ECT The gap theory?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I was carrying a bowl of chicken broth from the kitchen to the living room and it was sloppy exegesis....took ages to scrub out of the carpet....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Two words making a compound word. Hardwood.

Last edited:

6days

I believe replenish means replenish, not plenish.
"Replenish" at the time of King James meant 'to fill'. English language has changed over the last several hundred years and the word now means 'refill'.
Most modern translations say FILL the earth,,,, Not refill.
Parallel Verses
New International Version
... fill the earth and subdue it.

New Living Translation
...Fill the earth and govern it. Reign

English Standard Version
...fill the earth..

New American Standard Bible
...fill the earth

Holman Christian Standard Bible
...fill the earth,

International Standard Version
... fill the earth

NET Bible
Fill the earth ...

Darby
...fill the earth,

Young's Literal Translation
... fill the earth,

And almost every other translation team realizes the word 'replenish' is not accurate,

6days

Between Vs 1&2 there have been those who have proposed that a gap exists and in this supposed gap it is possible to account for ice ages, dinosaurs, the slow build up of layers of different rocks and generally credit the earth with being millions of years old. This "Gap Theory" was first put forward by a man called Thomas Chalmers in the 19th century in an attempt to make The Bible line up with modern thinking. There is also a play on certain Hebrew words. However, I do not propose to discuss that here because these words have been taken out of context and used incorrectly.
Chalmers figured a way to compromise on what God's Word teaches. But had he looked at the Hebrew, he would have understood that that the text doesn't allow for a gap.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1. The Gap Theory is false because of the mental gymnastics necessary to force its strained argumentation to agree with the actual biblical text.

2. The Gap Theory is false because it is based on an incorrect distinction between God’s creating (bara) and making (asah).

3. The Gap Theory is false because, in the context of Genesis 1:2, there is no justification for translating the verb “was” (hayetha) as “became"

4. We reject the Gap Theory because tohu wabohudoes not mean only “something once in a state of repair, but now ruined.”

5. The Gap Theory is erroneous because there is no evidence for the claim that Satan’s rebellion was on the Earth, or responsible for any great “cataclysm.”

6. We reject the Gap Theory because its proof-text (Isaiah 45:18) is premised on a removal of the verse from its proper context.

7. The Gap Theory is false because it implies death of humankind on the Earth prior to Adam.
http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=9&article=575

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
revpete, you had 4 threads with the same topic. Please do not create anymore threads with the same content. I have deleted the other 3 threads.

Perhaps he thinks that's how a conversation works. :)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Between Vs 1&2 there have been those who have proposed that a gap exists and in this supposed gap it is possible to account for ice ages, dinosaurs, the slow build up of layers of different rocks and generally credit the earth with being millions of years old. This "Gap Theory" was first put forward by a man called Thomas Chalmers in the 19th century in an attempt to make The Bible line up with modern thinking. There is also a play on certain Hebrew words. However, I do not propose to discuss that here because these words have been taken out of context and used incorrectly.

Thomas Chalmers:

Thomas Chalmers FRSE (17 March 1780 – 31 May 1847), was a Scottish minister, professor of theology, political economist, and a leader of the Church of Scotland and of the Free Church of Scotland. He has been called "Scotland's greatest nineteenth-century churchman".[1]

He served as Vice-president of the Royal Society of Edinburgh from 1835-42.

This has not happened yet--

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Rev 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Eze 36:33 Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day that I shall have cleansed you from all your iniquities I will also cause you to dwell in the cities, and the wastes shall be builded.
Eze 36:34 And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by.
Eze 36:35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.
Eze 36:36 Then the heathen that are left round about you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it.
Eze 36:37 Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock.
Eze 36:38 As the holy flock, as the flock of Jerusalem in her solemn feasts; so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men: and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

LA

revpete

This has not happened yet--

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Rev 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Eze 36:33 Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day that I shall have cleansed you from all your iniquities I will also cause you to dwell in the cities, and the wastes shall be builded.

Eze 36:34 And the desolate land shall be tilled, whereas it lay desolate in the sight of all that passed by.

Eze 36:35 And they shall say, This land that was desolate is become like the garden of Eden; and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are become fenced, and are inhabited.

Eze 36:36 Then the heathen that are left round about you shall know that I the LORD build the ruined places, and plant that that was desolate: I the LORD have spoken it, and I will do it.

Eze 36:37 Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will yet for this be enquired of by the house of Israel, to do it for them; I will increase them with men like a flock.

Eze 36:38 As the holy flock, as the flock of Jerusalem in her solemn feasts; so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of men: and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Rev 22:2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

LA

Ok, but two questions:

1) What do mean when you say "This has not happened yet" and Gen 1:28 follows?

2) What has the rest of the scriptures you quoted to do with the thread?

Pete 👤

revpete

Chalmers figured a way to compromise on what God's Word teaches. But had he looked at the Hebrew, he would have understood that that the text doesn't allow for a gap.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1. The Gap Theory is false because of the mental gymnastics necessary to force its strained argumentation to agree with the actual biblical text.

2. The Gap Theory is false because it is based on an incorrect distinction between God’s creating (bara) and making (asah).

3. The Gap Theory is false because, in the context of Genesis 1:2, there is no justification for translating the verb “was” (hayetha) as “became"

4. We reject the Gap Theory because tohu wabohudoes not mean only “something once in a state of repair, but now ruined.”

5. The Gap Theory is erroneous because there is no evidence for the claim that Satan’s rebellion was on the Earth, or responsible for any great “cataclysm.”

6. We reject the Gap Theory because its proof-text (Isaiah 45:18) is premised on a removal of the verse from its proper context.

7. The Gap Theory is false because it implies death of humankind on the Earth prior to Adam.

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=9&article=575

Amen!

Pete 👤

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

Thomas Chalmers:

Thomas Chalmers FRSE (17 March 1780 – 31 May 1847), was a Scottish minister, professor of theology, political economist, and a leader of the Church of Scotland and of the Free Church of Scotland. He has been called "Scotland's greatest nineteenth-century churchman".[1]

He served as Vice-president of the Royal Society of Edinburgh from 1835-42.

Gap theory predates this

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ok, but two questions:

1) What do mean when you say "This has not happened yet" and Gen 1:28 follows?

2) What has the rest of the scriptures you quoted to do with the thread?

Pete ��

The using of the word replenish in Gen ch 1 to try and prove a creation having been ruined and restored in the past is shown to be error when we see that only in our future will that verse be fulfilled.

The scriptures I posted show the word replenish refers to the future fulfillment.

LA

revpete

The using of the word replenish in Gen ch 1 to try and prove a creation having been ruined and restored in the past is shown to be error when we see that only in our future will that verse be fulfilled.

The scriptures I posted show the word replenish refers to the future fulfillment.

LA

Hummm..... I think I see but are you saying then that Gen 1:1 has not been fulfilled yet? You're not saying that are you?

Pete 👤

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Elaborate please!

Pete 👤

There are 2 Gap theorys one for wrong reasons one for right.
The wrong reason is for dinosaur space, to fit billions of years between Gen 1:1-2.

The right reason is to see the fall of satan that caused the earth to be without form and void.

oatmeal

What did God start with to begin creation? He started with water, not ice.

God divided the waters from the waters by creating a gap between the waters. This gap is defined as heaven.

The waters under the heaven were gathered together so that dry land appeared.

Genesis 1:6-8

And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

Please point out from that passage what God says He created on the second day, not what you say God created on the second day.

More to the point, where is the word "create" found in that passage.

God has it in his vocabulary. Why didn't he use it in that passage.

He divided and he called, He did not create.

Genesis 1:7-13

And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Same question, where does God say He created anything on the third day?

there was a dividing, a calling, a gathering, a bringing forth...

But no mention of creating. Did not God author scripture? Does God's vocabulary include the word "create"

Yes, it does, He used in in Genesis 1:1 and later in this same chapter but not in these passages.

Where does God say He created anything on the fourth day? Genesis 1:14-19

We need to learn to take God's word, the scriptures, seriously.

Jesus said jots and tittles were important, how about whole words, like "create"

We do not want to miss the trees for the forest, nor the forest for the trees.