The Joys of Catholicism

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
This is the thread to express all the joys great and small that Catholics and Antiprotestants experience as believers and subscribers to Catholic theology inclusive, in shorthand Catholicism.

I'll kick it off with a recent joy I experienced, that in this time of social distancing and lockdowns and stay-at-home or shelter-in-place orders, Mass attendance has been postponed.

My bishop, Cardinal Seán, ordered us to stay home from Mass a couple weekends ago. As a Catholic, the joy is that I feel literally zero guilt or pressure or negativity of any kind in not going to Mass. No urgency, we just wait for our bishop to give us the green light and until then we just live our lives.

Part of this joy, is that priests are still celebrating Mass on behalf of the Church, even while Mass attendance is suspended. So the Lord continues to receive the worship due Him, even while most of the non-ordained faithful aren't anywhere near Mass right now.

So, while we do suffer from not receiving Holy Communion, not having access to Confession, not congregating together in worship for a time, we enjoy the confidence in knowing what the will of God is for us right now. It's to listen to our bishop, as it always has been, nothing has changed.

A word of warning to Anticatholics who are all free to post here, that the OP will be defended. I repeat that you are all free to post and argue and fight and debate and discuss, I'm not asking you to abstain but am instead welcoming you all, but the OP will be defended.

Peace be with you.

Bradley D

For me the real presence of Christ is in the Holy Spirit. That is Christ abiding with us. I must never forget Christ's sacrifice for us which communion helps me to remember. Christ tells to do communion in "remembrance" of His sacrifice for us.

clefty

For me the real presence of Christ is in the Holy Spirit. That is Christ abiding with us. I must never forget Christ's sacrifice for us which communion helps me to remember. Christ tells to do communion in "remembrance" of His sacrifice for us.

yup...a remembrance...even Peter knew when asked “you leaving too?” “Whom shall we go to? You have the words of life” Notice how Peter didnt say “you have the flesh we must eat of”...

He paid attention when the lesson concluded with “Flesh profits NOTHING...it is the SPIRIT...”.

His poor disciples didn’t even expect Him to die and here He is talking about “eat my flesh drink my blood”

those who followed him and didnt wait for clarification about it not being about the material bread but the Spirit were no longer His disciples...as are those that continue to reject His clarification

Bradley D

yup...a remembrance...even Peter knew when asked “you leaving too?” “Whom shall we go to? You have the words of life” Notice how Peter didnt say “you have the flesh we must eat of”...

He paid attention when the lesson concluded with “Flesh profits NOTHING...it is the SPIRIT...”.

His poor disciples didn’t even expect Him to die and here He is talking about “eat my flesh drink my blood”

those who followed him and didnt wait for clarification about it not being about the material bread but the Spirit were no longer His disciples...as are those that continue to reject His clarification

The Lord was speaking in spiritual terms. Jesus was alive at the last supper and speaking in a metaphor. Today at communion is the same metaphor. The bread and wine are used to remember that Christ's body suffered and bleed for us. As Christ told the disciples do this often in remembrance of Him.

clefty

The Lord was speaking in spiritual terms. Jesus was alive at the last supper and speaking in a metaphor. Today at communion is the same metaphor. The bread and wine are used to remember that Christ's body suffered and bleed for us. As Christ told the disciples do this often in remembrance of Him.

Yum right...did you even read what I wrote?

the irony that those suffering celiac disease can’t eat the bread despite it having substantially changed into flesh...does His flesh have gluten?

Is the gluten allergen in the Aristotelian accidents of bread?

Bradley D

Yum right...did you even read what I wrote?

the irony that those suffering celiac disease can’t eat the bread despite it having substantially changed into flesh...does His flesh have gluten?

Is the gluten allergen in the Aristotelian accidents of bread?

God understands!

clefty

Catholics do not engage in idolatry. Once again you are a liar.

Ascribing power to something that does not have it is exactly idolatry. They even continued to pray to the brazen serpent after the Spirit left it...which made it an idol and thus idolatry despite having been instructed by Yah Himself to make it...

2129 The divine injunction included the prohibition of every representation of God by the hand of man. Deuteronomy explains: "Since you saw no form on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, beware lest you act corruptly by making a graven image for yourselves, in the form of any figure. . . . "66 It is the absolutely transcendent God who revealed himself to Israel. "He is the all," but at the same time "he is greater than all his works."67 He is "the author of beauty."6

Not sure if its official enough for you but even the Eastern Orthodox reserve their image making to things incarnate...yours however depict the Almighty One despite what is in scripture and in their official writings.

They incessantly corrupt themselves by making images despite having seen NO FORM...

More from your officials:

2131 Basing itself on the mystery of the incarnate Word, the seventh ecumenical council at Nicaea (787) justified against the iconoclasts the veneration of icons - of Christ, but also of the Mother of God, the angels, and all the saints. By becoming incarnate, the Son of God introduced a new "economy" of images.

So it is His fault for becoming visible that you dispatch with the prohibition against images? And go contrary His Father’s will despite His “DO NOT THINK”

A council of men in 787 finally abrogated His immutable Law and cleared the way for images...nice...mob rule I guess.

Your officials again:

2132 The Christian veneration of images is not contrary to the first commandment which proscribes idols. Indeed, "the honor rendered to an image passes to its prototype," and "whoever venerates an image venerates the person portrayed in it."70 The honor paid to sacred images is a "respectful veneration," not the adoration due to God alone:

Religious worship is not directed to images in themselves, considered as mere things, but under their distinctive aspect as images leading us on to God incarnate. The movement toward the image does not terminate in it as image, but tends toward that whose image it is.71

This is exactly what they thought at Sinai with the golden calf...they were paying honor to the TRUE GOD the calf represented...worship was not the thing itself but the movement toward the calf does not terminate at the gold...but tends toward that whose image it is...THE ONE TRUE GOD...who prohibits images because they corrupt...instructing make no image of anything...AND worship none made...

Just like the Hindu or Buddhist or pagan kneeling at the rock or tree...ask them...they will insist it is not the rock or tree they worship “but my prayer passes through to its prototype!”...or something...

We are not to ask how others worship...we worship One Who needs nothing made of human hands but only in Spirit and in Truth

Again, it is:

1.) make no image of anything
b.) worship none made as in bow at or pray through to its prototype...

clefty

Indeed...our Saviour was only about our comfort and assurance and encouraging our belief...why did He not poise for a portrait or sculpture? Did He NOT understand what joy that would cause?

During His time Greeks and Romans had artisans which could easily have made an ultimate ikon to bring comfort and assurance...a portrait...

The Church even gave out such relics...at one time 33 nails which pierced His flesh were all over Europe for comfort and assurance but for a “donation” of course...

Instead He said “Blessed are they that believe without seeing...”

Idolater

the irony that those suffering celiac disease can’t eat the bread
What a nasty thing to point out. Rather than sympathize with someone who is medically prevented from receiving Communion. Which is something the Church has always done, right from the start Acts 2:42

Idolater

Exactly. Old Covenant /Testament. Haven't you read where due to the death of the testator, that it's been fulfilled, and that His blood dedicated the New Covenant? There are similarities and differences between the two. For instance, the priesthood of the New Covenant is no longer Levitcal descending from Aaron according to the flesh. The priesthood of the New Covenant is in the order of Melchizedek. Also dietary laws aren't the same. And keeping the Sabbath. And circumcision. There are a lot of differences, only one of which concerns images.

God's Truth

This is the thread to express all the joys great and small that Catholics and Antiprotestants experience as believers and subscribers to Catholic theology inclusive, in shorthand Catholicism.

I'll kick it off with a recent joy I experienced, that in this time of social distancing and lockdowns and stay-at-home or shelter-in-place orders, Mass attendance has been postponed.

My bishop, Cardinal Seán, ordered us to stay home from Mass a couple weekends ago. As a Catholic, the joy is that I feel literally zero guilt or pressure or negativity of any kind in not going to Mass. No urgency, we just wait for our bishop to give us the green light and until then we just live our lives.

Part of this joy, is that priests are still celebrating Mass on behalf of the Church, even while Mass attendance is suspended. So the Lord continues to receive the worship due Him, even while most of the non-ordained faithful aren't anywhere near Mass right now.

So, while we do suffer from not receiving Holy Communion, not having access to Confession, not congregating together in worship for a time, we enjoy the confidence in knowing what the will of God is for us right now. It's to listen to our bishop, as it always has been, nothing has changed.

A word of warning to Anticatholics who are all free to post here, that the OP will be defended. I repeat that you are all free to post and argue and fight and debate and discuss, I'm not asking you to abstain but am instead welcoming you all, but the OP will be defended.

Peace be with you.

I remember when I was a Catholic never missing a mass service because it would be a sin. That is taught nowhere in the Bible.

The truth sets people free and gives true joy.

Idolater

I remember when I was a Catholic never missing a mass service because it would be a sin. That is taught nowhere in the Bible.

The truth sets people free and gives true joy.
Thanks! I couldn't be happier, now that I'm a Catholic and going to Mass!