to draw upon my early premise of the necessity for a "wedding between science and religion" becomes ever more apparent. A coalition of spiritually minded scientists and scientifically oriented religionists could make a great contribution to our world--whether we call it Urantia, Mother Earth, the universe, or our home.

Dr. Marcus Bach received his Ph.D. from the University of Iowa and served as associate director and professor in the School of Religion at the University of Iowa. He has contributed to the Encyclopedia Americana, Theatre Arts, the Reader's Digest, and many other periodicals. His twenty-six books include Major Religions of the World, Had you Been Born in Another Faith, The Unity Way, The World of Serendipity, and The Power of Total Living. His latest title is Who Stole My Utopia?

Dr. Bach is founder and director of The Fellowship for Spiritual Understanding.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I Began Reading as a Skeptic

(Anonymous)

Born and raised in an Anglican home, I was the stereotypical altar boy/choirboy - with a guardian angel working overtime to keep me from accidentally killing myself. Homemade model rockets (three-stage with a mouse payload), pipe cannons and fireworks tested the angel's ability to move shrapnel or place me where the exploding bits would least likely hit.

I matured to young manhood with a career in engineering, a family, wealth, and an ego that left little room for God. Science and logic left no need for a God, either. As executive VP of research and development for the largest turbine-engine overhaul company in the world, I pooh-poohed "metaphysical mumbo jumbo" and dismissed the people who were led astray by that stuff. I had taken religion back to its very base - the Big Bang - and decided that God was needed only to supply the initial energy. The natural processes of energy association and evolution would take over from there.

Then in 1985, when I was 37, I hired a creative genius, Dr. Irwin Ginsburgh. Irwin had a Ph.D. in physics, 45 patents, a brilliant understanding of everything, and a big blue book of answers, a book which he said combined science and religion into a logical whole.

A logical blend of science and religion? Impossible! Okay, maybe not impossible, but certainly improbable. I began reading as a skeptic but ended as a believer. Finally, the New Testament miracles and the death on the cross made sense; afterlife was logical, and there was a reason for my existence. I didn't need God; God needed me! He needed me to experience what he could not experience alone - relationships with others, learning, sympathy, empathy, love.

It was a sad day when I finished the book, and yet it is the last book I will ever need.

I find The Urantia Book to be internally consistent and scientifically credible. The probability of getting all those day/date combinations in Part IV correct staggers my mind. The big blue book that questions all answers and answers all questions has changed the ego me into the Supreme we. It's amazing how your attitude changes when your perspective is eternal.

I don't trust any "Geniuses" you mention because, they're all friends
with your little green men in their UFOs!

Caino

BANNED
Banned
102:6.1 The philosophic elimination of religious fear and the steady progress of science add greatly to the mortality of false gods; and even though these casualties of man-made deities may momentarily befog the spiritual vision, they eventually destroy that ignorance and superstition which so long obscured the living God of eternal love. The relation between the creature and the Creator is a living experience, a dynamic religious faith, which is not subject to precise definition. To isolate part of life and call it religion is to disintegrate life and to distort religion. And this is just why the God of worship claims all allegiance or none.

102:6.2 The gods of primitive men may have been no more than shadows of themselves; the living God is the divine light whose interruptions constitute the creation shadows of all space.

102:6.3 The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

102:6.4 Faith transforms the philosophic God of probability into the saving God of certainty in the personal religious experience. Skepticism may challenge the theories of theology, but confidence in the dependability of personal experience affirms the truth of that belief which has grown into faith.

102:6.5 Convictions about God may be arrived at through wise reasoning, but the individual becomes God-knowing only by faith, through personal experience. In much that pertains to life, probability must be reckoned with, but when contacting with cosmic reality, certainty may be experienced when such meanings and values are approached by living faith. The God-knowing soul dares to say, “I know,” even when this knowledge of God is questioned by the unbeliever who denies such certitude because it is not wholly supported by intellectual logic. To every such doubter the believer only replies, “How do you know that I do not know?”

102:6.6 Though reason can always question faith, faith can always supplement both reason and logic. Reason creates the probability which faith can transform into a moral certainty, even a spiritual experience. God is the first truth and the last fact; therefore does all truth take origin in him, while all facts exist relative to him. God is absolute truth. As truth one may know God, but to understand—to explain—God, one must explore the fact of the universe of universes. The vast gulf between the experience of the truth of God and ignorance as to the fact of God can be bridged only by living faith. Reason alone cannot achieve harmony between infinite truth and universal fact.

102:6.7 Belief may not be able to resist doubt and withstand fear, but faith is always triumphant over doubting, for faith is both positive and living. The positive always has the advantage over the negative, truth over error, experience over theory, spiritual realities over the isolated facts of time and space. The convincing evidence of this spiritual certainty consists in the social fruits of the spirit which such believers, faithers, yield as a result of this genuine spiritual experience. Said Jesus: “If you love your fellows as I have loved you, then shall all men know that you are my disciples.”

http://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-102-the-foundations-of-religious-faith?criteria=%22or%20none%22

Aimiel

The more I read of the Urantia Book the more I realize: our enemy is very crafty and has had over 6,000 years of practice in deceiving men.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The more I read of the Urantia Book the more I realize: our enemy is very crafty and has had over 6,000 years of practice in deceiving men.

With old thinking like that, if Jesus returned today, Aimiel would think it was Satan masquerading as an angel if light! Your faith in Satan is beyond laughable!

Jesus already told you, he already debunked your theory held by the enemies of Jesus, Satan wasn't a house divided, he didn't promote dedication to faith in God and Atheism at the same time.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist

Did u read the first 5 papers to know the fundamental theology of God yet? If you want to critique a text you need to read it first, then specify on particulars.

The UB Online

pj

Aimiel

Nope. Jesus spoke to demons, demanded their name, cast them out and told us to go and do the same. Since you're not Christian, you cannot understand such matters. :duh:

Aimiel

Did u read the first 5 papers to know the fundamental theology of God yet?
Nope. Never will.
If you want to critique a text you need to read it first, then specify on particulars.
No, I don't have to read any more than I've already seen. I've read enough already that contradicts The Holy Scriptures to make me realize that it is from hell. Those who know real money will never be fooled by counterfeit, no matter how good of a counterfeiting job it is. Those of us who have God inside of us and are God-inside-minded have way more than you could imagine available to us. We have an 'inward witness' Who steers us into Truth. The only contact you have with the spirit-world is NOT from God. You're being led down the primrose path to hell. Our 'spirit-guide' doesn't lie to us and lead us AWAY from Christ, as yours does. He keeps our steps in line.

Aimiel

With old thinking like that, if Jesus returned today, Aimiel would think it was Satan masquerading as an angel if light!
Fact is: Christ returned to YOU today, in the form of Aimiel. You think I'm your enemy, but I'm actually God's knock upon your heart's door.
Your faith in Satan is beyond laughable!
I don't have to use faith to realize that the enemy goes about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. I do, however, need to have faith in Christ's Blood and my own testimony to be able to defeat him. You, on the contrary, are putty in his hand. He is toothless, powerless and completely defeated, yet you bow to the false Jebus god that he thought up while on holiday in Chicago.
Jesus already told you, he already debunked your theory held by the enemies of Jesus, Satan wasn't a house divided, he didn't promote dedication to faith in God and Atheism at the same time.
Urantia promotes faith in self, not God. In order to have eternal life in you, you must eat Jesus' Flesh and drink His Blood. You're not born again, you're a re-invented demon-worshiper. Until you renounce Urantia and cling to The Holy Bible, you're lost and without hope: hellbound.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Fact is: Christ returned to YOU today, in the form of Aimiel. You think I'm your enemy, but I'm actually God's knock upon your heart's door.I don't have to use faith to realize that the enemy goes about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. I do, however, need to have faith in Christ's Blood and my own testimony to be able to defeat him. You, on the contrary, are putty in his hand. He is toothless, powerless and completely defeated, yet you bow to the false Jebus god that he thought up while on holiday in Chicago.Urantia promotes faith in self, not God. In order to have eternal life in you, you must eat Jesus' Flesh and drink His Blood. You're not born again, you're a re-invented demon-worshiper. Until you renounce Urantia and cling to The Holy Bible, you're lost and without hope: hellbound.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
That post is a reflection of how you treat God.

Only in your confused mind, you have bought into the concept of God who is merely the shadow of the men who wrote about him in the OT as well as your own rigid heart.

The universe is friendly and carfully managed by the loyal creator Sons of the Eternal, Infinate loving God.

As the authors of scripture have gathered together parts and peices of history, revelations, covenants and celestial incarnations, they present collated speculations about the meaning of those things according to their own limited understanding.

I believe the Bible to be a collection of books that are themselves stratified layers of interpretive beliefs in response to very real divine activities.

I believe Jesus of the UB when he was talking to Nathaniel about the imperfection of scripture. Jesus had common sence as well as being divine. He quoted from the scripture truth that best reflected his truth, he didn't quote things that were inconsistent with the truth about the Fathers character.

159:4.3 “These writings are the work of men, some of them holy men, others not so holy. The teachings of these books represent the views and extent of enlightenment of the time in which they had their origin. As a revelation of truth, the last are more dependable than the first. The Scriptures are faulty and altogether human in origin, but mistake not, they do constitute the best collection of religious wisdom and spiritual truth to be found in all the world at this time.

159:4.4 “Many of these books were not written by the persons whose names they bear, but that in no way detracts from the value of the truths which they contain. If the story of Jonah should not be a fact, even if Jonah had never lived, still would the profound truth of this narrative, the love of God for Nineveh and the so-called heathen, be none the less precious in the eyes of all those who love their fellow men. The Scriptures are sacred because they present the thoughts and acts of men who were searching for God, and who in these writings left on record their highest concepts of righteousness, truth, and holiness. The Scriptures contain much that is true, very much, but in the light of your present teaching, you know that these writings also contain much that is misrepresentative of the Father in heaven, the loving God I have come to reveal to all the worlds.

159:4.5 "Nathaniel, never permit yourself for one moment to believe the Scripture records which tell you that the God of love directed your forefathers to go forth in battle to slay all their enemies—men, women, and children. Such records are the words of men, not very holy men, and they are not the word of God. The Scriptures always have, and always will, reflect the intellectual, moral, and spiritual status of those who create them. Have you not noted that the concepts of Yahweh grow in beauty and glory as the prophets make their records from Samuel to Isaiah? And you should remember that the Scriptures are intended for religious instruction and spiritual guidance. They are not the works of either historians or philosophers.

159:4.6 “The thing most deplorable is not merely this erroneous idea of the absolute perfection of the Scripture record and the infallibility of its teachings, but rather the confusing misinterpretation of these sacred writings by the tradition-enslaved scribes and Pharisees at Jerusalem. And now will they employ both the doctrine of the inspiration of the Scriptures and their misinterpretations thereof in their determined effort to withstand these newer teachings of the gospel of the kingdom. Nathaniel, never forget, the Father does not limit the revelation of truth to any one generation or to any one people. Many earnest seekers after the truth have been, and will continue to be, confused and disheartened by these doctrines of the perfection of the Scriptures.

159:4.7 “The authority of truth is the very spirit that indwells its living manifestations, and not the dead words of the less illuminated and supposedly inspired men of another generation. And even if these holy men of old lived inspired and spirit-filled lives, that does not mean that their words were similarly spiritually inspired. Today we make no record of the teachings of this gospel of the kingdom lest, when I have gone, you speedily become divided up into sundry groups of truth contenders as a result of the diversity of your interpretation of my teachings. For this generation it is best that we live these truths while we shun the making of records.

159:4.8 “Mark you well my words, Nathaniel, nothing which human nature has touched can be regarded as infallible. Through the mind of man divine truth may indeed shine forth, but always of relative purity and partial divinity. The creature may crave infallibility, but only the Creators possess it.

159:4.9 “But the greatest error of the teaching about the Scripture is the doctrine of their being sealed books of mystery and wisdom which only the wise minds of the nation dare to interpret. The revelations of divine truth are not sealed except by human ignorance, bigotry, and narrow-minded intolerance. The light of the Scriptures is only dimmed by prejudice and darkened by superstition. A false fear of sacredness has prevented religion from being safeguarded by common sense. The fear of the authority of the sacred writings of the past effectively prevents the honest souls of today from accepting the new light of the gospel, the light which these very God-knowing men of another generation so intensely longed to see.

159:4.10 “But the saddest feature of all is the fact that some of the teachers of the sanctity of this traditionalism know this very truth. They more or less fully understand these limitations of Scripture, but they are moral cowards, intellectually dishonest. They know the truth regarding the sacred writings, but they prefer to withhold such disturbing facts from the people. And thus do they pervert and distort the Scriptures, making them the guide to slavish details of the daily life and an authority in things nonspiritual instead of appealing to the sacred writings as the repository of the moral wisdom, religious inspiration, and the spiritual teaching of the God-knowing men of other generations.”
UB 1955

Status
Not open for further replies.