ECT The flesh profits nothing

musterion

The flesh can do nothing for you if you are lost and, without Christ, the flesh is all you have. This is why all of a lost one's most righteous works -- humanly admirable and awesome though they might be -- are as repulsive to God as filthy rags.

The flesh also can do nothing for you if you are saved, for Christ is your life now. God no longer sees you in, of, or as the flesh, but in the Son.

The flesh is no good to anyone.

God's Truth

The flesh can do nothing for you if you are lost and, without Christ, the flesh is all you have. This is why all of a lost one's most righteous works -- humanly admirable and awesome though they might be -- are as repulsive to God as filthy rags.

The flesh also can do nothing for you if you are saved, for Christ is your life now. God no longer sees you in, of, or as the flesh, but in the Son.

The flesh can do nothing is about thinking Jesus was telling the people to literally eat his flesh.

It is never a filthy rag to obey God.

God's Truth

You were taught to misunderstand the filthy rag scripture.

How do you EVER get that obeying God is as a filthy rag?!

The Jews who had to do a righteous act of giving a sin offering, which included offering BLOOD, God did not like it that they would sin then give a sin offering and not really be sorry for their sins; that made the blood offering as a menstrual bloody rag offering. Not being truly sorry for the sin is what made the righteous act of sacrificing animals for their blood as a filthy rag.

Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Our righteous act of FAITH in Jesus is a filthy rag if we do not OBEY HIM.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
John 12:47-50
47 "And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
48 "He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him-- the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.
49 "For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.
50 "And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak."
John 14:15
15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments.
John 15:10
10 "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.
John 3:16-18
16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17 "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(NKJ)

turbosixx

Could you please expand on this, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. I agree outside of Christ the flesh profits nothing but in Christ it can.

Paul said remaining in the flesh meant fruitful labor.
Phil. 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24 yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

Living for the flesh is not good but our flesh is what we use to perform good works that please God.
Rom. 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

turbosixx

What is your question? Not seeing it.

I was hoping you could be a little more specific.
You said," The flesh is no good to anyone"
Paul said, "to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me" and "the flesh is more necessary for your sake"

oatmeal

Could you please expand on this, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. I agree outside of Christ the flesh profits nothing but in Christ it can.

Paul said remaining in the flesh meant fruitful labor.
Phil. 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22 But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23 But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24 yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.

Living for the flesh is not good but our flesh is what we use to perform good works that please God.
Rom. 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

Good question, but for musterion's sake, maybe he would have seen your question if you had put a ? question mark at the middle of your first sentence instead of a , comma. Ie, Could you please expand on this? I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

As your question points out. Flesh has a variety of nuances that must be recognized in order to rightly divide his passages and your passage.

Surely in the case of Philippians 1:21, flesh is a reference to Paul's physical body as in, body and soul and spirit, from I Thessalonians 5:23, " And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." Surely, without a body and soul, we could not read or hear and believe God's word from scripture. We need our body and soul in order to read, via the five senses flesh/body - our eyes and ears, God's written word. Likewise we need our brains, which God provided in order to do that much, let alone process into our hearts and minds what God is communicating to us via His word.

In Musterion's passage, it is a reference to the carnal desires of the flesh and to information acquired by the five senses, ie, facts, ie, temporary, short lived knowledge, wisdoom and understanding, as opposed to
to the knowledge and wisdom and understanding that comes from God via His word, ie, scriptures, and the knowledge and wisdom and understanding that comes from believing God's word and putting to practice.

musterion

I was hoping you could be a little more specific.
You said," The flesh is no good to anyone"
Paul said, "to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me" and "the flesh is more necessary for your sake"

Religiously...or perhaps better spiritually...in terms of righteousness...the flesh can do nothing because nothing it can do is acceptable to God because of sin.

turbosixx

Good question, but for musterion's sake, maybe he would have seen your question if you had put a ? question mark at the middle of your first sentence instead of a , comma. Ie, Could you please expand on this? I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

As your question points out. Flesh has a variety of nuances that must be recognized in order to rightly divide his passages and your passage.

Surely in the case of Philippians 1:21, flesh is a reference to Paul's physical body as in, body and soul and spirit, from I Thessalonians 5:23, " And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." Surely, without a body and soul, we could not read or hear and believe God's word from scripture. We need our body and soul in order to read, via the five senses flesh/body - our eyes and ears, God's written word. Likewise we need our brains, which God provided in order to do that much, let alone process into our hearts and minds what God is communicating to us via His word.

In Musterion's passage, it is a reference to the carnal desires of the flesh and to information acquired by the five senses, ie, facts, ie, temporary, short lived knowledge, wisdoom and understanding, as opposed to
to the knowledge and wisdom and understanding that comes from God via His word, ie, scriptures, and the knowledge and wisdom and understanding that comes from believing God's word and putting to practice.

Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean. It was the very first sentence and didn't feel a request for more information was really a question. Makes me wonder if people really try to understand what you're trying to say. I won't make the same mistake again. I know he doesn't care for my opinion but I do try to understand what others are trying to say. I don't have it all figured out.

turbosixx

Religiously...or perhaps better spiritually...in terms of righteousness...the flesh can do nothing because nothing it can do is acceptable to God because of sin.

Thanks for your reply. Could you please give me your understanding on this verse by Paul in Rom. 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship

musterion

Thanks for your reply. Could you please give me your understanding on this verse by Paul in Rom. 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship

It is simply the reasonable service that all believers should render to God who bought them with the blood of His Son. However, neither continued forgiveness not justification depend on it because all that is the finished work of Christ, received solely by grace through faith.

God's Truth

They do not want to admit that Jesus says the flesh accounts for nothing is about how he did not mean to literally eat his flesh.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Right. Disregard the dead flesh. Reckon yourself dead. You don't, we already know this from past posting.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean. It was the very first sentence and didn't feel a request for more information was really a question. Makes me wonder if people really try to understand what you're trying to say. I won't make the same mistake again. I know he doesn't care for my opinion but I do try to understand what others are trying to say. I don't have it all figured out.

Musty's view of the flesh is Gnostic. "Flesh bad. Spirit good."

The scripture Romans 12:1 you gave him is Truth.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Right. Disregard the dead flesh. Reckon yourself dead. You don't, we already know this from past posting.

Romans 12:1 speaks of a living sacrifice, which is the Christian's bodily service.

When it is taught to crucify the "flesh" it speaks to the corrupted human nature, and repentance from sin . . not our bodies.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
They do not want to admit that Jesus says the flesh accounts for nothing is about how he did not mean to literally eat his flesh.

MADists have a very hard time because of their literalistic approach to Scripture. It causes them to miss out of a lot of good spiritual teaching and prevents them from gaining ability to discern truths.