The gospel according to Jim Carrey

Bard_the_Bowman

I'm guessing it's just latent Catholicism, what with his references to the 'father' behind him.

Hey musterion,

Your post caught my attention because Carrey can be so dang funny.

But what makes you think that that is the Gospel according to Jim Carrey?

Anytime anyone speaks about God they are presenting the Gospel?

That is not true so it is inaccurate to even say that that is the Gospel according to Carrey.

If you watched the entire video it was pretty clear that Jim was merely there to offer his support to a program that gives hope to people coming out of prison and gang-affiliation.

As a matter of fact, Homeboy Industries (which you can read about here:http://www.homeboyindustries.org/) is the largest gang intervention, rehabilitation, and re-entry program in the world. Yes, it was started by a Catholic priest who got tired of burying young gang members who lost their lives to gang violence.

I'd say that that is a good thing.

It is a response to Christ's words in Matthew 25:35-36: "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."

In other words, show love by helping those in need.

Carrey isn't a theologian. He was obviously speaking off the cuff. He even mentioned that when he said at one point "where did that come from?". But he did a pretty good job, overall, I'd say:

Carrey: "Ultimately suffering leads to salvation."
Romans 8:17: "and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together."

And Christ's suffering is the cause of our salvation:

"For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us[e] to God," (1 Peter 3:18)

Carrey: "Accept our suffering."
Matthew 16:24: " Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

Carrey: Two choices of resentment or forgiveness but forgiveness leads to Grace.
Matthew 6:14: "“For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

I'll grant you that a little pantheistic red-flag went up when he started saying "everything is God". But when you look at what he was saying contextually about being the "eyes of God", the "voice of God" etc., it seems he wasn't really speaking of pantheism but of being the Body of Christ to the World and Christ living with us.

Those are biblical ideas.

Peace.

Bard_the_Bowman

Who are you?

What do you mean "who are you?"

I am just Joe Schmoe follower of Jesus Christ who visits TOL from time to time to discuss God and the Bible and various topics with other people who like to do the same.

I don't know about everyone else, but I find that at my place of work where I spend a lot of time, people just aren't very interested in discussing important things. They like to talk about football, or t.v. shows, or politics...almost anything except God and the Bible and life after death, etc.

Peace.

Bard_the_Bowman

No, our suffering does not lead to our salvation; the context in the Romans 8 passage is rewards, not justification.

Well, I'm not seeing rewards or justification in there.

I think Paul's point is broader than that. He is saying to be united to Christ is to be also united with Him in suffering in order that we may be glorified with Him.

I think that ties in well with Jesus' words to take up our crosses daily and follow Him.

In other words, suffering is a part of being united to Christ. In that sense, suffering does lead to salvation because it is being united to Him.

Peace.

john w

Hall of Fame
Well, I'm not seeing rewards or justification in there.

Can't help you if you don't "see it."

The context is rewards-"if children"(since they are children....)

joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him,-already heirs-joint heirs(reward), if they suffer....

Read it-"brethren"-already saved

Read it-"we are the children of God:"

They are already children of God.

Romans 8 KJV

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

I think Paul's point is broader than that. He is saying to be united to Christ is to be also united with Him in suffering in order that we may be glorified with Him.

And I think that I am good looking. And?

The context is rewards-Paul never questioned their justification.

I think that ties in well with Jesus' words to take up our crosses daily and follow Him.

In other words, suffering is a part of being united to Christ. In that sense, suffering does lead to salvation because it is being united to Him.

You "argued" something different:

Carrey: "Ultimately suffering leads to salvation."
Romans 8:17: "and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together."

Peace.

Following Him has to do with service, and is in reference to His disciples.....Service...They were already saved. And members of the boc are not disciples.

Take your seat, please. Thank you.

Bard_the_Bowman

Can't help you if you don't "see it."

The context is rewards-"if children"(since they are children....)

joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him,-already heirs-joint heirs(reward), if they suffer....

Read it-"brethren"-already saved

Read it-"we are the children of God:"

They are already children of God.

Romans 8 KJV

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

I agree. Lot of contingencies in there for children of God.

"If" they suffer with Him.

"If" they live by the flesh they will die.

"If" they live by the Spirit they will live.

And I think that I am good looking. And?

The context is rewards-Paul never questioned their justification.

And... that is your interpretation. And?

Following Him has to do with service, and is in reference to His disciples.....Service...They were already saved. And members of the boc are not disciples.

Jesus' words do not match up with your interpretation.

He says: "Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." (Matthew 16:24).

Notice He says "if anyone".

Are you suggesting because Jesus was talking to His disciples He meant that only for them and not for us? I suppose we are gonna have to ignore most if not all of what Jesus says in the Bible then, to be consistent.

And the idea of a cross, to first century listeners, meant one thing...suffering. Not service. Suffering.

Take your seat, please. Thank you.

No thanks. I'll stay standing and take the words of Christ over yours.

Peace.

john w

Hall of Fame
I agree. Lot of contingencies in there for children of God.

"If" they suffer with Him.

"If" they live by the flesh they will die.

"If" they live by the Spirit they will live.

You missed it....Paul is making the argument....If=since......A logical progression...

The context is rewards, not justification.

And... that is your interpretation. And?

My mistake-I thought you were human, would have a sense of humor.

Jesus' words do not match up with your interpretation.

Show some respect-it is the Lord Jesus Christ. Only his enemies, while he walked the earth, addressed him in his name of humiliation. Master, teacher, Rabbi....yes. "Jesus?" No.

He says: "Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me." (Matthew 16:24).

He also told his disciples to sell all they have, leave all, show themselves to a Levitical priest, go to Jerusalem 3 times, and, wait for it...................................Observe the law.

Do it.

Notice He says "if anyone".

Are you suggesting because Jesus was talking to His disciples He meant that only for them and not for us?

Correctamundo. There are "intra-dispensatiional" principles, however.

Are you suggesting that selling all they have, leave all, show themselves to a Levitical priest, go to Jerusalem 3 times, and, wait for it...................................Observe the law,....

He meant that only for them and not for us?

Then do it.

Now.

Watch the spin, evasion.....Watch...

I suppose we are gonna have to ignore most if not all of what Jesus says in the Bible then, to be consistent.

And the idea of a cross, to first century listeners, meant one thing...suffering. Not service. Suffering.

Quite irrelevant....Nice bait'n switch...

No thanks. I'll stay standing and take the words of Christ over yours.

Peace.

Never heard that zinger before. Weighty.

False dichotomy. That is slick..real slick...

Fine. Sell all you have, leave all, show yourself to a Levitical priest, go to Jerusalem 3 times/year, raise the dead, heal the sick, make the blind see, observe the law...........................

I thought so.

"the words of Christ"

Dig this, rebel, who refuses to rightly divide the word of truth. The Lord Jesus Christ spoke only God the Father's words, while on earth, not his own, as was true of all prophets. Look it up, per Acts 17:11 KJV. The apostle Paul, "the apostle of the gentiles"(Romans 11:13 KJV), and thus your apostle, speaks the words of the risen, glorified, ascended, and seated "Lord from heaven," Christ, in this dispensation.

Get the red out of your eyes....Red is black...Black is red....

I'll stay standing and take the risen, glorified, ascended, and seated "Lord from heaven"'s words, the words of Christ, over yours.

See how that works?

Fun! See Spot run! Run to Jane, Spot! Run, Spot, run!!!

Take your seat, Forest Bowman.

Bard_the_Bowman

You missed it....Paul is making the argument....If=since......A logical progression...

The context is rewards, not justification.

My mistake-I thought you were human, would have a sense of humor.

I'm not sure what I am so I've been checking "other" on a lot of forms lately.

But I am a little confused. I thought the general biblical principle was that people could pray to the Holy Spirit, pick up the Bible, and then read it and understand it for themselves?

But then when people come to different conclusions it basically becomes "Well, you disagree with my interpretation therefore you are wrong."

So even though people SAY that we can all read the Bible and understand for ourselves, nobody really acts that way in practice. If that was true, then you could say that you disagree with my understanding...but you have no authority to tell me that my interpretation is better or worse than yours.

Show some respect-it is the Lord Jesus Christ. Only his enemies, while he walked the earth, addressed him in his name of humiliation. Master, teacher, Rabbi....yes. "Jesus?" No.

Shame on you Luke, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach," (Acts 1:1)

Shame on you Paul, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." (Romans 3:26)

Shame on you, author of Hebrews, whoever you are, you enemy of Jesus Christ: " by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant." (Hebrews 7:22)

Shame on you, John the Apostle, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." (Revelation 14:12)

Shame on you Angel Gabriel, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus." (Luke 1:31)

How in the world do you get that "Jesus" is a name of humiliation?

He also told his disciples to sell all they have, leave all, show themselves to a Levitical priest, go to Jerusalem 3 times, and, wait for it...................................Observe the law.

Do it.

Correctamundo. There are "intra-dispensatiional" principles, however.

Are you suggesting that selling all they have, leave all, show themselves to a Levitical priest, go to Jerusalem 3 times, and, wait for it...................................Observe the law,....

He meant that only for them and not for us?

Then do it.

Now.

Watch the spin, evasion.....Watch...

"Intra-dispensational principles", huh?

So really, much of what we are talking about really just boils down to interpretation.

By what authority do you tell me that my interpretation is not correct, I wonder?

Please do not respond with "by the Bible's authority" because it is precisely over the meaning of the text in the Bible that we disagree on.

Quite irrelevant....Nice bait'n switch...

No. It was relevant. You said to take up one's cross meant "service". I said it means "suffering".

No bait and switch there.

Never heard that zinger before. Weighty.

False dichotomy. That is slick..real slick...

Fine. Sell all you have, leave all, show yourself to a Levitical priest, go to Jerusalem 3 times/year, raise the dead, heal the sick, make the blind see, observe the law...........................

I thought so.

"the words of Christ"

So more interpretive differences, I see. Old Covenant versus New Covenant. What applies, what doesn't.

I'm curious, in this new dispensation that you see...do the 10 commandments still apply? Jesus did speak of obeying those, you know. Do all of those "thou shalt not's" still apply to Christians today...or not?

I don't recall where Paul teaches about the 10 commandments....

Dig this, rebel, who refuses to rightly divide the word of truth.

See! I knew it! Somebody isn't "rightly dividing" the word of God because we are disagreeing.

But I totally, honestly thought that that is no problem in our "pick up your Bible and understand it for yourself" form of modern Christianity.

By what authority are you correct and I am wrong and not the other way around?

You are not secretly "infallible", are you?

And Tsk, Tsk...name calling already? That isn't very nice.

The Lord Jesus Christ spoke only God the Father's words, while on earth, not his own, as was true of all prophets. Look it up, per Acts 17:11 KJV. The apostle Paul, "the apostle of the gentiles"(Romans 11:13 KJV), and thus your apostle, speaks the words of the risen, glorified, ascended, and seated "Lord from heaven," Christ, in this dispensation.

Oh boy. Another "we must listen to Paul but not to Jesus" thing again.

No thank you!

Get the red out of your eyes....Red is black...Black is red....

I'll stay standing and take the risen, glorified, ascended, and seated "Lord from heaven"'s words, the words of Christ, over yours.

See how that works?

Sure, mimicry is the highest form of flattery.

Thanks for that!

Fun! See Spot run! Run to Jane, Spot! Run, Spot, run!!!

Take your seat, Forest Bowman.

You are really not a very happy person, are you. Sure don't seem like it.

I do wish you Peace.

john w

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what I am so I've been checking "other" on a lot of forms lately.

But I am a little confused. I thought the general biblical principle was that people could pray to the Holy Spirit, pick up the Bible, and then read it and understand it for themselves?

But then when people come to different conclusions it basically becomes "Well, you disagree with my interpretation therefore you are wrong."

So even though people SAY that we can all read the Bible and understand for ourselves, nobody really acts that way in practice. If that was true, then you could say that you disagree with my understanding...but you have no authority to tell me that my interpretation is better or worse than yours.

You said NADA-quite irrelevant.
Shame on you Luke, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach," (Acts 1:1)

That is slick...I asserted:

"Show some respect-it is the Lord Jesus Christ. Only his enemies, while he walked the earth, addressed him in his name of humiliation. Master, teacher, Rabbi....yes. "Jesus?" No."

That is, addressed him, on earth, as in "face to face." Luke is using the term "Jesus," as in "just the historical Jesus."

Clueless.

Shame on you Paul, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." (Romans 3:26)

Shame on you, author of Hebrews, whoever you are, you enemy of Jesus Christ: " by so much more Jesus has become a surety of a better covenant." (Hebrews 7:22)]

And why did Paul refer to him as "Jesus," here?
Shame on you, John the Apostle, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus." (Revelation 14:12)

And the context here?
Shame on you Angel Gabriel, you enemy of Jesus Christ: "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call His name Jesus." (Luke 1:31)

Historic/documentation-his name. Not addressing him.
How in the world do you get that "Jesus" is a name of humiliation?

Common name-humiliation.

"Intra-dispensational principles", huh?

So really, much of what we are talking about really just boils down to interpretation.

By what authority do you tell me that my interpretation is not correct, I wonder?

Please do not respond with "by the Bible's authority" because it is precisely over the meaning of the text in the Bible that we disagree on.

You missed it-you assert that all of what the Bible says, is addressed to everyone, is about them, specifically, and is for their obedience.

No. It was relevant. You said to take up one's cross meant "service". I said it means "suffering".

No bait and switch there.

Bait'n switch. Service.

So more interpretive differences, I see. Old Covenant versus New Covenant. What applies, what doesn't.

I'm curious, in this new dispensation that you see...do the 10 commandments still apply? Jesus did speak of obeying those, you know. Do all of those "thou shalt not's" still apply to Christians today...or not?

Irrelevant. Sell all you have. Raise the dead. keep the law....
I don't recall where Paul teaches about the 10 commandments....

Made up-but not as a basis for justification.

See! I knew it! Somebody isn't "rightly dividing" the word of God because we are disagreeing.

But I totally, honestly thought that that is no problem in our "pick up your Bible and understand it for yourself" form of modern Christianity.

By what authority are you correct and I am wrong and not the other way around?

You are not secretly "infallible", are you?

And Tsk, Tsk...name calling already? That isn't very nice.

Oh boy. Another "we must listen to Paul but not to Jesus" thing again.

No thank you!

Sure, mimicry is the highest form of flattery.

Thanks for that!

You are really not a very happy person, are you. Sure don't seem like it.

I do wish you Peace.

Sell all you have. raise the dead. Make the blind see....And nice psycho babble, with your analysis of my "happiness," Oprah, Dr. Phil.

john w

Hall of Fame
Are you suggesting because Jesus was talking to His disciples He meant that only for them and not for us?....Oh boy. Another "we must listen to Paul but not to Jesus" thing again.No thank you!

Sell all you have.Raise the dead. Pick up deadly serpents. Drink anti-freeze............

"listen to Jesus."

Fraud.